Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DNS issue

Options
  • 10-06-2006 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Eh, I somehow added an IP on my local network as DNS on my router. It's coming up as DNS, and it is being passed through by DHCP. I could reset the rourter, but that's a lazy solution. Anyway, the router is a Linksys WRT 54 GS, well a picture paints a thousand words.
    route.png
    ccoffey@Elzar:~> cat /etc/resolv.conf
    # generated by NetworkManager, do not edit!

nameserver 192.168.1.101
    nameserver 83.245.40.10
    nameserver 64.5.32.38

Anyone got an ideas of an elegant solution to fix it, on the router?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Google isn't helping, the one relevant thread I found was giving out about NetworkManager's intransparency! Respondents to that suggested that the ns addresses are coming from dhcp, but that's rubbish in your case. Is grep available on the box, or can you copy the files somewhere it is? The ip address has to be stored somewhere you can edit it out from...

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

I don't have a wrt but would it not be possible to

echo -e IP \\n IP > /etc/resolv.conf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

It's nothing to do with the machine, it's just the router. On my windows machine
    C:\Documents and Settings\Ciaran>ipconfig /all
    Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
            Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 802.11g Wireless LAN PCI
            Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-08-A1-8D-65-0B
            Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
            Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
            IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.102
            Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
            Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
            DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
            DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.101
            Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 10 June 2006 12:07:02
            Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 11 June 2006 12:07:02

Oh well, I don't mind doing a reset, have to stick stuff in the attic later anyway.
    I can edit resolv.conf myself, but I'd need to do it everytime after dhcpcd.
    I wonder how I did it. I was messing about with somesettings on the router and set something to that IP, deleted it, but for some reason it's still in as DNS 1.
    I should point out, there are no computers on the network 192.168.1.101. The internet still works, but I'd imagine it queries 192.168.1.101 first, waits for a time out, and then tries 2. Oh well. Thanks for your time so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Have a look in the Local Network page - you may have an entry for Local DNS that you can clear. Better yet, assuming this model does DNS forwarding, set your Local DNS to 192.168.1.1.

Advertisement