Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

97/98 Ron

Options
  • 10-06-2006 10:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where I can find 98 RON unleaded, preferably in south county dublin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bought an F355?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Mayshine wrote:
    Anyone know where I can find 98 RON unleaded, preferably in south county dublin

I think Shell in Dalkey have it. Although you'd really be better off going through the Yellow Pages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

mike65 wrote:
    Bought an F355?

Mike.

I wish, but the S2000 I have doesn't really want 95, Everytime I open the fuel tank there is a big label 'encouraging' me to put int 98 octane. Also in 55,000 miles I think it has only had one fill of 95, from me and it does feel better on the high octane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

What is the story behind the scarcity of 98 RON here? Have the petrol companies not noticed that there are a lot of high-performance vehicles flying around the place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Spit62500

As far as I remember, the sale of 98 RON petrol has been banned in this country for a number of years on environmental grounds (higher levels of benzine, which is carcenogenic). That's why its not sold here. Some petrol companies like SHell sell a more expensive 95 RON petrol (V Power) with detergents that may improve the performance of cars with dirty injectors but read the small print of their claims before paying extra - its still 95 RON.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

If that's true then presumably 98 RON petrol cannot be purchased legally anywhere in the state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Spit62500

That'd be my understanding of the situation. The Irish Shell website makes no mention of Optimax which I would have thought that it would if its garages were selling it. Its a shame - even ordinary cars run more happily on 98 RON with improved fuel economy. I brought my Primera to France a couple of years back and noticed an improvement in economy of about 3 to 5 mpg (according to the computer). It felt brisker as well. There's plenty of benzine in 95 RON as well - I'm not sure that there's any major health benefits in having only 95 RON - better to have improved commuting solutions - I'll stop before I start ranting :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Anyone know whats the nearest garage in the North then that sells 98ron?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You can buy a Castrol octane booster in Motor Factors - Consort have it.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

Why not just go to Halfords and get some Octane booster? Pour one bottle in before filling up, simple as that. Works out cheaper than buying 98octane in the garages.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

98 was not banned :rolleyes:

Petrol companies decided there was not a market for it. Statoil were the first to stop doing it. You could get 98 RON in most of Dublin this time last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

So - I don't want octane booster - Just a garage that sells premuim unleaded - Looks like Ireland doesn't get it.

That sucks - And I remember when it was here, the premuim you waid for it was rediculous.

Its a pity we are still such a 'Paddy' country in these regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

The thing is.. with petrol prices the way they are now, 98 RON would probably the price that 95 is now, a year ago!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I got it the other day on the road between the loughlinstown roundabout and bray. Can't remember the name of the place right now for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭bspoke

98 ron is not sold over here anymore cause the government whacked it with higher tax than 95. Every once in a while a garage might bring in a tank of it themselves but it is not officially supplied to them.

You can either throw in a bottle of octane booster every time you fill the tank or get your car remapped to run properly on 95ron although it is only really turno powered engines that seem to suffer from the wrong juice. Natuarally aspirated engines dont seem to be as affected by it

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭turbo

you can get 98 ron in Shankill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

Yep - Esso in Shankill do it. Been looking for a petrol station for a couple of weeks that does it. It's €1.29 at the moment - Super Unleaded Plus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭smarty

Orlee wrote:
    Yep - Esso in Shankill do it. Been looking for a petrol station for a couple of weeks that does it. It's €1.29 at the moment - Super Leaded Plus.

Shouldn't it be Unleaded? Or is that the LRP stuff?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

No 98 octane available in the Mid West afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

smarty wrote:
    Shouldn't it be Unleaded? Or is that the LRP stuff?

Oops sorry - Edited. Should be the unleaded!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Don't see why anyone would either (i) travel to buy 97/98 RON petrol or (ii) pay €1.29 per litre when you can use the Castrol octane booster at a cost of about 5c per litre to treat regular unleaded.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Cerberus

Octane boosters are not like Ronseal. They don't do exactly what they say on the tin. At best all they do is fool the knock sensors into thinking that there is no knock. To increase the octane rating of a fuel by 2 or 3 RON takes a lot more that just dunking a can of stuff into your tank. They change the frequency of the flame front during detonation and fool the knock sensor into thinking that all is ok inside your cylinder. This may not be a problem on naturally aspirated low power output engines but on big bhp/liter turbo engines this can blow a hole straight through your piston over time.

If you have a big bhp turbo jap car and are running on 95 RON petrol (as most people in Ireland are forced to) then you only have 1 real option: Get your car properly setup (remapped) for 95 RON. Anything else is only gonna shorten the life of your engine and cost mucho yoyo. I have a big bhp turbo jap car and have tried the best of these octane "boosters" for myself and found that my car ran worse on them than it did on 95 alone. Boost was all over the shop. Waste of 15 euro a fill in my opinion. There is plenty of independent research out there that would conclude the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

I tried additives for a few months and tracked mpg along with bum sensors ;)

No disernible differnece in either..

Advertisement