Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football :: Angelina Jolie

• 09-06-2006 11:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭

As an aside from the England thread, while I'm thinking:

For the many, many, people who 'support' English teams and who rarely, if ever, would see them in the flesh...
    (Obviously this wouldn't apply to those who travel regularly, have a connection and get their 'fix' :) etc)

:: SEEING AS FOOTBALL IS ABOUT HEART ::

Is your connection to your English club like what connects me to Angelina Jolie (or famous female of your choice!)?
    • The fact that I've seen her on the telly.
    • I've read about her in the papers.
    • I'd love to give her one.
    • I may have met her once or twice, for a very short time.

Would it change within my existing relationship at home:
    In football terms, could it substitute for within my existing relationship at home:
    • The fact that I love my girlfriend at home?
    • Any aspect of our relationship that has lasted years?
    • My fantastic connection with her?
    • Whether or not I would be there for her?
    • Our combined experience?
    • The fact that I get everything and more than I could ever get or want from someone so far away, no matter how 'big' they are considering the distance?

If I was unattatched:
    • Would knowing Angelina Jolie existed somewhere make me refuse every girl at home?
      • And with that, the experience of our relationship and joy that she would bring me?
    • Would seeing Angelina once every 2 years for about 2 hours make me turn down every girl at home in anticipation for this bi-annual event - which can often be a let down?
      • Sacrificing years of experience and emotion for that distant meeting?
    • Would I be ashamed to be seen with any local girls knowing the above merely exists?
    • Would knowing that Angelina is on telly on Saturday night make me refuse to go out with an Irish Girl for a few hours on Friday night?

Would Angelina be mine:
    • If I watch her on the telly for 2 hours a week?
    • Or 20 minutes if there isn't a full length feature on - at least I tried right? :eek:
    • If I buy some of her merchandise?
      • Would your partner at home mind any of the above?
    Would Angelina mind:
    • If I had someone I saw between the yearly gaps of our 2 hourly meeting?
      • Provided you still watched her when possible and contributed to her pockets

Is it safe to say the answer to the above would ALL be no (except for the first 3, which are most likely yes?)? Personally, I would think so! :)

Would it be possible to have a relationship with someone at home, and give Angelina a good seeing to when the opportunity arose?:
    • Most definately yes!
    • With a sly hand anything is possible! :)

Sorry, I'm stuck at home tonight, and thought it might make an interesting comparison! Maybe it will, maybe it won't - I'm tired and not sure how well up I did it!

Could you be cellibate for the sake of someone you rarely see, and often only see on the telly? Surely that'd be like being cellibate for Jenna Jameson or something?! ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I've had this argument countless time before - what if the girl at home lived two hours away from me so I might as well just watch Angelina. At least she's on telly ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I like the comparison. The problem is too many footy fans in this country seem to only want the fantasy of Angelina Jolie and have no interest in a real relationship.

Live your life like that and pretty soon people around are going to think you're a weirdo but do it in terms of football and you're in the majority around here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Nice post.

The problem is that it gets you when you're young, really young, pre-school young.
    It meant something in the playground in 1970 when I was four, it fills some void that we need (mostly men it seems) to be part of something bigger than our family, our class, our community. Maybe it's glamour, maybe it's plain greediness to be entertained. But it's there and people have been liking it for a long time now.

Me? I'll be at a quite important under-12s GAA game tomorrow while England strut their stuff.
    Sure, I'd like to see the soccer, but there's no competetion, I'd prefer to be at a REAL game where it matters more.
    I hate the way Irish have to cubby-hole everyone and everything. Live your own life and don't listen to the whiners. I can pasionatly support Liverpool AND support the local u-12s GAA team (by giving up a few hours a week in training them), all in the same life. Wow.

Get a grip people, and go help out your local sports teams in some way.....much better than just LOOKING at it, whether on tv or live.

Dr. Nick wrote:
    Nice post.

The problem is that it gets you when you're young, really young, pre-school young.
    It meant something in the playground in 1970 when I was four, it fills some void that we need (mostly men it seems) to be part of something bigger than our family, our class, our community. Maybe it's glamour, maybe it's plain greediness to be entertained. But it's there and people have been liking it for a long time now.

