Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Does anyone have any idea.....

Options
  • 10-06-2006 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭

as to whether any names have been bruited as stepping in to fill Abu Musab al-Zarqawi's shoes?

I need them for an argument elsewhere.:D I hope I haven't posted this in the wrong place but I thought the people who frequent this forum would have an idea.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭JakeLuxor

According to the US its gonna be any egyptian who like Zarqawi spent time in Afghanistan whos 'street name' means father of egypt, but I cant remember the arab spelling for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Heh, I have a few possibles but Id get banned.

I think the bookies favourite is Abu al-Masri.
    Caldwell identified Abu Ayub al-Masri, an Egyptian who trained with al-Zarqawi in Afghanistan and who established the first al-Qaida cell in Baghdad in 2002, as the man thought most likely to succeed al-Zarqawi. The U.S. military put a $50,000 price tag on his head in February 2005, but his name has not surfaced yet on any of the Islamist Web sites.

Al-Masri, which means "the Egyptian" and signifies a nom de guerre, appears to be an al-Qaida insider who is close to Osama bin Laden's No. 2, Ayman al-Zawahiri, also an Egyptian.

``It is very clear that he had very close contacts with Zawahiri," Caldwell said.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Thanks for the information guys. It should shut him (a true blue Brit) up for a while but if you hear any other names being talked about I'd be grateful if you posted them here. I shouldn't get into political arguments where specifics are looked for. I know what I believe to be true but I'm not great on the debating and backing up end of it.:( :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭JakeLuxor

Sand wrote:
    Heh, I have a few possibles but Id get banned.

I think the bookies favourite is Abu al-Masri.

Interestingly enough theres another name that gets used alot for messages posted by the umnrella group for the insurgents, might just be a PR thing though to give an Iraqi face to the Jihadis.....its Al baghdadi
    But as I say he may well just be the Iraqi versuin of P O'Neill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭gbh

as to whether any names have been bruited as stepping in to fill Abu Musab al-Zarqawi's shoes?

I need them for an argument elsewhere.:D I hope I haven't posted this in the wrong place but I thought the people who frequent this forum would have an idea.

I'm not 100% and I'm not sure exactly where I heard it..think it was prime time, but they mentioned some guy called Al Masri I think who would be most likely to fill the gap. Expect someone of Jordanian or Syrian origion, who is already in Iraq.

• Advertisement
Advertisement