Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do any of you have A PCI graphics card

Options
  • 10-06-2006 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭

Hey i know this isnt really the right place to put this but i figure that many of you do not look in the wanted for sale section and some of you might be able to help me. So i understand if the thread gets locked but i would appreciate it if you kept it open.

Im looking for a PCI graphics card must be at least a 64 MB modle although preferably I would like as high end a modle as possible.

If anyof you have any please let me know.

Cheers
    Chris

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Is it for your system?

I hope you not expecting it to play games........

Komplett have PCI cards but they are shockingly priced ~€80 for a FX5200

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

YEah it is for my system and yes i do know it is probably one of the worst riggs belonging to anyone on boards,but i havent been able to get a job for teh summer so i wont be able to buy a decent pc for at least a year now so I figured i will do what i can with this . I know it will still be ****e for playing games but i hope to get Morrowind working on it and hopefully BF 1942.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

You should be able to squeeze by with those two games if you stick to 640x480 and low details.

A while back someone was saying that a PC World store in Dublin had PCI GeForce 6200's they would be a small improvement over the GeForce 5200 if you could get one.

With the 6200 at the top of the pile : ) the next best I can see online is the FX5500 at Dabs which is really just a slightly higher clocked FX5200 but that's about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Pc world definately have PCI 6200's.

As for BF1942, it'll run grand with a decent card. One of my crap lan computers is an 800mhz p3 with 320mb ram - same as your core system - and a 64mb Geforce 4 mx and it runs bf1942 at 800x600 with options on medium.

Cheers havok thats good to know,Id have thought that Morrowind would be less demanding then 1942.

• Advertisement

I think the minimum specs for morrowwind are more or less the same as bf1942 (500mhz, 32mb t&l) but I couldn't tell you how it'd run....some games run alot better on lower specs then others, luckily BF1942 is surprisingly one of those games

Odd ,i thought BF1942 would be very demanding.

Yeah, so did I. One thing its demanding on is ram.....cpu not so bad. As I said, I play LAN with a 800mhz pc and 320mb ram, 64mb geforce 4 - obviously as long as a powerful computer is acting as server, can run any map with plenty bots at 800x600 with options on medium-ish.

That said though, I assume you'll be playing online? Because its crap offline and as well as that, it will strain your computer a hell of alot more if your playing AI players...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

a pci 6200?
    sure that aint PCI-E?

Afaik the highest end PCI gaming card you can get is a Geforce 5700le

have one myself. it rocks

Yeah id be playing online.It'd be fairly sad playing BF offline alone!!lol. Doodee i heard somewhere that there is a 5600 which is actually better then the 5700le.I havent seen one though so i dont know if thats true but yeah apart from that the 5700le is the best. What kind of resolutions and quality can it handle?? also where did you get it?? i havent seen them on any sites shipping to Ireland.

• Advertisement

Doodee wrote:
    a pci 6200?
    sure that aint PCI-E?

Afaik the highest end PCI gaming card you can get is a Geforce 5700le

have one myself. it rocks

Yeah, there is definately a PCI 6200. And now in fairness you must be playing ancient games cos a pci 5700 certainly does not "rock" :D

Obviously it would run BF1942 at high (if your cpu and ram is alright) but for new games it sucks major ass - although I doubt this would be of major concern to you chris given the 800mhz cpu limitations anyway.

To be honest, with your 800mhz cpu, a 64mb card would be more then enough to handle any games that run well on 800mhz - there was someone on the wanted computer hardware forum offering a free 64mb pci card. That failed, you should be able to find some sort of pci geforce card for about 5 quid on ebay...

Yeah ive been on ebay.I nearly netted myself a radeon 700 64mb but someone payed €33 for it!!

Don't get a Radeon 7000 whatever you do. I had one and it was appalling bad. Couldn't even run Sof2 properly (Min requirements 16mb acc) :rolleyes:

I'd go for a Geforce 2 pci maybe, or pretty much any of the geforce range, all solid cards in their time.

Whoever paid 33 euro for a Radeon 64mb pci....lol :D:D

Some cheap options...

Cheap and would run BF1942 no probs

Yeah but thats on ebay .com .if you look at ebay.ie you will see the selection is no where near as good.

I'd advise asking again on the computer forum for a card. As I said, there was even someone offering a free one....no point buying one new at this stage if you can't get one online! :)

Am i correct in thinking that those cards you put links up to would turn up on ebay.ie if the person would be willing to ship worldwide??

This person who was giving away the free card ,do ou know their name ?? was it in the actual computer forum or was it in the for sale computer forum??

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054942472

There you go.

Not sure about the ebay thing....dont use it myself, sorry

Yeah i actually saw that but from that post it looks as though someone already took the card.

So no one here has an old 64MB pci gpu??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Yeah, I have a 64MB Sapphire Radeon 7000
    thirty quid? It's going for more on eBay
    (PM me to remind me when you reply plz)

Do you guys think this card is good enough for what i want t to do??

The main purpose of this card looks to be DVD playback. Im stilll interested if anyone has any better cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

I know you'll think I'm being biased, but this is a great card. Bought it so it could play GTA3, and handled it no bother. DVD playback is also great.
    Go read some online reviews if you don't believe me.

yeah could you post some links to the reviews please. Also what is the Most intensive game you have played with it??? Have you played Morrowind with it?? or Battlefield 1942???

I played Battlefield 1942 on my 7000 a good while back and it ran fine. However I found it hideous for OpenGL games. Quake III, Soldier of Fortune 2, Medal of Honor, it was really poor at these games even though they ran perfectly on 16 and 32mb Nvidia cards. It ran the games, just at a very poor level for a 64mb card. That said it may have been my drivers but thats just my experience anyway.

But it was grand with non opengl card games. Neither morrowind or battlefield are opengl anyway so that aspect should be grand.

It was fine for media playback as well.

Thank you ,I really appreciate your oppinions. What was the base spec of the pc you were using that with?? Can you remember what kind of frame rates you were getting in 1942 and at what settings??

I was using a P3 800mhz and 320mb of ram until recently as spare lan user. Was swapping between a Geforce 4 and a Radeon 7000 - both AGP, and both seemed to give fairly similar performance on BF1942 and a few other Direct3D games like Global Operations, except as I mentioned, the Geforce was light years ahead of the Radeon for OpenGL based games like Quake III, Medal of Honor, Wolfenstein etc...better framerates, higher details, etc.

But again, this might have been due to drivers.

I can't exactly remember what framerate I was getting in BF1942 but it was completely playable and at respectable visual settings...800x600 maybe, options on medium, still looked grand..was playing on a lan, a P4 with 1gig of ram was acting as server.

ps - I just after looking at first page, there is post by me almost identical to this one :D

Except you didnt mention that you had the radeon 7000 in that system. This is all good to hear anyway. Can the card be overclocked much??

No idea about the overclocking to be honest. I'm not a big fan of overclocking...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Just to let you know, an AGP Radeon 7000 and a PCI Radeon 7000 will run completly different. You ever used a PCI graphics card? They are useless. To be honest Its probably not even worth it. I have used PCI graphics cards in an Athlon XP system and in older K6 systems, Even in the Athlon XP system it was useless. Slows down you're OS too. Minimising windows isnt as smooth as if you were using an AGP card and scrooling, It does it in segments. Thats how slow PCI really is. I mean its what a 15 Year old slot ? I also had a PCI radeon 7000 64MB ddr in the athlon 64 system. It didnt even run UT 99 properly ( FPS wise - and quality of the image was terrible and stuttering). I put a AGP Sis 305 and bingo, It ran smoothly and perfectly. Just using that for an example at how useless PCI cards are. People over estimate them, But really it will be useless. Ive had alot of experience with graphics cards and I can promise you, you'll be disapointed in what you were expecting.

Sorry to sink you're boat. Think of it as advice :rolleyes:

Hj

Advertisement