Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autoclave Safety?

Options
  • 09-06-2006 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭

Hey y'all,

How often do you reckon the the Tattoo shops in Dublin check out the integrity of their Autoclaves? By that I mean performing a “spore test” to ensure that the unit is functioning correctly. As far as I know there is no legislation to enforce the matter either.

Cheers,

Baggio.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

according to bodyshock's website they spore test once a month
    heres a link to the page
    http://www.bodyshock.ie/health.htm

*edit* just realised you were talking about tattoo shops...nevermind

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Baggio... wrote:
    Hey y'all,

How often do you reckon the the Tattoo shops in Dublin check out the integrity of their Autoclaves? By that I mean performing a “spore test” to ensure that the unit is functioning correctly. As far as I know there is no legislation to enforce the matter either.

Cheers,

Baggio.

well despite popular belief, i dont think tattoo shops are trying to kill they're clients, but ur right...somebody, please think of the children

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Baggio...

Wilburt ,

Fair play to them...Good that they have the info on the site.

Cheers,

Bagg.

el rabitos ,

Really!? I thought they were all just Sweety Todds. Thanks for setting me straight.:D

The reason I was concerned was because I recently I phoned a certain Tattoo shop, regarding a second sleeve (not mentioning any names of course). I asked about a spore test. The Tattooist proceeded to ask me what a spore test was (and he was not an apprentice - before anyone asks).

Now, I'm not saying that every shop does not take the proper safety precautions. But after that, it got me thinking...

Cheers,

B.

• Advertisement

Baggio... wrote:
    The reason I was concerned was because I recently I phoned a certain Tattoo shop, regarding a second sleeve (not mentioning any names of course). I asked about a spore test. The Tattooist proceeded to ask me what a spore test was (and he was not an apprentice - before anyone asks).

Now, I'm not saying that every shop does not take the proper safety precautions. But after that, it got me thinking...

Cheers,

B.

i hear what ur saying man, that does sound pretty dodgy alright, might be a good idea to report them? u sure u didnt get a receptionist?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

el rabitos wrote:
    might be a good idea to report them?

Report them to who??

Theres no legislation governing Tattooing or Piercing here in Ireland.

Hellrazer wrote:
    Report them to who??

us? the general public? shops earn alot of money based their reputation, he said he didnt want to name names, but word of mouth can spread fast about town

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Name and shame them???
    I wouldnt go down that road--What if it was an honest mistake and it WAS a receptionist that answered the phone and hadnt a clue what an autoclave was???
    That persons reputation (who could be as clean as any tattoo shop here) would be ruined for life.

Hellrazer wrote:
    Name and shame them???
    I wouldnt go down that road--What if it was an honest mistake and it WAS a receptionist that answered the phone and hadnt a clue what an autoclave was???
    That persons reputation (who could be as clean as any tattoo shop here) would be ruined for life.

**** yeah i'd go down that road, but as i said it above, make sure he knows who he's talking to like. even after making sure on the phone, go down to the actual place and ask again. as u said, its someones reputation, but on the other hand, if it was the artist he talked to, its pretty ****ed up

• Advertisement

Yup... I'm keeping quiet on this (it is possible that I was talking to the wrong person).
    But still no harm in asking these studios a few questions. I'd like to see some decent legislation in place.

Cheers,

B.

Baggio... wrote:
    Yup... I'm keeping quiet on this (it is possible that I was talking to the wrong person).
    But still no harm in asking these studios a few questions. I'd like to see some decent legislation in place.

Cheers,

B.

theres every possibility you were talking to the wrong person. its the kind of thing you want to be 1000% sure of before mentioning names

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

We had an "incident" a while back with someone complaining about a certain tattoo shop, i wouldnt go naming names if i were you, but then again im not so.....

Howdy,

Like I said I'm not going to mention anyone. That said....I 'aint going near 'em for a tattoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 13_adi_13

tbh I'd call that place and ask to speak to the manager or whoever is charge of the sterilization room and have a word with them about it. As you said, it might just be a desk-jockey, or some innocent explanation like that. If you get the answers you want it'll put your mind at rest, and if you don't....... yeah, you certainly can take it further. They haven't gotten around to actually legislating to control this stuff, but they do go and inspect the place if they get a complaint. You need to get in touch with an environmental health officer. I think the number for Dublin is 01 8098300

But before anyone should ever think about making a complaint they would really want to have there facts sorted. It could really mess someone up.

Good to have the info on the boards just in case (and hopefully no one will ever have to use it).

Cheers,

B.

I totally agree, probably it can be completely sorted out with a call to whoever's in charge, and there's no need to spread inaccurate and/or malicious gossip that can jeopardise a whole group of peoples' jobs. Nonetheless, it's also very important to point out to the studio in question that even if it was just that a receptionist made a dumb mistake and the studio is actually clean, the receptionists need to be educated enough about the environment they are working in that they don't pose a danger to the studio by ****ing up like that (or in any other ways!). Also, most importantly, if the studio is dirty, than the HSE need to know so that they can pull them up on it. I think that there's no need to 'name and shame' as long as the studio stays clean in future......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Kastro

as far as i know the health board still does regular health checks in the places like they would in a docs or dentists.. if they had any problems id say the doors would be shut...

Kastro wrote:
    as far as i know the health board still does regular health checks in the places like they would in a docs or dentists.. if they had any problems id say the doors would be shut...

No, they only check if there's a complaint against the studio. They called into a few places last year by arrangement to gather onfo for a training day they held last march ('05) but that's it.

Advertisement