Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Argentina v Ivory Coast - 8pm KO

2»

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

KdjaC wrote:
    Ivory Coast the new Bulgaria with Arg taking swedens place.

This could get worse for IC, be nice to have a 4-3 cracker tho :)

kdjac
    Looks that way too I think, CIV are playing so openly. Great to watch but it may not end well for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Didnt actual see what mike is on about I dont think. I aplogise kind sir!

You're grand, just wondering what you've been watching, the Ivory Coast have had their fair share of chances. As many as Argentina I'd say. Argentina are just giving the debutees a lesson in how to be clinical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Lemlin wrote:
    You're grand, just wondering what you've been watching, the Ivory Coast have had their fair share of chances. As many as Argentina I'd say. Argentina are just giving the debutees a lesson in how to be clinical.

Gone dead now, can see another one for Argey.

Here comes Dindane, I was wondering how long it would take.

Why is that every African keeper I see seems to be a flapper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Should Eboues yellow be rescinded and it given to the other guy after the match?

No need for him to do that when they had the ball.

All argentina now, another goal coming.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Kenny Cunningham certainly rates Ayala. "I'll take over here, I've watched enough of him over the years" (or something like that). :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

And then Sorin tries to finish it by getting him sent off.

Classy side.

kdjac

Drogba slides it wide, it's just not going to be their night.

DRRRRRRRROGGGGBA!

Grandstand finish now perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

Ivory Coast scores, finally! :D Drogba with nine minutes left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Well taken goal.

Although the way he grabbed the ball from the net and ran back up the pitch with it is irritating. Teams who are losing by two goals and then score in the latter stages of a match always do it.

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    Well taken goal.

Although the way he grabbed the ball from the net and ran back up the pitch with it is irritating. Teams who are losing by two goals and then score in the latter stages of a match always do it.

He doesn't want Argentina time wasting. Fair play to him. I knew he'd trouble defences at this World Cup.

Disallowed Argentina goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭chiller

argentina had a hard game

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Duras

Great game, I think that Ivory Coast were a bit unlucky, but still I believe Argentina proved it is one of the favourites.

Lemlin wrote:
    He doesn't want Argentina time wasting. Fair play to him. I knew he'd trouble defences at this World Cup.

If that goal put the Ivory Coast into the lead he wouldn't have done it.

• Advertisement

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    If that goal put the Ivory Coast into the lead he wouldn't have done it.

And your point is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Every team thats behind will do that if they peg back a goal. Every team, every player in the world (unless they're stoopid).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Ivory coast deserved the goal, but didn't deserve to win in my opinion..

the diving was unreal in that match..

astrofool wrote:
    Every team thats behind will do that if they peg back a goal. Every team, every player in the world (unless they're stoopid).

I know that. We all know that.
    I have seen it hundreds of times over the years.
    For some reason I find the double standard annoying. Probably it's just me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

The diving was ridiculous, I thought the refs are meant to punish diving in this WC?
    I've seen Germans dive (clearly) and get waved away by the ref and now Drogba and his typical antics and the Argentinians. If there is a dive the player should be booked for it, simple as!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

A good game. Both teams showed they have capability, Argentina certainly deserved the win and Ivory Coast showed that they are a side that have nothing to fear and acquitted themselves well. They are clearly on the same form level as Cameroon were in 1990. The problem they have is their group is very tough, so it wont be easy getting out of it. Argentina have got over a major hurdle and if they play to their ability will get out of the group.

The Diving was terrible though. There is a solution for it. All thats needed is some post match decisions that punish players who dive in the match and feign injury. There has to be a deterrent to doing so. Currently, there is no deterrent, and players all over the world are at it, even in the Phoenix Park. So at the WC, they could set an example, as its a curse on the game, and is getting up the nose of myself for years now and Johnny Giles. The solution is simple - review the matches after on video and for each dive, punish the player heavily, a one match ban if they do so for one dive For 3 or more dives a two match ban, etc. If treated seriously, the players will equally treat it serious;ly and will in time learn not to do it. Deterrents teach people new behaviours. Currently, no deterrent, in fact players gain if they get away with it, and do it more.

Its another thread though ..... feel free to start one ....

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Slurms wrote:
    The diving was ridiculous, I thought the refs are meant to punish diving in this WC?
    I've seen Germans dive (clearly) and get waved away by the ref and now Drogba and his typical antics and the Argentinians. If there is a dive the player should be booked for it, simple as!

The problem is that the players are faking it and from the ref's angle/viewpoint etc and in realtime it is very difficult to spot and punish right away. The Ref's cant punish what they dont see, and hence this is ideally treated in video post match. The Ref's do catch some and they should be punished with mandatory yellow cards I would have thought, although I have noticed in FIFA matches over the last year or so Ref's arent punishing dives with yellows as they did at the start of the 'new interpretation'.

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Fair play to Drogba, I thought he'd be ****e in the team, but he did have a decent game, with a great finish at the end.

It was a fun game, CIV played well but class showed in the end.

Diving was atrocious

PHB wrote:
    Fair play to Drogba, I thought he'd be ****e in the team, but he did have a decent game, with a great finish at the end.

He's alot better than people give him credit for. I think him and Sheva will be unstoppable up front this season for Chelsea.

He's one of the best forwards I've seen at winning the ball in the air and holding it up. I'd love to see stats because I'd bet that Lampard and the other Chelsea midfielders score more goals when Drogba is playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Definition of an Argentine player.

Smaller than average, stocky, follically unchallenged man with incredible natural footballing ability often found in the undergrowth clenching an undamaged part of his body.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Definition of an Argentine player.

Smaller than average, stocky, follically unchallenged man with incredible natural footballing ability often found in the undergrowth clenching an undamaged part of his body.

Rofl! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Think we coild be looking at the group of death here... Especially if Sebia come up with some goods against Holland.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Lemlin wrote:
    He's alot better than people give him credit for. I think him and Sheva will be unstoppable up front this season for Chelsea.

He's one of the best forwards I've seen at winning the ball in the air and holding it up. I'd love to see stats because I'd bet that Lampard and the other Chelsea midfielders score more goals when Drogba is playing.

Drogba showed a lot of class in that game against Argentina, but hes never utilised properly for chelsea, and in my opionion looks a completley different player entirely. Rumours are about that mourniho is changing his formation next season to try and win champions league, maybe well see the real drogba then.

Advertisement