Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else been stuck longer than this?

Options
  • 10-06-2006 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭

Partial rant, partial someone tell me it could be worse type thread.

Handed over first cheque for new apartment on 13th of Feb.
    Today 10th of June no keys yet.

Am rapidly approaching 18 weeks since the above. There have been some genuine delays, lost a week to insurance stuff, but this is becoming a joke. Atm, am stuck in rented accom, herself is 34 weeks pregnant and stuck living with her parents and we're packing the bags for the hospital atm. I'd like to be moved in and comfortable before having to bring the baby home...

Have people been stuck waiting for longer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I handed over initial deposit cheque in Sep, contracts signed in Feb due to PP issues that builder has...told Thursday I'd be in in 4 weeks. Wait to see.

Guy working with me handed over initial deposit in Ashbourne about 14months ago...told he'll be in by October.

You're doing alright so far. Normally its about 6 months from start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Am not building it. It was ready to move in on in Feburary. Thus the frustration. It shouldn't take this long imho.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Lex Luthor wrote:
    I handed over initial deposit cheque in Sep, contracts signed in Feb due to PP issues that builder has...told Thursday I'd be in in 4 weeks. Wait to see.

Guy working with me handed over initial deposit in Ashbourne about 14months ago...told he'll be in by October.

You're doing alright so far. Normally its about 6 months from start to finish.

Bought mine in March but will be lucky to be in by the new year. But that suits me.

A bloke in work took over 6 months from when he sold his house and moved into a new one. The seller of the house which he bought slowed them down because there deal fell through.

Stuff like that happens.

Only back up you have is your contract. She what it says in the contract to see if you have any back up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'm aware of a person who was supposed to move in on the 17th of November. They sold their house and were ready to go on that date. The builder has since come up with all kinds of excuses as to why the building is not ready (at present it is still without electricity/phone etc. The creeping deadline has crept forward by 2 weeks at a time. Last week they were supposed to move in on Thursday- on the previous day the builder accidently burst a water main and flooded the house, ruining much of their possessions that they were storing in the incomplete rooms. It is now being dried with dehumidifiers- but all the carpets and solid wood flooring are ruined- before they even get to move in.

In addition the couple who bought the house are retired. The lady of the house is in very poor health and may not last much longer. She is now severly disabled. They have been homeless since last March and are spending a few days here a few days there with relatives around the country- trying to keep close to hospitals/doctors for the person in illhealth. Her health is deteriorating all the time, and everyone is stressed as hell.

That builders can get away with abuse of people paying vast sums of money for housing is unfair- particularly when they are being relied on and worse still believed by the purchasers as to finish dates etc.

The builder in question here has said that the couple should be happy- as the house has increased in value by 50k since they agreed to buy it. The fact that they do not know where they will find a roof over their heads from one night to the next and have spent large sums of money in hotels and B&Bs along with abusing the good will of relatives, is conveniently ignored.

Initial excuses of delays for Polish people to take extended Christmas holidays turned into Easter Holidays and now Summer holidays.

The fact that money is not the a deciding factor- that the couple would like to live under their own roof, appears to have eluded them.

The gentleman in question is the type of person who hates to complain about anything........ He is also very trusting- which is partly why he is in this situation.

ETA now 1.07.06- about 8 months late.

Damn that's harsh. One of the points made to me over all this was that I've been far too polite so far and that I should just drop it and become more aggressive (not literally, but you know what I mean).

That sounds crazy though smccarrick. Do they have any option but to just wait?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Unfortunately being polite is akin to pretending it does not matter.
    The person I referred to above has been turning up on site and staying there with his wife in the car inspecting the work of the various tradespeople as they do their various duties. It appears to be the only way of ensuring they are actually working on his house, and not on other houses in the complex. As for the builder- well he is happy as ever. The final payment for the house is not due until it is habitable- and as it is not habitable (as yet) he is pottering away in no particular hurry. They do not appear to have recourse to anything and are more or less at his mercy, which is a total bitch. As they sold their house last year and committed to buying this house at a particular price, they are tied into it, as they cannot afford the increases that occurred in prices since they signed contracts. Its a bitch and there is nothing that they can do about. The person in question by rights should complain loudly and make their real feelings known- but they are too quiet and polite to say anything. I know they are terribly depressed about the situation- which makes it even worse, yet they don't feel that they can say anything at all. He is onsite with his ill wife looking on from the car most days.......

Builders should come with a serious health warning....... along with a disclaimer about believing a sodding word they say........

Yeah that's pretty ****ing harsh alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

nesf wrote:
    Am rapidly approaching 18 weeks since the above. There have been some genuine delays, lost a week to insurance stuff, but this is becoming a joke. Atm, am stuck in rented accom, herself is 34 weeks pregnant and stuck living with her parents and we're packing the bags for the hospital atm. I'd like to be moved in and comfortable before having to bring the baby home...
    An angry, crying, massively preganant woman sitting in his reception might work wonders.*

* Tell her to wind them up, not herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

nesf wrote:
    Damn that's harsh. One of the points made to me over all this was that I've been far too polite so far and that I should just drop it and become more aggressive (not literally, but you know what I mean).

That sounds crazy though smccarrick. Do they have any option but to just wait?
    FFS lad. I'd just loose the plot with the builder, and ask why the f**k isn't the f**king house built yet, as it's paid for, and for the builder to take his finger out of his f**king a*sehole and do the f**king job, tbh.

Oh, and if the builders are building other houses, goto the open day, bring the wife, some onions:D and after sniffing the onions for a bit, get your wife to ask the builder when will the builder be finished your f**king house, as the baby is due soon, and you don't want to deliver your kid in a hostel:cool: See how many people walk away.

And if he makes any excuse (no matter how logical it sounds, lose the plot, and go f**king mental.

I would. Wouldn't stand for this sh|t, tbh.

Oh, and have fun. At the builders expense:)

See the apartment is built, ready and all that. The delay came about because of the lack of a Floor Clearance Certificate (they had the wrong one confirmed, the old from the old act, as being ready on the contract etc etc), we did get this sorted by hassling the solicitor, builders, estate agents etc but it took nearly 2 months. The issue is the cert came in late 2 weeks ago but we're still waiting for the builder's solicitors to confirm it with out solicitor so he can pass over the final cash and get our keys. Whenever we hassle said solicitor he's out of the office and not returning calls.

We were onto the estate agents again on Friday and they tried to get onto the solicitor. Monday morning the ritual starts again. I'm not quite sure what else we can do unless we start directly hassling the solicitor rather than using our solicitor to do this. I'm not even sure if we should do this. Doesn't all communication have to go through our solicitor to him or something? It's probably sitting in the inbox on some desk in that office tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Sorry to hear that NESF, I reckon the appearance of a hormonal pregant woman would put the shits up him tbh......as it would with anyone.

Sorry to hijack, but I've just put my place on the market, any advice from anyone on the transitional period as the place we're buying is 2nd hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Eh, being the pregnant woman involved here, the big emotional scene thing ain't going to happen.

But shaky fist at the legal profession in Ireland. :mad: Afaik, there's no way of complaining about this sort of thing and indeed, even if there was, it wouldn't be that effective because the incompetence is diffused amongst various groups.

:/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

smccarrick wrote:
    As they sold their house last year and committed to buying this house at a particular price, they are tied into it, as they cannot afford the increases that occurred in prices since they signed contracts. =

they can always sell the contract if there is no clause against it and pocket 50 grand. i suppose living in a hotel at 80 euro a night isnt too bad if they have made that much, but its a bitch alright. but thats property...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭positron

I see building delaying the release all the time, and I believe it is a serious problem, and the builders are getting away with it only because the average buyer is happy about the appreciation and so holds on to the contract.

Just wondering how difficult is it to bring a regulation to control this? For instance, a simple clause in the contract to the effect that if the builder doesn't have the place ready by the said date, the builder should pay out (or gets deducted from the final payment) a market-rate rent for a similar property in and around that area? Just a thought!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭arctic lemur

My landlord(i was living with him and his wife as theyre mates) sold their house in January last year having bought a house in meath. The house in Dub was just sold and the sale of the house in meath that they were in the process of buying fell through so they were 1 yr living with her parents til they got another house (not their dream house)

Advertisement