Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slingbox (watch your TV ANYWHERE!!)

• 10-06-2006 4:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

Saw this on Sky news today... looks very interesting.. you plug it in to your TV or dvd or pretty much any kind of video device you can think of and you can watch it over broadband or your home wired/wireless network.

I guess it assigns an IP address which you connect to. Have not looked too much into it but the guy said it even has a build in FTA decoder!!!

I can imagine some obvious uses.. such as if you are on holidays and the local TV is crap... Log on (with your laptop of course) and you can watch your sky movies or whatever on the thing!!
    Not sure if you can change channels or not... but its pretty amazing stuff!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I wonder if they are hard to setup, could get my folks to get one so I could watch RTE in the US :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

US gets everything first.. still Japan is usually 5 years or so ahead of everyone... :D

Anyway im sure the video quality is not the best.. BUT its a cool gadget!! You will never miss the Eurovision again if you go to the states :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Saruman wrote:
    US gets everything first.. still Japan is usually 5 years or so ahead of everyone... :D

Anyway im sure the video quality is not the best.. BUT its a cool gadget!! You will never miss the Eurovision again if you go to the states :D:D

Alot of stuff is streamed these days anyway, I got to see on BBC and eurovision.tv had it too, great larfs all round :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 jhop

Ruu wrote:
    Alot of stuff is streamed these days anyway, I got to see on BBC and eurovision.tv had it too, great larfs all round :)

Are you talking about streaming TV? I have been waiting for this for ages, seems to make sence, rather than puting up ariels and transmitters, just use existing broadband.

is anyone actually doing it yet?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I think a few Irish broadband ISP's (Magnet I think is one) currently do TV over broadband, called IPTV.

BT Ireland are also apparently looking into it.

watty would be able be more informative on IPTV though, if he's about!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Taken from Home Entertainment forum, it seems Sony are making a slingbox clone too...

http://play.com/Electronics/Electronics/GENCD/3-/1060359/Sony_Location_Free_TV_Base_Station_And_Software/Product.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

Saruman wrote:
    Saw this on Sky news today... looks very interesting.. you plug it in to your TV or dvd or pretty much any kind of video device you can think of and you can watch it over broadband or your home wired/wireless network.

I guess it assigns an IP address which you connect to. Have not looked too much into it but the guy said it even has a build in FTA decoder!!!

I can imagine some obvious uses.. such as if you are on holidays and the local TV is crap... Log on (with your laptop of course) and you can watch your sky movies or whatever on the thing!!
    Not sure if you can change channels or not... but its pretty amazing stuff!!

Works very well, I have Sky+ in living room and Sky in my study, connected Slingbox to standard Sky box as if I am in the Study I watch it there, if not I am able to watch Sky from Office PC and iMate Jasjar with 3G on road :-)

Also have a friend in the US, he has it connected his TIVO so often watch US TV when on PC (am at moment)

You have access to full Sky Remote on screen so can change channels, check EPG etc. If you connect it to your Sky+ box you can schedule recordings etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭SingingCherry

My husband and I have been talking about this since I'm from the US and I live here but I miss US television. The only problem, of course, is the time difference. It doesn't record shows for you, like TiVO would, so the only shows I would be able to watch here would be the ones on at 6pm, the latest. Sadly, my parents don't have TIVO and aren't particularly interested in purchasing it (although I would LOVE to get TIVO here!)

Has anyone found a way around this problem? This might be a purchase this Christmas when home if there is a way to record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

My husband and I have been talking about this since I'm from the US and I live here but I miss US television. The only problem, of course, is the time difference. It doesn't record shows for you, like TiVO would, so the only shows I would be able to watch here would be the ones on at 6pm, the latest. Sadly, my parents don't have TIVO and aren't particularly interested in purchasing it (although I would LOVE to get TIVO here!)

Has anyone found a way around this problem? This might be a purchase this Christmas when home if there is a way to record.

I won't comment about missing US TV ? :-)

Anyway check out http://applian.com/at-large-recorder, at least if you can record it means you can fast forward through their very frequent and long adverts :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

This months Stuff magazine has an article on it and Sonys LocationFree TV. Basically the same thing. Wasnt too sure if it could control Sky+ but now I know it does I have to get one.

Very handy if stuck in work with a match on. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

If you have a media centre pc, http://www.orb.com/ is a free service, just a download required. Having trouble getting it working with firewalll trouble but will hopefully get it sorted. As per slingbox you can watch live tv anywhere, watch recorded tv, videos phots and music.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 hollymount

I heard of slingbox just recently and read the correspondence of last June and could I ask the question I am a suscriber to Sky Digital with Sky Sports and my son now wishes to download all of the Sky Sports football on Sky and send/relay to a friend of his in New York.

Will Sky allow this or will they be aware of what is happening ?
    Please advise many thanks.

Hollymount :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

skearon wrote:
    I won't comment about missing US TV ? :-)
    I thought I has missed something here too.

I lived in California for some time and have to say that the quality of the TV was terrible. They have about 5 or 6 ad breaks in a half hour show!

The news is not just dumbed down but watered down beyond belief. Rather than showing what is really go on in the world they focus on the latest celebrity gossip or a brave fireman rescuing a cat from up a tree!

Some of the sit-coms were so bad I felt like shooting the TV 'Elvis style'. Anyway don't they show the usual run-of-the mill US shows on TV anyway?

hollymount wrote:
    I heard of slingbox just recently and read the correspondence of last June and could I ask the question I am a suscriber to Sky Digital with Sky Sports and my son now wishes to download all of the Sky Sports football on Sky and send/relay to a friend of his in New York.

Will Sky allow this or will they be aware of what is happening ?
    Please advise many thanks.

Hollymount :confused:

The pal version of the sling box is available here now in Ireland,in currys I think.
    Your son could buy one and set it up so his friend can watch Sky sports live in New York or anywhere with broadband.
    Both houses would need broadband and the faster the package the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

The Sony LocationFree thingy does pretty much the same thing - and you can stream it with your PSP. Nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I have a slingbox for a while now.

Pros: You can watch TV anywhere as long as you have a net connection and the software. You can also watch on a PDA.

Cons: Only one person can watch TV at a time. The quality is ok'ish, the UI takes up too much space. Setting up channel buttons are annoying.

Also if you set it up to access via the net your leaving a kind of hole in your firewall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'm a bit suprised that this was featured on Sky News tbh.

Given how cranky they get over the use of UK FTV cards over here or people getting access to Sky packages in Europe, or even insisting that you have your Multiroom boxes on the same phone line so they can verify where it is, how can they then promote this???

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Also check out TVUPlayer if you want to watch live US channels in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Ponster wrote:
    Also check out TVUPlayer if you want to watch live US channels in Ireland.

yes, but in **** quality i found when using it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Streamtvnow.tv does all of this much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    I'm a bit suprised that this was featured on Sky News tbh.

Given how cranky they get over the use of UK FTV cards over here or people getting access to Sky packages in Europe, or even insisting that you have your Multiroom boxes on the same phone line so they can verify where it is, how can they then promote this???

because something features on the news doesnt mean they are promoting it

the amount of bars on the continant that show Sky Sports and you say they are cracking down on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Back from the dead......Is it possible to watch your uploaded tv on another tv rather than a laptop. eg. Have two box's, one that uploads and another that downloads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Skyuser wrote: »
    Back from the dead......Is it possible to watch your uploaded tv on another tv rather than a laptop. eg. Have two box's, one that uploads and another that downloads.

Yes, there is another product called the Slingcatcher which does this.

http://www.slingmedia.com/go/slingcatcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Please dont resurrect 3 year old threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement