Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blackburn Transfer Rumours & General Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

McCarthy signed last night for 2.5 million. Good signing and I'm impressed with Hughes. Two decent strikers now signed for less than Bellamy was sold for.

A new left back and right-sided midfielder will be signed now hopefully. I wouldn't mind seeing some cover for central defence signed too.

Would be great to see Rovers go on a good UEFA Cup run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Blackburn as this years 'dark horse' methinks. Two very decent signings.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

Blackburn for top 4 ? :) we have a very solid first 11, maybe first 14 :) as long as everyone stays fit we could do excellent this year :)

That McCarthy signing is fantastic! :)

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

That was last year Mike. This year things could be a bit harder. Rovers still need a left back and cover for other positions. The strikers have been sorted out now though which is good.

I'd be happy if Blackburn finish in the top eight. That said, if Hughes signs a few more players I think a top six finish is within our grasp. I just hope the UEFA Cup doesn't mean the team's league form suffers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Re right wing, is'nt Pederson your man for that job?

I'd be looking for at least top 6.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Expect Roberts to outshine McCarthy by a long way, I know McCarthy's won a CL medal at Porto and has a decent record on the continent, but I don't know how well he'll adapt to the English game. Roberts ahs shown what eh can do at Wigan already, he's a really good signing.

I'd suggest Blackburn would be better off not paying much attention to the UEFA Cup and instead consolidating their league position, top 6 is there for the taking. West Ham, Newcastle and Spurs also have the distraction on the UC, though I think our squad is strong enough to absorb the pressure of the extra fixtures. Everton have a clear run at the league this year, I expect them to do well.

mike65 wrote:
    Re right wing, is'nt Pederson your man for that job?

I'd be looking for at least top 6.

Mike.

He's left and the only reason I think Hughes wasn't in for Duff. Duff is a better player than Pedersen but MGP is on-form and why replace one of the best left-sided wingers in the league. Rovers' financial resources are needed elsewhere.

Right wing is usually Reid (who's far better in the middle), Bentley (too inconsistent), or Emerton (plays well in one out of every 6 games or so).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Not very good signs for a good european run from todays showing anyway,

Thumped as sky sports put it 5-0 against Olympiakos

Not very good signs for a good european run from todays showing anyway,

Thumped as sky sports put it 5-0 against Olympiakos

Look at the team that started though:

Friedel, Agathe (sub Gallagher 63 mins), Khizanishvili, Matteo (sub Todd 46 mins), Gray (sub McEveley 46 mins), Savage (c) (sub Bentley 46 mins, sub Tugay 66 mins), Mokoena (sub Douglas 46 mins), Reid, Peter (sub Gamst 46 mins), Kuqi (sub Roberts 63 mins), Jeffers (sub Derbyshire 63 mins).

Only 3 first-team regular starters - Savage, Reid and Friedel. Friedel even only started because Enckelman injured himself in the warm up. I wouldn't read too much into pre-season friendles, sure Fulham drew with Madrid today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Lemlin wrote:
    Look at the team that started though:

Friedel, Agathe (sub Gallagher 63 mins), Khizanishvili, Matteo (sub Todd 46 mins), Gray (sub McEveley 46 mins), Savage (c) (sub Bentley 46 mins, sub Tugay 66 mins), Mokoena (sub Douglas 46 mins), Reid, Peter (sub Gamst 46 mins), Kuqi (sub Roberts 63 mins), Jeffers (sub Derbyshire 63 mins).

Only 3 first-team regular starters - Savage, Reid and Friedel. Friedel even only started because Enckelman injured himself in the warm up. I wouldn't read too much into pre-season friendles, sure Fulham drew with Madrid today!

it was hardly a reserve team either....Khizanishvili, Matteo, Gray, Mokoena and Kuqi each played a rake of games last term.

it was hardly a reserve team either....Khizanishvili, Matteo, Gray, Mokoena and Kuqi each played a rake of games last term.

Mokoena and Matteo played less than 5 in the league AFAIK. Kuqi only played because of injuries to Bellamy and was fourth choice striker at the end of the season.

Khizanishvili is cover. I'll acept Gray though but hopefully he'll be soon replaced.

Australian defender Lucas Neill wants to leave Blackburn.

The 28-year-old, reported to be a target for Tottenham, has one year remaining on his current contract and has rejected the offer of a new deal.

"They have made an offer which Lucas has declined - he is not going to be signing a new contract at Blackburn," said Neill's agent Peter Harrison.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/b/blackburn_rovers/5246524.stm

Chimbonda to Spurs is back on according to a few papers today so hopefully Lucas won't be going to WHL.

Hughes said that he's interested in Huth yesterday. He'd cost 5m+ but he'd be a good buy and he's young. He and Nelsen would be a great central pairing.

Meanwhile, the team beat Almennia Aachen 3-2 yesterday on the tour of Holland. Benni McCarthy, Roberts and Pedersen all scored in what was apparently a great run out for the team and a game that saw a good understanding between the new strikeforce in their first game playing together.

Good stuff from Hughes - http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_1397037,00.html

Looks like a defender or two is definitely on the cards now.

• Advertisement

good stuff, good stuff, good stuff!

Jemal Johnson gone:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/w/wolverhampton_wanderers/4799191.stm

I'm getting a bit worried now. The season starts in three days and still no new defender.

I'd rather he'd gone. 'Boro apparently offered 2 million. That could be spent far better elsewhere.

• Advertisement

Sparky hasnt led us astray yet :) maybe he sees something in brett for this season that the rest of us do not :)

I'd post this in the Liverpool thread but its currently "missing"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/5298080.stm

Lucas Neill to Liverpool for £2m.

Offer rejected and I can't see him leaving without a replacement right back signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

looks like we are going to be a step or a couple steps back from last year. This is Hughes first big test - his honeymoon period is truly over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Shabani Nonda looks set to join Blackburn on a 1 year loan with an option to buy. Great deal imo, not sure how he's performed at Roma, but he was fantastic at Monaco. Very good replacement for Bellamy and with the fact that its a loan, not much to lose.

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=413264&CPID=8&clid=5&lid=2&title=Rovers+set+for+Nonda+swoop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Shabani Nonda looks set to join Blackburn on a 1 year loan with an option to buy. Great deal imo, not sure how he's performed at Roma, but he was fantastic at Monaco. Very good replacement for Bellamy and with the fact that its a loan, not much to lose.

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=413264&CPID=8&clid=5&lid=2&title=Rovers+set+for+Nonda+swoop
    That's a fantastic loan deal. Nonda hasn't played much in the last few season with injury but when he gets a run of game his goals/game ratio is up there with the best in the world. If he can stay fit he'll no doubt do very well at Blackburn.

I think we could do with a good centre back with a future and another good flexible defender for cover rather than another striker

It's official:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/b/blackburn_rovers/5303764.stm

3 very good strikers at the club now. I just hope Hughes can strenthen the defence in January.

This new defender is turning out to be a nightmare between rubbish defending and own goals.. come back Colin Hendry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,847 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

oh surely Barca arent THAT desperate ? :)

oh surely Barca arent THAT desperate ? :)

Think his agent might be telling porkies - there is no way he would get into the Barca side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Just a note that Blackburns next 2 ties will be live on the box,

tomorrow versus west ham on sky sports,

and on thursday against basle at 7:30pm on setanta

Blackburn fans, whats is the deal with your falling attendances? Think I read somewhere you're down 20% the last four years, other than Bolton and Everton (derby and local enough to be a derby?) you've not topped 20k for league or cup games at home, even Chelsea yielded under 19.5k.

You're arguably playing the best football seen at the club since you won the league, so where's it going wrong? Price of tickets? Fragmented fixtures due to Sky?

I can understand lower turnouts for the cup games TBH, seeing as you don't get access to any cup games with your season book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Where did all the Blackburn fans go?

Very disappointing performance against the old enemy on Saturday, I had that one down for a draw.

The one thing I've always really liked about Blackburn is their home strip, more so with the blue shorts. I could actually see myself wearing it to football sometime...

I'd really love to know what Blackburn fans made of their team's performance against Newcastle yesterday.

I didn't see the game myself but most Toon fans are calling your lot a bunch of dirty thugs and think they went out to get Emre who was dominating the midfield in the 1st half, which led to Pederson seeing him stretchered off.

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/72784413.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19390335F8FA9CA92A68554030EDE708EDEC7631F868A8C7D54

Also, Mark Hughes feeling very hard done by again, moaning about every single decision that went against him - even our first goal which was clearly onside.

