Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Courtmacsherry

• 10-06-2006 2:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭

Howdy,

I'm going to the already mentioned area of Cork in August for a week, just looking about the net and I'm not seeing too much about it, what I do see is all the same stuff on every page basically.

So, anyone from that part of the country that could fill me in on the details that you wont find on the tourist brouchure, ie the real Courtmacsherry, what is there to do, whats the town really like etc etc, I got the idea that its a pretty small fishing village but as we'll be using it as a base to see other areas of Cork it doesnt have to be the liveliest of towns.

Many thanks,

CroppyBoy1798

ps, a few pics if anyone has any would be cool too!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭daphil

Courtmacsherry is the best known of the 3 villages in the Barryroe parish, Lislevane and Butlerstown being the other 2. Firstly don't limit yourself to Courtmac. The commercial fishing is nearly gone just a couple of working boats, but angling is a big part of it now. There are 3 pubs and a hotel in the village. The Lifeboat is a bit touristy The Anchor is the place for music and craic on a Sat while owner John Young gives the Pier house a very unusual athmosphere. There are 3 beaches within 3/4 milesand miles of signposted walks. The scenery especially around Butlerstown is out of this world.
    There is a 10 day festival (including Regatta Day) which starts this year (I think) on the August bank holiday weekend. if you want anymore info or pics E-mail me.
    Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Was down in Courtmac on Sunday, its a lovely quiet place and a great place for exploring Cork, theres lovely coastal drives down towards Clon, this would prob be the best place if you're looking for some lively pubs, music and great food...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Just got back from Courthmacsherry yesterday and thought I'd leave a bit of a review for anyone interested in visiting.

We stayed in Bayview Lodge, its situated in the new housing estate on the far end of Courthmac, just above the caravan area. Its a grand little village, as already mentioned earlier its more so a fishing village. About four or five pubs, but only one little shop (that I could find anyway), the next nearest shop being a little mini mart in the next town Timoleague, about 3km around the coast.

Courthmacsherry was a great base for exploring other areas of west Cork, about 15km or so from Clonakilty and Bandon, two great little town, the former particularly for those interested in all things Michael Collins :D. I'd also recommend 'Jakes' in Bandon shopping centre for a good honest no nonsence meal!

There isnt much to do in Courthmacsherry itself, if fishing is your thing you can hire a boat to fish, or hire a fishing rod there and try your luck at the pier, which seems to come alive at night with both fish and fishers when the tide comes in. There are great woodland walks with the occasional steps down to little private beaches and eventually a clearance onto an open cliff side walk with some nice views.

I'll throw in a few pics for anyone interested:
    100_3294.jpg

thiswayhome.jpg

100_3491-rs.jpg

Hope thats of some help for anyone visiting the area in the coming days, months or year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement