Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History - Any Ideas..?

Options
  • 10-06-2006 1:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hey!! Does anyone have any advice on what to study for History. Particularly the Sovereignty and Partition course...? My teacher recommended doing the Rising in particular because this is the 90th anniversary or something. But I hate taking risks... Anyone got any advice...?
    Also - Any advice on Dictatorship and democracy would be appreciated.
    For that I plan on studying -
    The rise of Mussolini and Hitler.
    The Show trials.
    ..what else would you recommend..?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 emmet101

Home Rule Elections 1885-86
    Treaty Negotiations & Dail Debates 1921-22
    Hitler's Rise to Power 1919-32 (economic and social resaons for)
    Origins and events of the Cold War 1945-1963 (up until Cuba)

If you study the case study's it would help a lot but it's notoriously difficult to predict what's going to come up in history, but seeing as this is a new course I think Hitler and the Treaty will come up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Particle-Boy

emmet101 wrote:
    Home Rule Elections 1885-86
    Treaty Negotiations & Dail Debates 1921-22
    Hitler's Rise to Power 1919-32 (economic and social resaons for)
    Origins and events of the Cold War 1945-1963 (up until Cuba)

If you study the case study's it would help a lot but it's notoriously difficult to predict what's going to come up in history, but seeing as this is a new course I think Hitler and the Treaty will come up.

Ok thanks! Yeah I'm doing exactly the same as you in the non-Irish course. - And for the US I was thinking of doing the Counter Culture and all that stuff..? And I should probably do a vietnam case study... God.. So much to do.

And you're right. This is the first year of the course so.. perhaps it will be less horrifying for that reason?? *hopes*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Whatever topic youre doing: Case Studies Case Studies Case Studies!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 emmet101

Its very hard to spead out a case study into 3 or 4 exam pages, and you have to do the study for them yourself given the tiny amount of information in the books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

Anyone doing Bismark and all that era? oh dear lord so much to do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

I don't do history myself, but my sister said that for the exam itself just write as much as you can, like just dont stop writing

She got 100% so she knows what shes talking about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Nazi Propaganda please come up!

Stick closely to the Sample Paper released by the Department

(www.examinations.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 schnupi

for irish section i would study fianna fail - 1932 and the eucharistic congress and the 1916 rising + war of independence.. thats wot i am doin.. maybe look over the policies fianna fail introduced ..

hmm for the european section u chose the right topics to revise i think.
    for the second european topic i would recommend doin all the european treaties up to 1957, the cold war tensions and advancements in technologies

havent done any history for a while but i ll dedicate 3 hrs for it 2morro or jus read a little before goin to bed i think

God.. this week will NOT be fun. Maths followed by French followed by History followed by Art history!!! Wtf like?? Gah... Anyways this is what I plan on studying from the Irish Sovereignty and partition course..

Events leading up to the Easter rising and its aftermath
    Cumann na Ngaedhal's economic and social policies
    The Eucharistic Congress
    Treaty Negotiations and the outcome...

God.. that's all so ****ing boring....
    -

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Essays I have prepared:

"To what extent were economic and social conditions contributing factors in the rise of fascism in Germany?" (basically the growth of Hitler to power)

"How important was Karl Benz contribution to the invention and early history of the motor car, it's impact on society and the war?" (pretty basic case study)

"How did the Eucharistic Congress of 1932 reflect the Irish people, and their catholic identity" (also pretty easy case study)

"Evaluate the impact of womens involvement in the workforce during world war 1" (mentioned both in Britain, and Germania)

"Outline the reasons for industrial growth in Germany and to what extent did it contribute to social tensions from 1871-1914" (probs my best essay, got an A1 on this bad boy)

"Outline how the structures of European dimlomacy were affected by the naval race of Wilhelm2" (I have a feeling this will come up)

Thats all I have really revised, I will prolly read over them For an hour or two before the exam, Anyone think that's enough? or should I go over Bismarck, and the treaty negotiations? Cause I only really know one Irish topic, that might not even come up :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭RagShagBill

I'm starting to worry a little about History. I managed 95% in the mocks, and am repeat of that would really put me in good stock. I've studied all the Case Studies; the Civil War; the economic policies of Fianna Fail and Cumann Na Gael; the Polish, Yugoslavian and Czech uprisings/moves towards reform; Italy under Mussolini; Germany under Hitler; Russian under Stalin; why Britain remained a democracy; and bit of France.

I reckon, if I have a look over them once or twice more, I'll be sorted. Still, History has such a wide-span, anything could arrive on Wednesday really. I'm confident however that the department is too yellow to omit case study questions. Here's hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 SQgal

do ye think the dept will stick close to the sample paper?? god im screwd if its a hard paper

I did a History grind in the Institute at Christmas and the teacher said that, although they haven't officially stated so, the Case Studies are more or less certainties. After hinting at that, I don't think the Department could omit them. Results would be, I think, terrible. Given that this is the first year, I don't think they'd be brave enough to risk that.

That said though, they hardly want everyone to get As, which would no doubt be the scenario if case studies came up on every question.

Yeah. I agree..this is the first year of the new course and they will want a good response. So.. They should put up a few case studies. And even if they don't - I can't imagine that any of the essays would be too difficult...
    Although I am having a horrible time studying Irish history. It's just so boring and I didn't take ANY of it in ALL year... Bah. I suck. I would love the A though..

We'd all love an A. I'd say they'll try maintain an A rate - A1 and A2 - at 15-17% combined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Kovik

Bear in mind that the department has said that essays will come up from at least two of the three perspectives in each book (politics, economics, culture).

So, I'll be covering:

Nation States and International Tensions:
    1. The chapters on Bismarck and Wilhelm II, specifically their effects on European diplomacy.

2. Colonial rivalry

3. The eastern question.

4. The outbreak of the war.

One of those will likely come up from the political perspective and many of them overlap. To be safe, also cover:

5. Anti-semitism in Russia and France.

6. Church-state relations in Germany and Italy.

Two very easy questions. That's half a perspective. Very good chances.

The case studies, apart from the naval race, are whey ghey and tough to write on. Wouldn't bother with them. Women in the workforce will likely come up if you want to make absolutely certain.

The Pursuit of Sovereignty and the Impact of Partition:
    1. Economic policy of CnaG and FF up until the outbreak of the war.

2. The economic impact of world war 2 north and south (including the case study).

I'm banking on one of them coming up. Cram all the figures in the book and you'll pick up marks.

3. The treaty and the Dáil's response (including case study).

EDIT: There's also a lot of buzz around 1916 coming up, due to the celebrations this year. History is not considered a paper that's routinely arranged with a topical approach, but it might be worth having a look anyway.

After that, I'd say you're pretty much safe. Those three essays are very straightforward. If you're still unsure, cover the piss easy cultural perspective as well (only two chapters).

It's worth pointing out that if you prepare for essays one and two, you've covered a full perspective so there's a very, VERY good chance that one will come up.

Dictatorship and Democracy:
    1. The rise of fascism in Germany.

2. Administration in the Nazi state. This question might be more specific, citing "propaganda in Nazi Germany" or something (includes Nuremburg rallies case study).

3. Hitler's foreign policy and the outbreak of war.

4. Russia under Lenin and the development of the communist administration.

5. Stalin's Russia as a totalitarian state (includes show trials case study).

6. Stalin's foreign policy and wartime effort.

After that, there's a few others you could look at. This part of the course is definitely the hardest to predict, so:

7. Fascism in Italy (I have no idea what type of question could be asked about Mussolini. The mock asked about his domestic policy, but his rise to power and foreign policy could also come up).

8. Economics in Britain (includes the Jarrow march).

9. Church-state relations in Italy and Germany.

10. The Holocaust.

Those last four are real back-ups as they'd be reasonably tough to get a full essay out of. My approach to studying this? Cram the night and morning before. It's the only way to remember such a mass of information.

Oh, and for the contextualisation questions in the case studies:

Elections: The effect on the political landscape of Britain and Ireland (or something along those lines).

Strike and Lockout: Unionisation of the working classes (include Belfast) or living conditions in Dublin.

GAA: Is not coming up.

So, yeah, there's my predictions. I thank you for letting me put off my maths revision for another twenty minutes.

Me new, btw.

Toodle oo.

Kovik wrote:
    Bear in mind that the department has said that essays will come up from at least two of the three perspectives in each book (politics, economics, culture).

So, I'll be covering:

Nation States and International Tensions:
    1. The chapters on Bismarck and Wilhelm II, specifically their effects on European diplomacy.

2. Colonial rivalry

3. The eastern question.

4. The outbreak of the war.

One of those will likely come up from the political perspective and many of them overlap. To be safe, also cover:

5. Anti-semitism in Russia and France.

6. Church-state relations in Germany and Italy.

Two very easy questions. That's half a perspective. Very good chances.

The case studies, apart from the naval race, are whey ghey and tough to write on. Wouldn't bother with them. Women in the workforce will likely come up if you want to make absolutely certain.

The Pursuit of Sovereignty and the Impact of Partition:
    1. Economic policy of CnaG and FF up until the outbreak of the war.

2. The economic impact of world war 2 north and south (including the case study).

I'm banking on one of them coming up. Cram all the figures in the book and you'll pick up marks.

3. The treaty and the Dáil's response (including case study).

After that, I'd say you're pretty much safe. Those three essays are very straightforward. If you're still unsure, cover the piss easy cultural perspective as well (only two chapters).

It's worth pointing out that if you prepare for essays one and two, you've covered a full perspective so there's a very, VERY good chance that one will come up.