I'll reserve judgment for the time being.

kinaldo wrote:
    Where did all the Blackburn fans go?

Was thinking that myself...

Are Blackburn nervously looking over their shoulders yet? Only 2pts ahead of 18th place West Ham, though with a game in hand. They could win that game and move up one place, only 9pts off Liverpool in 4th( :eek: ) but form right now has to be crucial, or they could face an awkward Xmas period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I know Blackburn have a reputation to uphold, but Pedersen a thug... :D

• Advertisement

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I know Blackburn have a reputation to uphold, but Pedersen a thug... :D
    Well I haven't even seen the incident so can't really comment. To think I stayed up past 4am last night just to catch The Premiership repeat which RTE fúcked up by showing the first 40 minutes twice so all I got to see was Man Utd, Liverpool and Pompey. I could go on a rant about why I should bother paying a bumped up TV licence every year for that sort of service but this ain't the place...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

kinaldo wrote:
    Well I haven't even seen the incident so can't really comment. To think I stayed up past 4am last night just to catch The Premiership repeat which RTE fúcked up by showing the first 40 minutes twice so all I got to see was Man Utd, Liverpool and Pompey. I could go on a rant about why I should bother paying a bumped up TV licence every year for that sort of service but this ain't the place...

Hahahaha, oh I'm sorry but thats just brilliant. Typical RTE.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Hahahaha, oh I'm sorry but thats just brilliant. Typical RTE.
    and it's not even the first time they've messed The Premiership up like that :(

*knock knock*
    *door opens*
    Unknown: Yeah?
    Me: Howya Mr Hughes! Can the Irish Blackburn fans come out to play?
    Mark Hughes: No, now f*ck off, they haven't had their dinner yet.
    Me: There's no need to talk like that, I hope Henchoz's red isn't overturned ya poxy [expletive]...

:p

I hear with a capacity of nearly 31400 at Ewood Park, Blackburn are scraping 22k average attendances. What's the story fellas?

I hear with a capacity of nearly 31400 at Ewood Park, Blackburn are scraping 22k average attendances.
    True, their ground is only 66% full on average, the lowest percentage in the league behind Wigan on 71% and none of the other teams are below 80%. Their attendance against Newcastle was 19225 and about 3000 of them were away supporters.

Blackburn to cut prices amid fears Premiership is losing its appeal

Huge TV deals could fund concessions for fans
    Football League in talks to take bigger share of spoils

David Conn
    Wednesday January 24, 2007
    The Guardian

Blackburn Rovers are to use the income from their share of the Premiership's new increased TV deal to cut ticket prices, amid fears that supporters are being priced out of many top-tier clubs. "Our view is that some of this new money must be returned to our supporters in admission prices," the club's chief executive, John Williams, said. "We have not worked the detail out yet, whether to reduce prices across the board, or offer more concessions for children and families, but most clubs apart from the biggest have a problem with crowds, and it is crucial that the game remains a live spectacle."

Article continues
    What are the odds of not seeing thousands of empty seats at Ewood Park some stage next season I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

What's boards.ie plans to get the blackburn fans back on here?

how about pay me in some form to keep bumping this thread and reminding them they exist?

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

yes we do exist.........
    :D

Anyone see that story the Watford manager had his team skip the normal pre match training to take to squad to see 'Rocky Balboa'. Result 2-1 win.

Mark Hughes wheres yur Eye of the tiger???!!!!!
    :P
    +we've signed some 6.5' tall defender called Samba. Any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Energizer

I'm a rovers fan! I'm on boards all the time.

New defender Samba in to help replace Oijer and shore up our defense, Hope he is good! 6ft5in tall!

Thank god neill is gone, was never a fan of his and prayed for him to be transferred during the window!!!

I'm back and I'm sure everyone is thrilled :D

The story with the attendances is that Blackburn is only a small town. I'm glad to see you're so worried about it though therecklessone.

For anyone interested, Budget are actually doing day trips over to Blackburn games for under a hundred euro.

Samba could be a cult figure. It'll be interesting to see how good (or bad) he is. Hughes is pretty shrewd in the transfer market though so I'm expecting him to be good.

Warnock looked good yesterday. It'll be interesting to see how he fares against Premiership opposition though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement