Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken Fillets/Breasts Ideas

• 10-06-2006 4:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭

I'm a bit stumped, have a few chicken fillets in the fridge and wondering how to use them later.

Have most of the common herbs and spices, wine and apple vinager, ketchup (have tins of tomatoes and concentrate) and oxo cubes ...would like that it doent become a normal slap the fillets in the oven..cook and then melt cheese over em and eat with a tin of baked beans night.
    Have a couple of packets of frozen spinage and peas in the freezer compartment too :)

Any one got some simple chicken breast/fillet recipies ?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Erm, bit of a '10-second recipe' moment...

Pre-heat oven to 190 degrees centigrade.

Defrost a good handful of the spinach. Wilt it down quickly with some butter, garlic, nutmeg, salt and black pepper in a pan. Add some toasted cumin seeds if you have some. Once it's wilted, allow it to cool and squeeze every last bit of moisture out of it with your hands or a colander and the back of a spoon. Then rough chop it.

Slice into the chicken fillets at the side, creating a sort of interior 'pocket'. Spoon spinach mixture into chicken fillets.

Bake the stuffed fillets in a casserole dish/roasting pan, surrounded with a spash of wine if you have some, and some more cloves of garlic. (Should take 35-40 mins). Remove baked fillets from roasting pan.

See if you can make a sauce out of the pan juices and some flour - put the pan on a hot cooker ring use a metal whisk to stir up juices and loosen any bits. Add some flour to thicken. Add more wine or a little hot water in stages to create a sauce.

Slice the fillets in rounds and arrange (like fallen dominos) on one side of the plate. Serve drizzled with sauce with some peas and whatever else is in your store cupboard - rice, baked potato, green salad...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

That sounds wonderful, going to give that a try (ate pizza last night... so still have these in the fridge)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

I've just left the kitchen having made a olive oil, lime & garlic marinade for 6 chicken breasts (on special in Tesco - 5 at the meat counter for €5.10.. I think... and then another for €1.09 which was cheaper than buying 6 together!

Juice of 2 limes
    1 clove crushed garlic
    Same volume oil as lime juice
    Freshly ground pepper

Mix, pour over chicken & leave to sit... or else mix, put chicken in Ziplok freezer bags, pour over marinade, seal and freeze until needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

I cut the chicken breasts into pieces and gently steam them for about 15 mins. Then I add a sauce (usually curry) and simmer slowly for another 15 mins. This produces wonderfully soft and tender chicken, that the sauce coats perfectly, and it's healthier too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

mash some garlic chilli tomatoe purée up and coat the breasts adn fry gently. i like to butterfly the chicken first.

or oven bake em stuffed w/ cheese and garlic butter :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭darkflower

I have tried chicken rice porridge..cut half chicken breast thinly marinate with salt and sesame oil..boil a cup of rice(sticky rice better) until soft add in 2 slices of fresh ginger add chicken and season to taste..:D got it from a chinese friend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

My mam in law made rosemary chicken not so long ago and it had crushed up cornflakes as a coating, wasnt too bad either :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭derek27

make a chicken fillet sandwich... but instead of 2 slices of bread use 2 panfried breasts of chicken. garnish with parsley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

i like to fry them and cover them in a warm cheese sauce . basic but nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

real easy one :

baking dish
    olive oil
    chicken breasts in dish
    cover with fenel seeds
    bake for 20/25mins gas mark 7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Chicken and spinach go wicked-well together in a yoghurt-based curry.

Fry off (chopped up) chicken & onions with some curry powder, add a chicken-stock cube inabout 250ml of water. Add a tub of natural/greek yoghurt (whichever suits you better / whichever you have) while the above is not boiling (to avoid splitting the yoghurt). Simmer till the sauce is almost reduced enough, throw in the spinach and allow it to cook through. Serve.

Works best with non-processed spinach (i.e. still in leaves). If its been processed (i.e. finely chopped) before frozen, the spinach will break up into your sauce giving it a "herby" look which looks a bit urgh but still tastes fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

If you have a George Foreman grill, try this. So simple. Takes 8 mins

Wrap the chicken breast in a rasher, sprinkle the top with mixed herbs. Cook on the lowest heat as slowly as possible until done. Enjoy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

If you like chicken & spinach - try using them in a pizza.... a white sauce base rather than the usual tomato... and parmesan/mozzarella cheese on top with plenty of black pepper. Heaven on a crispy base!!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i'm a big fan of stuffed chicken breasts myself.

got the idea from saturday kitchen one week.

butterfly the chicken breast, I tend to do it by removing the mini-fillet from the underside in one piece for use later and then placing the breast flat on a chopping board and cutting vertically down from top to bottom about 2/3 of the way through the breastand peel back the flaps on each side with your thumb slicing in to the breast horizontally at the same depth until you have it peeled back almost to the outside edge (but not quite).

then flatten the mini-fillet out a bit with the flat side of a big knife so it covers more area.

fill the chicken with something nice, like your favourite cheese(s), spinach, mshrooms etc. whatever takes your fancy and then place the mini-fillet over the top and fold in the flaps so they lay over the top of the mini-fillet.

now wrap it up nice and tightly with one or two slices of parma or other thin cured ham.

brown off in a pan and then transfer to a pre-heated (190 degrees) oven and bake for 25-35 minutes depending on how much you browned them off in the pan.

it's best with some cheeses that will melt well, so buffalo mozzarella is good, but you'll also want some good flavour so pick some nice flavourful cheeses.

serve with whatever takes your fancy.

P.S. if the butterfly thing sounds too much like hard work, just slice the chicken open like a book and fill it that way, I'm just a fussy b'stard. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Pour some olive oil into a bowl, to that add some red wine vinegar, add some mustard and then garlic, soy sauce is optional, mix it all up and pop in you chicken fillets making sure you spike them!

Leave them in the fridge over night and cook on the barbeque the next day! orgasmic so it is!

TheGooner wrote:
    Pour some olive oil into a bowl, to that add some red wine vinegar, add some mustard and then garlic, soy sauce is optional, mix it all up and pop in you chicken fillets making sure you spike them!

Leave them in the fridge over night and cook on the barbeque the next day! orgasmic so it is!

That sounds interesting, have more fillets (I eat a lot of chicken) so going to give that a go.
    So many wonderful ideas, who would have thought that simple chicken breasts or fillets could be used so creatively (well, I wouldn't have!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭AdrianR

Here's a few (please excuse the spelling errors):

Chicken breast(s)
    Red wine
    Various Herbs

Flatten the chicken breast (as described above by vibe 666).
    Take a pan and fill with enough red wine to cover the flattened chicken breast.
    Add some herbs to the pan such as Herbs de provence, or a mixture of some of the following: Basel, parsley, tarragon (This is the biz with chicken), oregano, sage, rosemary, mint (little bit) etc.

Heat the pan until the wine is simmering add the chicken breast and simmer until cooked, turn a few times as it will tend to float.

Don't worry about over doing the chicken it will remain moist due to the cooking method, and don't worry about the colour after it's cooked;) .
    You can make gravy from the wine that's left in the pan, one quick method is to simply add bisto gravy granuals.

Edit: Should have mentioned this works well with fillet of pork as well.

Chicken breast(s)
    Motserella cheese (Grated)
    Tarragon
    Garlic puree
    Lime juice (or lemon juice)
    slice of parma ham (Or alternatively a slice of smoked rasher)

Flatten the chicken breast(s) and coat with garlic puree (like you would butter toast with a knife), sprinkle with tarragon and sprinkle with lime juice (In that order).
    Fill with grated motserella and fold over the sides to enclose,
    wrap with the parma or rasher slice
    bake in a preheated oven at 180deg for about 20 to 25 min (More breasts will take longer)

Grimes wrote:
    i like to fry them and cover them in a warm cheese sauce . basic but nice

What's your recipie for the cheese sauce ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Longfield wrote:
    What's your recipie for the cheese sauce ?

50g butter
    50g flour
    300ml milk
    200g grated cheese.

make a roux with the flour and butter then add the milk while whisking then add the cheese.....simple

You can vary amounts but butter to flour has to be a 1:1 ratio and it'll work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

this is one of my fav chicken recipes because it only takes 15-20mins:

chicken fillet/breasts
    2 rashers for each piece of chick
    Garlic butter - i'm lazy so I just buy those little Kerrygold sticks

1)Pound chick flat(tip use a sandwich bag or cling film so theres no mess)
    2)Lay the rashers on top to cover the chick - wide end of one on the bottom and wide end of the other at the top (69)
    3)flip it over so the rasher is on the bottom
    4)Cut a lenghtwise slice of the butter and lay this on the chick
    5)Roll the whole thing up and cook on the grill - I have a tefal one with 3 settings - i use the medium one. You end up with lovely brown bacon and moist chick. You can also slice up some onions and place the chicken on top of them when cooking - they get a lovely flavor from the chicken/bacon/butter :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 hillynicky

hi everyone! i just want to say thanks for all the great tips!

Advertisement