Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do any of you have A PCI graphics card

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Hey snappy id be interested if you could point me to some reviews plz.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Can't really beat CNet for reviews.

I used this on a 600MHz 256MB system to successfully play Grand Theft Auto III at it's default settings perfectly. I've never played 1942 or Morrowind tbh, so I couldn't tell you how it handles. I specifically bought it for DirectX 9.0c support, as my previous card was missing drivers to enable that feature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Thats the agp model you've linked to....same one as I had, with my reference above, but hungryjoey was pointing out the shortfalls of the pci version...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭dazberry

HungryJoey wrote:
    You ever used a PCI graphics card? They are useless.

Not that I'm disagreeing, but I was blown away when I originally replaced my 256KB ISA VGA card with a 1MB PCI card. Of course that was a little while ago now ;)

D.

I know, but I couldn't find the PCI one reviewed anywhere.

• Advertisement

Yeah Thats the problem I was having,I couldnt find any reviews anywhere. I wouldnt expect GTA3 to be that demanding on the gpu at all, Seeing as it is an old PS2 game. I will offer you €15 for the card.

Yeah Thats the problem I was having,I couldnt find any reviews anywhere. I wouldnt expect GTA3 to be that demanding on the gpu at all, Seeing as it is an old PS2 game. I will offer you €15 for the card.

As far as I know the minimum requirements for GTA 3 were actually very low, somewhere about the 500mhz, 96mb ram and 12mb vram mark

YEah thats what i figured.

No way. The card is going for more that 30 quid on eBay. 25 is my final offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

• Advertisement

It a voodoo card I assume. They were the biz back in the day....not too great for anyway new games like the OP wants to play though, unless its one of the last voodoo cards to be released. They were brilliant for the likes of Quake 2, Unreal Tournament, etc...

snappieT wrote:
    No way. The card is going for more that 30 quid on eBay. 25 is my final offer.

Well they are selling a far supperior, radeon 9250 se online brand new for less then £25 . So considering that I think my offer is quite acceptible.

Regards
    chris

Chris,

If the card linked in the thread above is a decent 3dfx voodoo, it should be able to play CS 1.6 very well. Certainly a million times better then using software renderer. Voodoo cards were really great for Half Life original at the time.

I'm sure the OP would accept a few measly notes for it.

I don't know if it'd perform on BF1942, it would depend on what model it was, but sure for a few euro it'd be light years ahead of what you're using now.

Cheers thanks man,but i really want to be able to play battlefield and morrowind,thats the main reason i want to get a graphics card.I dont really mind playing 1.6 with the settings i have now.
    Ill try and find out about the card that the guy is selling though and if he gives me any info ill come back here and see what you think.

Againn all of your info and inputt are greatly appreciated.

HEy guys this is the card thats on adverts,and what the guy selling had to say about it.

it's a maxi gamer 3d voodoo2 (its the card that you can link two together via an IDE cable)

Hmmm...it'd be great for older games like Half Life or UT but I don't know if it would even run BF1942. It was two Voodoo 2s linked together that some guy got Doom III running on.

Check your other thread "p4 vs p3 for gaming" for more info on that...:D

LOl yeah that was quite interesting. Id be right in saying though that the radoen 7000 would be better then the voodoo 2? even if i could get 2 of the voodoo 2s?

Yeah, it would be...

Hey it looks liek i might be getting a pc off of a friend that has a geforce 4 in it ,I dont know what modle the geforce 4 is but would any geforce 4 be better then the radeon 7000? I'll let you know what modle card it is when i get the PC (which will probably be in a few weeks ).

Any model of the Geforce 4 would be way better then a Radeon 7000, PCI or AGP. If its an old DELL computer its probably a Geforce 4MX.

Although you might get lucky and it'll turn out to be A geforce 4 ti model - very nice card.

• Advertisement

Cool. Its not a dell, but it is running an athlon xp and is quite old so I would say it is probably an MX and not a TI. I was reading a review and it said that the MX's were basically geforce 2 and a halfs. is that really a fair coment?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Cool. Its not a dell, but it is running an athlon xp and is quite old so I would say it is probably an MX and not a TI. I was reading a review and it said that the MX's were basically geforce 2 and a halfs. is that really a fair coment?

Looking at your current specs do you care?

Personally I would rate them somewhat higher then that.

I used my Geforce 4mx with a 2ghz p4 (my old computer) to run Battlefield 1942, Far Cry, Call of Duty, Team Factor, Unreal Tournament 2004 and a few others, it did a decent job at 1024x768 with options on medium-high for Far Cry and UT2K4 and full whack for the other games.

The only problem with the MX is that most newish games that actually support the Geforce Cards (Like Deus Ex Invisible War, Godfather, and a few others) do not support the MX range.

That said though, you should be able to run the games you're already mentioned with flying colours, provided the ram is decent. Athlon XP should take care of bf1942 and Morrowind no probs as you know, so with decent ram the card will perform.

Advertisement