Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Argentina v Ivory Coast - 8pm KO

• 09-06-2006 11:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

Messi is out but this should be a good game. Argentina are tipped by many as winners and Ivory Coast tipped by many as dark horses.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

1-0 to Argentina. Ivory Coast could easily get a result though and I'm looking forward to seeing Drogba perform on a world stage. I still maintain he's an integral part of the Chelsea team and alot better than alot of people think.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

The big one, can't wait for this!

Come on Kolo!

Come on Didier!

I feel dirty now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I see an upset here.

Mike.

It'd be a massive upset in terms of pedigree but with the likes of Kolo Toure, Emmanuel Eboue, Didier Zokora, Yaya Toure, Bonaventure (best name ever) Kalou, Aruna Dindane, Didier Drogba and Arouna Kone, would anyone be all that surprised?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

Argentina 3 ivory coast 1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

phew, thought this was the 5pm game. at least i will be able to watch all of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

just looked on paddypower.com and down in lead at 10,20,30-60 mins section it says draw at 10 mins is 1-8 odds... like oh my god.... im gonna do that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

I wouldn't be all that suprised if the Cote d'Ivore got a draw from this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'm so excited about seeing Heinze play again.
    I have this great image in my mind of Drogba throwing his weigth around, and running into Heinze, and then just falling to the floor.

Heinze you legend :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Anyone have any idea what the starting XI for the Argies might be?

Imagine coming up against Heinze/Coloccini/Sorin/Ayala or pretty much any Argentinian defender... scary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

1-Roberto Abbondanzieri; 21-Nicolas Burdisso, 2-Roberto Ayala, 6-Gabriel Heinze, 3-Juan Pablo Sorin; 18-Maxi Rodriguez, 8-Javier Mascherano, 5-Esteban Cambiasso, 10-Juan Roman Riquelme; 7-Javier Saviola, 9-Hernan Crespo

No Carlos Tevez though :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Sizzler wrote:
    8-Javier Mascherano

Legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

This should be a good game, arguably the 'biggest' game of the tournament (only game 5 though) so far!

Just hoping for a good game. Argentina have a squad that could win the WC, but it depends on what type of Brazil is there and what type of Argentina for that matter. I would not be surprised to see Ivory Coast win this match. And who will ever forget Cameroon beating Argentina in 1990, Omam Biyik and all that.
    eirebhoy wrote:
    Messi is out but this should be a good game. Argentina are tipped by many as winners and Ivory Coast tipped by many as dark horses.

Will Messi play any part in this tournament? As a potential brilliant player at full fitness and sharpness, he is a big loss for them if he's out for the tournament.

redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

PHB wrote:
    I'm so excited about seeing Heinze play again.
    I have this great image in my mind of Drogba throwing his weigth around, and running into Heinze, and then just falling to the floor.

Heinze you legend :)

Running tru Heinze more like, hes playing CB and Drogba runs tru players if bayerns Lucio one of the Best Cbs in the world couldnt stop him or Utds very own, what makes you think a LB will stop him?

Drogba will score or create today if i was Ivory coast manager i would put Drogba on heinze and tell him to stay away from Ayala.

Maxi the weak link in the Argie team imo not very good as a striker not very good as a mid.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Running tru Heinze more like, hes playing CB and Drogba runs tru players if bayerns Lucio one of the Best Cbs in the world couldnt stop him or Utds very own, what makes you think a LB will stop him?

Heinze is a CB by his nature, he just happens to be a great LB too.
    Argentina normally deploy him as a CB.
    The man is built like a tank and I don't expect much from Drogba tonight, he'll be great for the Ivory coast, but I think they are overrated.

PHB wrote:
    Heinze is a CB by his nature, he just happens to be a great LB too.
    Argentina normally deploy him as a CB.
    The man is built like a tank and I don't expect much from Drogba tonight, he'll be great for the Ivory coast, but I think they are overrated.

Drogba can rough up any defender, he's shown that. Just look at how Paraguay struggled with Crouch today, Drogba is a better player than Crouch and would trouble any defence with his physical presence.

If the Ivory Coast weren't in such a tough group, I'd have a few quid on him for top scorer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Anam

KdjaC wrote:

Drogba will score or create today if i was Ivory coast manager i would put Drogba on heinze and tell him to stay away from Ayala.

Maxi the weak link in the Argie team imo not very good as a striker not very good as a mid.

kdjac
    Agree about Drogba.I think he will cause the argies some problems tonight,i reckon they will score but Argentina will take the 3 points.

3-1 to Argentina imo especially if we see Messi and Tevez come off the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

mike65 wrote:
    I see an upset here.

Mike.
    Me too Mike...which is why I have a few on IC to beat the Argies at 7.2 on betfair.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Looking forward to this one, would not be surprised to see I. Coast getting a result. Ah hell, I'll go for an exciting 2-2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

No Aimar in the starting 11! Much rather see him than Maxi! and Saviola for Tevez!? Something tells me Pekerman is underestimating the Ivory Coast.

• Advertisement

Slurms wrote:
    No Aimar in the starting 11! Much rather see him than Maxi! and Saviola for Tevez!? Something tells me Pekerman is underestimating the Ivory Coast.

Or we are overestimating Tevez?

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    Or we are overestimating Tevez?

kdjac
    I dont think so, hes been a star for Corinthians and has been amazing throughout the entire season. Whereas Crespo has really played a bit-part role for Chelski and Saviola seems to run hot and cold.

Slurms wrote:
    I dont think so, hes been a star for Corinthians and has been amazing throughout the entire season. Whereas Crespo has really played a bit-part role for Chelski and Saviola seems to run hot and cold.

i always apply the "if hes was good he would be in Europe" rule to players from SA :)

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Our flag colour sharing brothers :) I think Argentina will take this one but wouldnt be suprised if Ivory Coast hold out for a draw.

KdjaC wrote:
    i always apply the "if hes was good he would be in Europe" rule to players from SA :)

kdjac
    He would be in Europe if Corinthians hadn't of slapped a €120 mil price tag on him!

Slurms wrote:
    He would be in Europe if Corinthians hadn't of slapped a €120 mil price tag on him!

They paid 21 for him real offered 18 but they dont own him, its one of those 4 people have to get paid for him to come over. But if he was that good he be here.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    They paid 21 for him real offered 18 but they dont own him, its one of those 4 people have to get paid for him to come over. But if he was that good he be here.

kdjac
    Well we'll agree to disagree because I rate him very highly. And Chelski said that they're gonna go in for him next season.

from BBC

Argentina: Abbondanzieri, Burdisso, Ayala, Heinze, Sorin, Rodriguez, Mascherano, Cambiasso, Riquelme, Saviola, Crespo.

Ivory Coast (probable): Tizie, Eboue, Kolo Toure, Kouassi, Boka, Fae, Yaya Toure, Zokora, Akale, Kone, Drogba.

Referee: Frank de Bleeckere (Belgium)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Revelation Joe

While the national anthems were playing, just heard Johnny Giles saying:
    'Do you want me to talk?' :rolleyes:

Del

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Think the Argies may have a bit more creativity. A slender Argie win with both teams scoring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

What does the Argie formation look like? I missed it on the tv.

SofaKing wrote:
    What does the Argie formation look like? I missed it on the tv.

On the pitch 442

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Argentina robbed of a goal :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

1-0 Argentina

Crespo pounces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

Saviola makes it 2-0 just after Bizzaro-Ireland squander a few really good chances. :(

• Advertisement

Ivory Coast look good but very weak in defence. At least they're creating chances and one of the forwards missed a sitter in the six yard box after a knock down from Drogba.

I can see why Argentina didn't start Tevez. They've had two decent chances up front and both have ended up in the net.

Canny 2-0 Naive

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Entertaining game so far. The inexperience of IC is showing. They are a powerful team with potential but they seem to only know how to attack, which makes it great for us as they wont stop attacking all night!

The type of team that if they take the lead they will blow you apart.

As for Drogba roughing up centre backs across the world, occassionally he shows his strength but more often than not hes on the ground rolling from another blow of air. Ayala and Heinze will be more than able for him.

Argentina look very solid,they have a goal or two more in them,but i think Ivory coast could get a goal yet.

im sticking with my 3-1 prediction.I think the reason Messi was left out was that IC are a very physical team and he is only coming back from injury.I expect Tevez to make an appearance in the 2nd half.

Hopefully CIV can get a goal early in the second half to make a game of it.

The ruthlessness of Argentina's attacking is very impressive. Very pleasing on the eye and even though they haven't created a great number of chances they're 2-nil up. The Elephants on the other hand have created quite a few chances but have only really troubled the keeper once. Very enjoyable game to watch, I'd like to see Eboue get forward more in the second half though.

• Advertisement

As for Drogba roughing up centre backs across the world, occassionally he shows his strength but more often than not hes on the ground rolling from another blow of air. Ayala and Heinze will be more than able for him.

He's giving them trouble so far. Getting into good positions and had a superb knock down there that the other striker should have buried.

Lemlin wrote:
    He's giving them trouble so far. Getting into good positions and had a superb knock down there that the other striker should have buried.

Have they had a clear cut chance yet for all their possession?

Yes, the chance that Drogba knocked down was a sitter. Kalou had a good chance too but didn't realise how much time he had.

Look at what you are quoting!

Ivory Coast the new Bulgaria with Arg taking swedens place.

This could get worse for IC, be nice to have a 4-3 cracker tho :)

kdjac

Are you watching this game, they've had two very good chances Abdul Kader Ketia's header and Akale shot early on.

Mike.

Lemlin wrote:
    Yes, the chance that Drogba knocked down was a sitter. Kalou had a good chance too but didn't realise how much time he had.

Drogbas chance wasnt bad, good block from Ayala, but a tough chance from that angle. I just havent seen them trouble the goalie yet. Argentina will be more than happy to soak up the pressure and hit them on the counter.

mike65 wrote:
    Abdul Kader Ketia
    Just rolls off the tongue!

Drogbas chance wasnt bad, good block from Ayala, but a tough chance from that angle. I just havent seen them trouble the goalie yet. Argentina will be more than happy to soak up the pressure and hit them on the counter.

I wouldn't even count the shot Drogba had blocked as a decent chance. Look at what mike65 and others are saying. Are you watching the game and concentrating on something else!?

Lemlin wrote:
    I wouldn't even count the shot Drogba had blocked as a decent chance. Look at what mike65 and others are saying. Are you watching the game and concentrating on something else!?

Didnt actual see what mike is on about I dont think. I aplogise kind sir!

• Advertisement
Advertisement