1. The rise of fascism in Germany.

2. Administration in the Nazi state. This question might be more specific, citing "propaganda in Nazi Germany" or something (includes Nuremburg rallies case study).

3. Hitler's foreign policy and the outbreak of war.

4. Russia under Lenin and the development of the communist administration.

5. Stalin's Russia as a totalitarian state (includes show trials case study).

6. Stalin's foreign policy and wartime effort.

After that, there's a few others you could look at. This part of the course is definitely the hardest to predict, so:

7. Fascism in Italy (I have no idea what type of question could be asked about Mussolini. The mock asked about his domestic policy, but his rise to power and foreign policy could also come up).

8. Economics in Britain (includes the Jarrow march).

9. Church-state relations in Italy and Germany.

10. The Holocaust.

Those last four are real back-ups as they'd be reasonably tough to get a full essay out of. My approach to studying this? Cram the night and morning before. It's the only way to remember such a mass of information.

Oh, and for the contextualisation questions in the case studies:

Elections: The effect on the political landscape of Britain and Ireland (or something along those lines).

Strike and Lockout: Unionisation of the working classes (include Belfast) or living conditions in Dublin.

GAA: Is not coming up.

So, yeah, there's my predictions. I thank you for letting me put off my maths revision for another twenty minutes.

Me new, btw.

Toodle oo.

Wow! Thanks for the detailed response there! It was quite helpful! (assuming what you say is credible) Are you not studying anything on the 1916 rising though..? My teacher seems pretty certain something will come up on that. What with it being the 90th anniversary or something. I don't really know what is so significant about that though...

And why isn't the GAA coming up in the contextualisation question?? Bah.. that's the easiest one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

Here's (most) of what I've done so far:

Nation States and International Relations:
    1. Bismarck's Germany
    2. Wilhelm II & Weltpolitik (+ Case Study)
    3. Anti-semitism in France and Russia

1. Mussolini (Rise of, Economy, International Relations)
    2. Hitler (same ^ + Nuremburg Rallies)

So much to learn, so little time. :(

Also, what should I focus on for the Irish course? I'm thinking 1885/86 Elections then 1916 Rising, Treaty and Civil War. They ask 4 questions on each area, so I'm pretty sure they're going to spread it evenly over the timeline (Here's hoping anyway).

I got 95% in the two European essays on the Mocks, but was let down by my poor knowledge of later Irish history and the fact that my unfinished (unstarted) project was taken into account. :( If Bismarck and Mussolini come up I will be a very happy man.

Edit: Do I really need to know the World Wars? I was never quite comfortable with them and If I can get away with it I'd rather avoid them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

Enlil_Nick wrote:
    Also, what should I focus on for the Irish course? I'm thinking 1885/86 Elections then 1916 Rising, Treaty and Civil War. They ask 4 questions on each area, so I'm pretty sure they're going to spread it evenly over the timeline (Here's hoping anyway).

My teacher told me(and the sample and past papers back him up) that there'll be one question pre-civil war and three on after the civil war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Kovik

Wow! Thanks for the detailed response there! It was quite helpful! (assuming what you say is credible) Are you not studying anything on the 1916 rising though..? My teacher seems pretty certain something will come up on that. What with it being the 90th anniversary or something. I don't really know what is so significant about that though...

And why isn't the GAA coming up in the contextualisation question?? Bah.. that's the easiest one!
    Yeah, there's a chance that 1916 will come up, but I wouldn't bank on it. It's not like the language papers where they try to keep everything contemporary and topical. While there's a good chance, I find that section long and pretty tough to write about and, if they wanted to avoid being predictable in their first year, this is the place to do it. The treaty is a better one to cover, in my opinion. But I'll add it to the original post all the same.

And the GAA isn't coming up because there's no cartoons about it. It looks to me like they'll want a written document and a cartoon for the case study question. But, I could be wrong.

Remember, I'm just predicting. I could be completely wrong. But God, I hope not.

• Advertisement

Kovik wrote:
    Yeah, there's a chance that 1916 will come up, but I wouldn't bank on it. It's not like the language papers where they try to keep everything contemporary and topical. While there's a good chance, I find that section long and pretty tough to write about and, if they wanted to avoid being predictable in their first year, this is the place to do it. The treaty is a better one to cover, in my opinion. But I'll add it to the original post all the same.

And the GAA isn't coming up because there's no cartoons about it. It looks to me like they'll want a written document and a cartoon for the case study question. But, I could be wrong.

Remember, I'm just predicting. I could be completely wrong. But God, I hope not.

Thanks! That's sound advice. Well, I've kinda already gone over the Easter rising but I will now go and do The treaty and the Civil war. And then I'll do The Cumann na nGaedhal's social and economic policies. That covers a wide area of the course and I really don't have time to go over anything else. Especially with the other courses that I need to revise... Ah.. I hope everyone gets what they want!! I always find it comes together on the day. Famous last words right there... -_-

Advertisement