Me? I'll be at a quite important under-12s GAA game tomorrow while England strut their stuff.
    Sure, I'd like to see the soccer, but there's no competetion, I'd prefer to be at a REAL game where it matters more.
    I hate the way Irish have to cubby-hole everyone and everything. Live your own life and don't listen to the whiners. I can pasionatly support Liverpool AND support the local u-12s GAA team (by giving up a few hours a week in training them), all in the same life. Wow.

Get a grip people, and go help out your local sports teams in some way.....much better than just LOOKING at it, whether on tv or live.

I'd agree fully. I've no problem going to see my local GAA team (or playing for them as I did for a number of years) and this years game against Down was the first Cavan GAA game I'd missed in years. I missed it because my final year exams started the next morning.

I support Blackburn too. Why? Because, as I've said countless times before, not all of us were lucky enough to grow up in Dublin or within even an hour's drive of an Eircom League team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Dr. Nick wrote:

if i had an Eircom League team near me when i was growing up who knows? and yes i do support my local and county hurling/football teams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Do you have one near you now?
    As I tried to compare, probably poorly, above - would knowing that a hot famous bird existed somewhere put you off ever developing something with someone at home (whether you're 4 or 40 - it's always great to develop new relationships - right?)?

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    As I tried to compare, probably poorly, above - would knowing that a hot famous bird existed somewhere put you off ever developing something with someone at home (whether you're 4 or 40 - it's always great to develop new relationships - right?)?

Nope, still living in Cavan. Only time I'm in Dublin is for work. I work Friday evenings when most of the games are on too.

Einst&#252 wrote: »

where i live now, no. 30 miles away and i would love to get the bus but that is inconvenient

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I wish the Irish girls were as popular with Irish lads as Angelina is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

nice post, but youre missing one important fact.

love is blind.
    unfortunately, while a witty analogy, theres a vast difference between a loving relationship, and supporting a football team. nice idea though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Sex with Angelina Jolie twice a year is better than it doing it all year with Mary Hearney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

That's the most intelligent thing you've ever written PHB and I agree fully.

Stop trying to guilt-trip me into supporting something I don't care about. Won't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

PHB wrote:
    Sex with Angelina Jolie twice a year is better than it doing it all year with Mary Hearney.

That may be true but it still means you're only gettting it twice a year.

Besides I've found most Angelina fans are still virgins and most of them don't even seem interested in ever getting experience either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

Where ignorance is bliss.......

I dont mind people supporting English/Scottish soccer,its something a lot of people are born into but its the lack of respect to our domestic league that i hate!!

For those that support English/Scottish soccer because it's a better standard of football than League of Ireland,why then,dont you support Spanish football which is a much better standard than English/Scottish and why then dont you support the Brazilian national team which is a much better standard than the Irish national team????

The original post is a witty point but one thing to think about:

An Irish girl can entertain you (live or on television)
    Angelina Jolie can entertain you (just by watching her on television)
    The Premiership can entertain you (just by watching it on television)
    The EL cannot entertain IMO (whether you're watching it live or on television).

And I fully realise I'm probably in for a slaughtering for saying that but I'm still waiting on someone to address my point and the point of others like mossy monk:

What are all the people who live in rural areas an hour or so away from the Eircom League do?

Good point,they dont want to travel the hour or so to the EL game,so instead they'll support another league and travel to a whole other country to watch "their team"

There's a man from Cavan who drives himself,his wife and kids to Tolka park every Friday night and gets to most away games too!!

An hour away is alot closer than Manchester,Liverpool,London,Glasgow etc..

Lemlin wrote:

:D;):p:) :rolleyes: :o :mad: :( :eek: :cool: :confused:

Anto McC wrote:
    Where ignorance is bliss.......

I dont mind people supporting English/Scottish soccer,its something a lot of people are born into but its the lack of respect to our domestic league that i hate!!

For those that support English/Scottish soccer because it's a better standard of football than League of Ireland,why then,dont you support Spanish football which is a much better standard than English/Scottish and why then dont you support the Brazilian national team which is a much better standard than the Irish national team????

Because I'm from Ireland and I take pride in our nation. I also support the Cavan GAA team because I'm from Cavan and, no matter how terrible they are, I take pride in how they do, especially since they got to the last 12 in the All-Ireland last year. Now, what Eircom League team do you propose I support? I'm not from Dublin, Monaghan, Dundalk, Drogheda or Longford.
    Anto McC wrote:

Good point,they dont want to travel the hour or so to the EL game,so instead they'll support another league and travel to a whole other country to watch "their team"

I've been watching Blackburn since I was ten. I didn't have the chance to watch an Eircom League team when I was ten.

I'd wish you lucky trying to find someone in my family, even general area, willing to bring me for the hour drive it took to get to an Eircom League game. It'd then take an hour home too.

Anto McC wrote:

or how about watch the foreign league on tv. coverage of Irish soccer has always been scarce whereas English football has always been readily available

Lemlin wrote:
    Because I'm from Ireland and I take pride in our nation. I also support the Cavan GAA team because I'm from Cavan and, no matter how terrible they are, I take pride in how they do, especially since they got to the last 12 in the All-Ireland last year. Now, what Eircom League team do you propose I support? I'm not from Dublin, Monaghan, Dundalk, Drogheda or Longford.

I've been watching Blackburn since I was ten. I didn't have the chance to watch an Eircom League team when I was ten.

I'd wish you lucky trying to find someone in my family, even general area, willing to bring me for the hour drive it took to get to an Eircom League game. It'd then take an hour home too.

Ok, we've established that you couldn't support the EL because of your location etc... and that you have little or no interest in it now, so why do you post something like "The EL cannot entertain"?

Of course it can (and regularly does) entertain.

• Advertisement

Lemlin wrote:

Do you travel over to see Blackburn though?
    Do you support English football over Irish because it's a better standard?

Mossy Monk wrote:
    or how about watch the foreign league on tv. coverage of Irish soccer has always been scarce whereas English football has always been readily available

Very true and it's not exactly something EL fans are happy about either!!

If EL football was shown live weekly would you consider supporting a team then?

I watch English football regularly too,i dont have a team but i watch it all the time,i watch almost any football thats on TV,I'm sick of watching Sky Sports and having Andy Gray tell me the premiership is the best in the world,it hasnt a patch on La Liga but yet some people actually believe him!

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Ok, we've established that you couldn't support the EL because of your location etc... and that you have little or no interest in it now, so why do you post something like "The EL cannot entertain"?

Of course it can (and regularly does) entertain.

Because I've been to EL games. I'm not a person who is going to knock something I haven't tried. Last Summer my girlfriend lived beside Tolka and I went to a few Shelbourne games. I've also been to some Sligo Rovers games.

I do take an interest in it too. I was happy to see Shels did well in Europe and often read the Eircom League news in the paper and on here.

What I can't stand is the constant view on here from some people that people who don't watch the Eircom League aren't proper football supporters. If it doesn't entertain people, just relax and accept it. Different strokes for different folks. There's no need to constantly ram your opinion down our throats.

Many people like myself didn't have the option to watch it.
    Anto Mc wrote:

Do you travel over to see Blackburn though?
    Do you support English football over Irish because it's a better standard?

1. I haven't yet, due to a lack of funds, but I plan to.
    2. Yes, I do. I'd prefer to watch the likes of Henry and Craig Bellamy to Glen Crowe, who couldn't cut it with Wolves in the First Division. And, as I've said numerous times, I grew up watching the English Premier League. Watching the Eircom League wasn't an option.

Lemlin wrote:
    1. I haven't yet, due to a lack of funds, but I plan to.

So you complain about travelling an hour but yet your willing to travel to whole other country!!
    2. Yes, I do. I'd prefer to watch the likes of Henry and Craig Bellamy to Glen Crowe, who couldn't cut it with Wolves in the First Division. And, as I've said numerous times, I grew up watching the English Premier League. Watching the Eircom League wasn't an option.

Well La Liga is the best league in the world so why dont you perfer to watch that over English football,seeing as football quality makes a big difference in your eyes?

Anto McC wrote:
    If EL football was shown live weekly would you consider supporting a team then?

who knows. maybe its too late for me but for children now it is important it gets regular coverage on terrestrial tv

Anto McC wrote:
    So you complain about travelling an hour but yet your willing to travel to whole other country!!

