Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formatting breaks in FF

Options
  • 10-06-2006 12:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Hi,

I'm in the process of putting together my first somewhat more advanced website (at least in comparison to the 'hello world' type website I've done before). After much toiling I found that the formatting looks okay in IE, but breaks in Firefox, which is somewhat frustrating. Could anyone give me any pointers as to what the problem might be? Any feedback on the page in general would be welcome as well. Site is still very much a construction site, only the front page has been set up, don't try any of the links.

The url is www.polishfoodindublin.com

Cheers, Thomas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

i'm not sure but maybe table width can be fixed using pixels? what i normally do when setting up template base with tables, i just have a look at other people websites. Try using different browsers and see how it looks like. Then see the source code. Good way to learn!

mart

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭the evil lime

I'm in work at the moment, so I don't have all the browsers and such at my disposal.

However, I've had problems with this sort of thing before and I find it tends to relate back to the CSS Position and Float attributes. There is a way of getting them to work in both IE and FF, but I never remember it and seem to have to figure it out from scratch each time. Still, I'd try messing with them if I were you.

It also looks dodgy in safari on the mac btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭eoge

Hi Thomas,

First of all, I think that's a great idea for a web site. I look forward to browsing it when it's done. Also, for a first-time (ish) site, it's not too bad. :)

OK, it's not straight forward to see exactly what's going on by looking at your code. There's a whole lot more there than needs be. May I suggest you do the following: browse this page for a layout that suits your site. Play around with the code and try to understand what's going on. Next, copy the content elements from your current site into the template. Copy only the content of your pages and none of the code you are using for layout. This means no tables. When you're done, the site will look as you expect in most browsers, without you having to do any extra work.

You might be interested in reading this article and following the links in it. I think (if I remember correctly) this is what got me really interested in standards. When you start working with web standards, you have to worry a whole lot less about whether it'll look right in IE, Firefox, Safari, etc. and it'll stop you running into difficulties like the one you're in now.

Good luck! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 cheesemonger

Thanks everyone for your responses! After debugging the code for 1/2 day I finally fixed the underlying problem (seems I forgot to set the margins for the middle column).
    @eoge: Thanks for the links & the feedback! I'll be checking those out.

Advertisement