Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The rise of ugly girlie fashion

• 10-06-2006 5:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

I've decided to have a whinge about the rise of awful girlie fashion, but which may also answer such questions as why large women wear hipster jeans with flesh hanging over, or those stupid semi cardigans, or t-shirt tops that reveal flabby arms, etc.

I've noticed over the last few years, particular in the last four years that girlie fashion is completely dominating most if not all the main clothing shops. Most of these clothes are designed for the size 4-10 body type, women with no hips, flat stomach, tiny boobs, skinny arms etc. Considering that most women are over a size 14-16, these clothes are ridiculous on women, what is even more annoying is that these fashions are suitable for young women, 18-28 year olds, yet women in their 40s are wearing these girle chic clothes, and I hate this fashion. I find it harder and harder to buy clothes. I don't want to be girlie, I see myself as womanly, but also realistically, I'm a size 14, with a broad build, and although I don't have many wibbly bits, I wouldn't wear these clothes, I'd look stupid. In the last two years I've bought two pairs of jeans and thats it, nothing else, but now a lot of my clothes are falling apart and can't keep dragging them out. The last jeans I bought took me three hours to find because 90% of jeans sat on my hips, now I've a long body, short legs and I look like I'm cut in half, plus I look ugly in hipsters, as for those tiny tops forget it, and I refuse to starve myself into a tiny size its too depressing, yet neither do I want to be an oversize, so that I can fit into Evans clothes, it seems to be the rise of the skinny, girlie fashion or the oversize fashion and us medium size women over 30 are being ignored. If anyone can tell me where you can buy womenly clothes (that are not old fashioned) suited for my size can you let me know. Thanks

Comments

I get your point but most woman are NOT over 14-16. Most people I know who wear such things are size 10-12 or so can't really complain that that's mostly who the shops cater for. You are right in thinking that heavier people shouldn't wear that stuff, it does look rubbish, and those semi cardigans are rather pointless on anyone.

What kind of shops are you going in? I go shopping with my mam sometimes and her kind of shops never have the teeny hipster type jeans, always sensible high waisted ones, nice loose skirts that don't dig into your waist, long sleeved tops etc. They're stylish and feminine but not teenybopperish. I've seen lots of nice things in places like M&S and those kind of stores. The sizes go up quite high and the clothes look comfortable enough, I'm a size 10 and the things I have from there are cosy whereas a Topshop size 10 is digging in everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I am not sure if it is a girly thing but a lot of the clothes in the shops would not look as great on someone over a size 12. I would wear a lot of this stuff with pride and I am 32 but I when I was a size 12, 3 years ago my clothes choices were a lot more limited (I am only 5ft 2)...I am a curvey size 6-8 now and I am wearing stuff that I never dreamed that I could even though I still have a big chest (thankfully :)) I have found in the past though that if you go to the better quality places you are more likely to get stuff that is nice, I have always loved Benneton and Karen Millen for lasting classic clothes and some of the french chains and Marks and Spensers for stuff that you can wear for the season. I would not even now consider Topshop though as their clothes are a bit too young!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

God Bless You. R u inside my head??

And you cant say ohh there too heavy to wear that because then theres uproar..there no too heavy to wear it it just doesnt suit them!!

for example..mini skirts,leggings,skinny jeans

now i am 5'7 and 10 and wouldnt ATTEMPT to wear skinny jeans let alonge leggings!!!!

Usually an anorexic starts the trend (eg KAte Moss) and size 16s think its attractive on them???its blatantly not?

And the thing that annoys me sooo much is bigger people r soooo attractive in my opinion.much more than waifs ,so it annoys me when they dont dress to flatter and accentuate their shape?Accentuate your looks not your rolls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

There are lots of shops out there that cater to the more adult market. Dorothy Perkins, Principles, Wallis, Debenhams, M&S, to name but a few. I don't understand why you are complaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭X-SL

I see skinny (YES VERY FCUKING SKINNY) girls with flab (how??) because they have tighter jeans on than they should.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

I see where you're coming from. There are alot of styles in shops right now, that dont suit the average punter. But people insist on wearing whats "fashionable" as opposed to what suits them.
    I say fashionable lightly, because leggings never worked. Only on Audrey Hepburn and never in the 80's.

Thing is there is lots of 50's style clothing out their at the moment that would suit someone 12-14.
    Some of it is stylish and some of it is bordering on the ridiculous as always its about cutting out what doesnt suit you, and identifying what does.

But yeah, there are far too many women out there at the moment that dont know the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

dudara wrote:
    There are lots of shops out there that cater to the more adult market. Dorothy Perkins, Principles, Wallis, Debenhams, M&S, to name but a few. I don't understand why you are complaining.

Yep, I agree. Just don't shop in places like River Island and you're sorted. You can generally tell by the age of the customers in the shop whether you'd be suited to the 'look' the shop caters for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭idontknowmyname

I agree, I hate seeing women who wear tight little tops or tank tops with a huge belly hanging over their skirts or jeans, I seen a few at the Metallica concert yesterday and it was ugly! Dress in something that flatters, not something that will draw attention for the wrong reasons and will make people think 'oh god, what is she wearing'.

Mango do all of their clothes in size 16-18 and have womanly clothes. The average age of their customers are over 30 and even middle aged women are big customers, you'd be surprised that the larger lady can shop there also

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭brown*eyed*girl

Just slightly off topic but what worries me about these girly clothes is that they do only go up to size 14 (if you are lucky). A lot of shops for teenagers like Japan, No Name etc. often have tops and dresses that are one size only. Imagine the pressure if you are a slightly chubby teenager. No wonder eating disorders are so common. Its disgraceful. My daughter is lucky and is a size 8 but I do worry about her. Least as adults we can (well try anyway) to shop around for alternative stuff but when you're a teenager its hard to find a trendy alternative if you're a 12 or 14+.

Also to add the leggings that are "in" big time for teens come in sizes S/M or M/L. Now I've worn a pair of the M/L under a lovely knitted dress and they are fitting me (I'm only 7st and 5ft 1) so who are they making these clothes for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

thanks for the replies, but re: some of the shops mentioned, I used to love Wallis, but they are now moving into the girlie fashion as well, with stupid shaped skirts, tops with no sleeves, etc. I've been into them several times and walked away disapointed. I haven't tried M&S I always associated them as being old fashioned, so I'll try them, and also thanks for the tip on Mango, again I'll try them, just to add that I don't live in Dublin so its not always easy for me to just pop in, I have to organise a shopping trip.

Also to the comment about women's sizes, most women I know are the size 12-16 mark, and there was a time when a 12 to 14 was not considered big, it was considered a medium size, I find it scary that even topless models, etc, who used to be curvy, are now skinny, let alone fashion models, also the size 4 was never invented until recent years. I do feel that a lot of fashion is being geared to very slender shapes, not just because of what is in the shops, but also because High street shops get their ideas from designers, who make clothes for very skinny women.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Topshop etc do "fast fashion" - often gimmicky, poorly made stuff not meant to last beyond a few months in terms of being trendy so I think you have to start buying in different types of shops when you get older. Go for more exclusive boutiques and so on and buy unusual stuff that suits your build and that while costing more will actually last longer and thus turn out to be good value. Imhoe anyway!

Advertisement