Is that honestly the best argument you can come up with? There are countless reasons I'd prefer to go and see Blackburn. Here's a few:

1. It's a holiday.
    2. I grew up watching Blackburn and so have a connection with the team. What's my connection with Longford, Shels etc.?
    3. As pointed out, I've been to see Eircom League teams so I have travelled to watch them before. Just didn't find it interesting.
    4. I can't afford a car yet (just out of college) for the hour travel to and back from the games. Its two hours by bus and buses don't go back to Cavan from Dublin after 9 so I wouldn't be able to get one back anyway.
    5. Seeing as I can't travel regularly, I can watch Blackburn on the TV each week. Can I watch Shels etc.?

If the Eircom League had been on TV when I was younger (or even now), I'm sure I'd watch it. The fact is that it isn't, bar the odd cup final or highlights shown at about 1am on a Monday morning.

Well La Liga is the best league in the world so why dont you perfer to watch that over English football,seeing as football quality makes a big difference in your eyes?

I do watch it too. As mentioned though, MOTD was the only soccer programme when I was younger so I don't support any La Liga team. Just enjoy the football.

Lemlin wrote:
    Is that honestly the best argument you can come up with?

Its as good as arguement as any!!

You have a few geniune reasons as to why you dont support the EL like location etc and thats fair enough,plus you actually went to a few EL games which is more than most so fair play,you're not exactly of kind of English soccer fan i'm at ends with but i still say this,in regards to your location Dublin/Longford/Sligo are a lot closer than Blackburn and you talk about money and just being out of college but your are willing to spend a good few hundred quid to go to 1 game!!

I accept you arguements and have a lot more respect for you than other Premiership fans,i hope your trip to see your team goes well and you enjoy and you have lots of fond memories to last you till the next time you go over.

I have lots of fond memories of supporting my team,they only need to last me a week really because come every friday(bar off season) i get to do it all again!!

Anto McC wrote:
    Its as good as arguement as any!!

You have a few geniune reasons as to why you dont support the EL like location etc and thats fair enough,plus you actually went to a few EL games which is more than most so fair play,you're not exactly i kind of English soccer fan i'm at ends with but i still say this,in regards to your location Dublin/Longford/Sligo are a lot closer than Blackburn and you talk about money and just being out of college but you are willing to spend a good few hundred quid to go to 1 game!!

I accept you arguements and have a lot more respect for you than other Premiership fans,i hope your trip to see your team goes well and you enjoy and you have lots of fond memories to last you till the next time you go over.

I have lots of fond memories of supporting my team,they only need to last me a week really because come every friday(bar off season) i get to do it all again!!

Well I get that most weeks with GAA because I'm more of a GAA man that a soccer supporter.

As I said though, that 1 game also involves a trip for a bit of craic in Manchester. I can go to Dublin any week and do for work. Fact is I work Friday evenings when the majority of Eircom League games are on but I don't think I'd go anyway TBH.

I think its important that the Eircom League gets TV coverage to gain widespread appeal. I'd watch it if it was on TV because I watch all types of soccer but it'd also help to get kids in rural areas get more involved in the League and put them in a positon to go to the games when they are older and can travel or are living/working in cities or towns nearer the games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Anto McC wrote:
    I accept you arguements and have a lot more respect for you than other Premiership fans

God I hope the Eircom League dies.

• Advertisement

PiE wrote:

Why's that?

I don't know, I grew up loving United and Giggs and Cantona, but I'm fairly sure if I had grown up supporting Shamrock Rovers, I'd be a rovers fan through and through.

Get em when you're young.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭chiller

when i lived in cabra my dad use to take me to all the bohemians
    matches. however when i was 10 we moved out to blanchardstown and he stoped going so i lost interest in the league.at the time i was a big manchester united fan,and became more intersted in the premier league. i still like to see bohemians do well, but i find part-time football slow and boring IMO. if the league got proper funding and more matches were shown on television,the league might gain more support and a higher standard of football would come of it. but as for the comment "your not a real football fan if you dont support an irish team" how can u support this point? so am i a fake football fan because i only support manchester united?

chiller wrote:
    if the league got proper funding and more matches were shown on television,the league might gain more support and a higher standard of football would come of it.

Its a vicious circle,if more people came to the games,there would be more money,more people would watch,standards and stadia would improve and everyone would be happy!!
    as for the comment "your not a real football fan if you dont support an irish team" how can u support this point? so am i a fake football fan because i only support manchester united?

I personally do not support this point,My father supports English football and has no interest in Irish football,I understand that most people are born into this and thats really hard to change but i wish the same people had a little respect for the EL too!!!

but i wish the same people had a little respect for the EL too!!!

