Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best League in the world

• 10-06-2006 4:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this has been done before but im intrigued by what league people think is the best in world!

I dont mean by way of excitment,i mean by the standard of football!

It's just if you,like me watch sky sports often,you'll hear Andy Gray etc telling you every 5 minutes that the Premiership is the best in the world but i dont think it comes close to the La Liga and i think the Bundesliga is also very good!

So what league do you think?

Judging by standard of football,what do you think is the best league in the world 78 votes

La Liga(Spanish)
    0% 0 votes
    The Premiership(English)
    57% 45 votes
    Bundesliga(German)
    29% 23 votes
    Serie A(Italian)
    1% 1 vote
    Ligue 1(French)
    10% 8 votes
    Other(Please specify)
    1% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

la liga

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i think the Premiership

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

La Liga by a clear mile for sheer playing ability and better players.

Prem moved up to 2nd.

Serie A down to 3rd.

Dont see enough live games of the others

kdjac

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Seria A. /La Liga. joint 1st.
    Premiership/Bundesliga joint 3rd.

Seaneh wrote:

If Serie A was won on the pitch maybe but think we all know its not now.

Arsenal would be perfect case in point of why the PL is not 1st...look how well they played in the league to get 4th. Whereas the other leagues had decent challenges for the title and for the CL spots.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Objectively speaking? La Liga.

Subjectively? Premiership.

I get more into PL games because I support a PL club, I can't watch a full La Liga game unless it features on of the top sides. Mallorca vs Levante wouldn't get my motor running...

KdjaC wrote:
    If Serie A was won on the pitch maybe but think we all know its not now.

Arsenal would be perfect case in point of why the PL is not 1st...look how well they played in the league to get 4th. Whereas the other leagues had decent challenges for the title and for the CL spots.

kdjac

No more Moggi, it's ok now.

Seaneh wrote:
    No more Moggi, it's ok now.

But not if it comes to pass Juve and Milan had a hand in gaining an advantage, granted they didnt play 12 players but still they had an advantage over the other clubs which is hardly making a compettive league.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

La Liga for footballing quality.

The Premiership for excitement and all that jazz.

KdjaC wrote:
    But not if it comes to pass Juve and Milan had a hand in gaining an advantage, granted they didnt play 12 players but still they had an advantage over the other clubs which is hardly making a compettive league.

kdjac

Milan are blameless, Berlu isn't stupid he wouldn't risk that, and the fact that he is screaming from Milanello offices about how the Italian Fa should award Milan the last 3 titles if Juve are found guilty makes me believe Milan are innocent, he'd hardly set himself up for a fall like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

during the 90's serie a was by far the best, then alot of the players headed over to spain. la liga's talent pool is alot more widespread so its a more competative league.

the premiership is just a freak league really, as in it cant be compared to the others, technique isnt the main feature and isnt as relevent, neither are tactics. its definitely more entertaining though.

the german league isnt really relevent these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Id say La Liga purley for the quality of players & more attractive football. The French League is starting bring alot of new quality aswell. Lyon have upset alot of big clubs in the Champions League in the past 3 years or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭raheny red

Bundesliga

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

The Premiership

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

The Maaaaaaaaajor League!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

the Eircom League, tbh! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

La Liga by a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Duras

La Liga is for sure the best... Serie A was the best league for years but since clubs can use more than 3 non-nationals La Liga got better. I think Premiership and Serie A fight for 2nd spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Well since Spanish clubs currently hold the two biggest prizes in European club football... it's pretty obvious which is the best league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

La Liga, in terms of quality and excitment, but I think the two go hand in hand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Superdub2

Seaneh wrote:

seria A was the best league in the mid nineties but now it is rubbish, just look at how bad the champiuons are in the cfhampions league!

La Liga way ahead of the rest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

La Liga, you can't beat a good La Liga match. Quality, entertainment and depth. It also has the greatest league match in world football twice a season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,349 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

La Liga is a joy to watch.
    It is by far the best league in Europe.
    I get more into PL games because I support a PL club, I can't watch a full La Liga game unless it features on of the top sides. Mallorca vs Levante wouldn't get my motor running...
    Well it would be far better than most of the garbage matches in the Premiership,
    Bolton V's Everton,WBA v's Birmingham,etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

La Liga, mighty stuff to watch

tbh I'd be happy to see the league cut to 18. It would mean less ****e teams, which might mean a bit more fun and quality football.

One ****e defensive teams infects the whole group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Can't see how anyone could say the Premiership. Some of the matches these days are just woeful to watch.

Well it would be far better than most of the garbage matches in the Premiership,
    Bolton V's Everton,WBA v's Birmingham,etc.

Like I said, I got more invested in the PL so I'll get more out of it.

TBH, who here checks every La Liga result? Other than the top 6 sides? I certainly check every PL result, and the impact it has on the table.

Thats just me leaving aside the entertainment factor for a moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

La Liga by a long way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Can't see how anyone could say the Premiership. Some of the matches these days are just woeful to watch.

every game in La Liga is hardly a classic either

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭johnos

The Irish National League. Because it's here.;)

Keep in mind we pretty much are restricted to viewing Barca or Real every match, if you watched United and Chelsea every match PL would look pretty good too.

The difference for me is very very simple:
    The ****e teams in La Liga still attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Superdub2 wrote:
    seria A was the best league in the mid nineties but now it is rubbish, just look at how bad the champiuons are in the cfhampions league!

La Liga way ahead of the rest
    I don't why they didn't do so well in Europe but for the top 4 teams (imo) they have a load of world class players in all positions.

Juve:
    Buffon
    Thuram
    Cannavaro
    Zebina
    Zambrotta
    Emerson
    Vieira
    Nedved
    Camoranesi
    Ibrahimovic (Mutu / Del Piero)
    Trezeguet

Milan:
    Dida
    Nesta
    Stam
    Cafu
    Maldini
    Gattuso
    Pirlo
    Seedorf
    Kaka
    Gilardino
    Shevchenko

Inter:
    Toldo
    Cordoba
    Samuel
    Burdisso
    Zanetti
    Cambiasso
    Veron
    Stankovic/Solari
    Figo
    Adriano
    Martins

Roma:
    Doni
    Kuffour
    Mexes
    Chivu
    Panucci
    Dacourt
    De Rossi
    Aquilani
    Totti
    Montella
    Nonda

After that and the majority of the teams would have players not too well known but I doubt there's many Italians that know of the likes of Michael Carrick, Steven Reid, etc.

Every league in the world is like that if you watch enough of it.

Seen some woeful games in all the leagues i watch.

kdjac

eirebhoy wrote:
    I don't why they didn't do so well in Europe

European refs aren't as easy to buy off perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Juventus went out in the quarters as it came just as they were doing their best to throw the league away looked almost a completly different team to the first half of the season.

Milan were beaten by one goal over Two legs in the semi Finals against the evenual winners.Made the Final the Previous year and won it in an all Italian final in 2003 I wouldnt concider that particularly bad.

Aresnal did well this Season Liverpool the last the other teams didnt do much I dont see how you think the Premiership or any other league bar the spanish has done far better than Seire A in recent years
    European refs aren't as easy to buy off perhaps?

Marseille Managed it

• Advertisement

J
    Milan were beaten by one goal over Two legs in the semi Finals against the evenual winners.Made the Final the Previous year and won it in an all Italian final in 2003 I wouldnt concider that particularly bad.

Marseille Managed it

So portuguese football should be up there Porto won it 2 years ago? I dont think the CL is a way to measure leagues reall,y as its a cup abd UEFA likes to handpick its winners.

Didnt Marseille pay the opposing players to go easy on them in a league game?

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    So portuguese football should be up there Porto won it 2 years ago? I dont think the CL is a way to measure leagues reall,y as its a cup abd UEFA likes to handpick its winners.

Didnt Marseille pay the opposing players to go easy on them in a league game?

kdjac

I never said it was a perfect way of judgeing leagues I was just reposding to someone who said the Italian league was crap because the teams from it dont preform in europe which isnt really true.

Also I thought there was some bribary of refs as well I could be wrong I was only a kid at the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

World Soccer mag had a league table last year that showed how the differenct countries matched up to each other in terms of record in the CL. 1st La Liga, 2nd Serie A, 3rd Bundesliga, 4th Prem. From what I can remember they awarded points for a win, a finalist and semi finalists etc...

For me in terms of technique, ability and tactics Serie A is the best. The notion that its purely defensive tripe is the out cries of the ignorant completely uneducated goons that haven’t watched a game in years! This year it also had of all European Leagues the highest amount of goals scored. La Liga isn’t far behind and in Barca have a golden child of football at the moment. The Prem I find hard to watch at times. The football is dire, tactically its poor with a poor pool of players and managers a like (save the top four) and to me it’s a glorified more hyped version of the SPL and only slightly better. Sky hype the prem and its fans love it. They tell you its brilliant the best in the world and constantly people fall for it and believe it. If all your looking for is fast paced high scoring why not watch basket ball instead?

iregk wrote:

For me in terms of technique, ability and tactics Serie A is the best. The notion that its purely defensive tripe is the out cries of the ignorant completely uneducated goons that haven’t watched a game in years!

Imo thats wrong, its condescending to say people who say that are basing it on an uneducated basis. FACT Italy has the best defenders in the world playing there but not the best Attackers they play in spain and are usually Hispanic :)

So it would be deemed defensive if the transfer record was held by a Goalkeeper then a defender and im not sure who has it but you can bet its not a striker (incoming record).

italy is based ona solid defense with a solid midfield and then flair in attack with an out an out striker. Most teams play like that 4-4-1-1 so its no uneducated its actual fact.

I like Serie A but saying people who think its defensive is wrong and condecending towards other fans :D

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

La Liga

• Advertisement

So it would be deemed defensive if the transfer record was held by a Goalkeeper then a defender and im not sure who has it but you can bet its not a striker (incoming record).

Wasnt Crespo for 32m the Italian Record
    slightly ahead of Buffon for 30m
    (open to correction)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Crespo, 32m
    Mendieta 28m
    Rui Costa 30m
    Batistuta 30m

all pittance really...
    Kdjac or whatever, you can hand pick transfers (just like ive done) to show what ever side of an argument you like. There have been a lot more expensive transfers involving attackers in Italy than there have been in the Premiership so by your logic does this make the prem a defensive showcase?

I also reject the fact that calling people who claim Italian footie is defensive tripe uneducated (in the world of football) is condescending. Its true! Take a friend of mine for example talking about Serie A recently and he just blurts out "ah its rubbish defensive 0-0 boring football" when I asked when was the last time he watched a game? "About 10years ago, because its crap!". Yeah thats a seriously intellectual answer there... Thats the type of people I'm on about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Top 3:
    La Liga
    premier league
    Serie A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Epl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Serie A for me.

Advertisement