Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Decline of Newstalk?

• 09-06-2006 10:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭

I don't know does anyone have the same opinion as myself about this but i feel that newstalk has gotten worse over the past 6-7 months. I wouldve been a regular listener but i feel its has many flaws:

Recycling of news - each different show discusses the same news again and again

Dunphy - Good overall, but i wish he would give it a rest about frank conolly

Orla Barry - Argh, where can i start. Pure muck

Declan Carty " City Edition" - decent show but i dont think it has a future when they get their national licence

Damien Kiberd, his show seems to have been taken over by brendan o'brien. its not very engaging and monotonous

anyone have any views on this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

the earphones in my walkman broke* about 5 months ago so i only get to listen to Off the Ball after work.

imo that show has got better if anything.

*must get new earphones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

well in fairness newstalk is kind of locked down to talk about what's currently in the news, and it's the summer, so the news doesn't really move along with blistering scandal etc.

i'm sure you'll hear about charlie haughy's life a lot during the week, for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

When you are the "Ryanair " of current affairs etc...maybe one shouldn't expect too high a bar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Do we get a recycling of threads discussing the deterioration of Newstalk? :D

But, I agree to a certain extent... Newstalk doesnt have the stick-with-us factor a lot of speech stations have, something that happens more to speech based radio that pure music stations. Listeners to RTÉ Radio 1, 5 Live, Radio 4 and talkSPORT listen longer to that station and don't touch that dial. I'm not sure that Newstalk has that. Its disjointed rather than flowing, each programme does what it thinks, rather than seeing that another show might have discussed the topic already....

Not a fan of Moncrieff's show, a show that just reads out a stream of txt messages, and then crams in items around said text messages, isn't that imaginative. (ref Henry's live events guide)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

T&#225 wrote: »
    the earphones in my walkman broke* about 5 months ago so i only get to listen to Off the Ball after work.

It has got better because Gilroy isn't on it. He is crap. A face for radio and a voice for television.

MM

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

IMO Gilroy is one of the best sports journalist's in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭The Long Fellow

There's nothin stopping them doing a history show or a profile/biography of an irish figure or god forbid an arts show, just to dilute the repeating of the same news every hour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

Dub13 wrote:
    IMO Gilroy is one of the best sports journalist's in the country.
    let him eff off and be a journalist then. I hat is voice and I don't think ugly people should be on TV.

MM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

I don't think ugly people should be on TV.

MM

some people aye :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

There's nothin stopping them doing a history show or a profile/biography of an irish figure or god forbid an arts show, just to dilute the repeating of the same news every hour

I agree with this, even an arts show, I'm sure that would attract a lot of people who used to listen to RTE1 now that Rattlebag is gone. I'm not suggesting Rattlebag exactly but some type of Arts show, a documentary hour, history, irish society etc.

I do think an intelligent phone-in show would be a good idea, especially now that the station is going national.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Jackie laughlin

I left RTE because I wanted talk radio whenever I switched on. (RTE keep slotting in dated pop music shows.) Newstalk satisfied for quite a long time but the dumbing down has become too much for me. I'm back with RTE and I switch off when the awful music starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭crybaby

they save shows like arts and buisness etc for their weekend schedule

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

And it's crap! Pure and unadulterated.

crybaby wrote:
    they save shows like arts and buisness etc for their weekend schedule

Yes, but something during the week would be nice, it would break up the "sameness" of the schedule. Even a 1 hour slot that revolves each day with one day being Arts, another being business news, another on technology...

On a personal note, a book show would be great but I listen to oneword radio online and get all the bookworm feasting I need :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Crubeens

I do think an intelligent phone-in show would be a good idea, especially now that the station is going national.

Is there any such thing as an intelligent phone in show?

Crubeens wrote:

How utterly pedantic! ;)

Of course, upon closer inspection and speculative disection of my post, what I may mean is a phone-in show where contributers give reasoned and intelligent debate on news items and current affairs issues of the day. I believe this would be better than some of the banal (yet sometimes funny!) texts read out by Mr. Moncrieff!

I do not mean an inanimate phone-in show (object) that displays signs of intelligence :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Alan Smith

Crubeens wrote:
    Yeah like today fm Premiership Live after 5 :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

Òff the ball is great , it even is acceptable to the GF when we are in car together.

Hooke I am biased towards for the rugby ...the Hooke and Popey show I love!

Moncrief a bit of a laugh

Down to business very interesting.

City edition ..National? wont work whos gonna tune in when he goes for a walk down a canal in Tullamore or something.....

In general Im a fan and would mainly listen to it over music radio...if I want tunes Ill pick my own!!

In general Im a fan and would mainly listen to it over music radio...if I want tunes Ill pick my own!!

I agree completely with this sentiment. I consider myself a fan of Newstalk but there is definitely room for improvement. Can't stand sports shows ingeneral so don't listen to Off the Ball butI'm sure that anything beats that Des Cahill guy who seems to go on and on and on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I agree that there is a need for an intelligent phone-in show. I like the idea of shows like the Adrian Kennedy phone show, but I can't actually listen to it without wanting to kill every person on it. If Newstalk created a show like that, and filtered out the morons, then I'd be a regular listener.

• Advertisement
Advertisement