Most people would if we didn't hear the more holy than thou ****e

PHB wrote:
    Most people would if we didn't hear the more holy than thou ****e

If you're going to let a few opinions(i dont take the "Holier than thou" approach myself) affect your respect for the EL well then i'm thankful of your lack of support!

The EL needs fans,not shallow supporters!

• Advertisement

Well that's great, but most people can't stand it.

Personally, it's all about how you're brought up imo, I will never understand why the EL doens't give free tickets to every school kid in the country.

PHB wrote:
    Personally, it's all about how you're brought up imo, I will never understand why the EL doens't give free tickets to every school kid in the country.

Both myself and my brother had free season tickets to Shels for a number of years, and Bohs give all the local schools free tickets and have numerous "Free child with every adult" deals etc...

Shelbourne gave out free season tickets at the sell-out Dream Team games, thats brilliant marketing imo, and you can still see it in the age breakdowns of the Shels fans.

PHB wrote:
    Personally, it's all about how you're brought up imo

I've said that already,although im an exception in that sense,all my older brothers support English teams,i just never really got into it the same way i did the EL!!
    I will never understand why the EL doens't give free tickets to every school kid in the country.

You'll find that most clubs do,or have some kind of scheme for schoolkids.At Shelbourne,all kids under 16 get a pass for the season that lets them in free once they are with a paying adult!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Lemlin wrote:

cough cough depends on your view of entertaining, excuse joesoap tv reception he lives in the sticks and had his brother in the corner holding the aerial for 90 minues. :p

The jolie post is actually stupid and condesdending towards PL fans im gonna guess it came from foot.ie, why not get George Bush to go to Palestine and ask him to start converting the Muslims to christianity, same idea really convert them to something thats flawed and has issues and comes in crappy receptovision. Would that work?

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

PiE wrote:

So that we dont have to worry about how badly the national team are going to do? If theres no League there is no national team. On the flip side the stronger the league the stronger the national team.

• Advertisement

Yeh I know they have schemes and stuff, all clubs do.
    But if you packed every stadium with young kids, in 10 years time, you'd have a huge fan base. It's really simple, but it's expensive so alas :/

KdjaC wrote:
    cough cough depends on your view of entertaining, excuse joesoap tv reception he lives in the sticks and had his brother in the corner holding the aerial for 90 minues. :p

Rofl :D

How about the May 'Goal of the Month' competition?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYDiefJEZV8

Even Sligo and Longford were firing in screamers last week!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcbnZ2ckkIM

PHB wrote:
    Well that's great, but most people can't stand it.

PHB most people dont know what they cant stand as they have never seen it, the goal i posted above lit up anotherwise crap game, how many games a season do you see in any league that the game was **** except for one moment of brilliance????

Altho the 2nd line is spot on, i wouldnt ask any PL fan who thinks the EL is **** to go, no point really as i said before they not fans of live games they like tv. But i do bring several kids to every home game my 2 kids and 4 of the road. They love it and have been literally gutted we havent had a home game for several week and wont for 3 more. They even want to get a mini bus to see shels away to see why ehhh someone dislikes them so much. Get em in young :D

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    The jolie post is actually stupid and condesdending towards PL fans im gonna guess it came from foot.ie

Personally i dont think it is!

I've been on foot.ie and it's not on there but i think i'll link it now!

KdjaC wrote:
    have been literally gutted

:eek:

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    :eek:

We havent had a home game since Derry 12/05/06, been like forever now wont have one till the 23rd, got a new pitch tho went by it yesteday its wider.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    We havent had a home game since Derry 12/05/06, been like forever now wont have one till the 23rd

No need to take it out on the children! :D

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    No need to take it out on the children! :D

Ummm they gutted too, every friday they at the door 7pm with bag of sweets, heheheh kids bringing me sweets :)

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭raheny red

KdjaC wrote:
    We havent had a home game since Derry 12/05/06, been like forever now wont have one till the 23rd, got a new pitch tho went by it yesteday its wider.

kdjac

Are you sure it hasn't been since the late 80's ;):p

raheny red wrote:
    Are you sure it hasn't been since the late 80's ;):p

80s as in decade or 80s as in average crowd for Shels ???

If the latter is that inclusive of away fans?

/Zing

kdjac

• Advertisement
Advertisement