Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Anime

Options
  • 10-06-2006 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Because of college and stuff, I was a bit busy, and have fallen waaaaay behind on the anime scene. In terms of whats being downloaded, I dunno whats goin on anymore. On the plus side is that, with such a large backlog, hopefully I'll have many an episode if not series to watch back to back :D

So yeah, the only thing that I've managed to have a peek of is Blood+. The first ep looked good but now its in the 20somethingth.

Anyone have any recomendations of new and on going stuff to watch over the summer?

New = made in 2002 or after.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

naruto or bleach or samuri 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

Bleach is superb for the first 64 or so eps, after that, they're pretty much filler til the Manga gets far enough ahead. So that should keep you going for a while. Still airing.

A recent must see is Higurashi no Naku Koro ni. Excellent series. Very challenging. Very interesting. A true definition of horror where everything is a mystery. Still airing.

An older must see (that is completed and has 52 episode if you include both series) is Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. It's not like the movie, in that it's easier to understand the underlying issues and get into without too much thought. Pretty damned fantastic in my opinion, and the vast majority of the episodes were very strong. Completed, but further releases in series are due.

Keroro Gunsou is probably one of the pinnacles of anime comedy in my opinion. Lampoons popular culture that anime-geeks will appreciate and other anime series. Highly recommend.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is great in a weird and wonderful kind of way (though I'm starting to think the main hook might be the non-sequential order of episodes). School girl with mysterious powers who doesn't realise it, the dipstick guy who becomes her foil and the collection of characters all secretly investigating her. Still airing.

xxxHolic isn't bad - kinda unique style to it. Story is basic - witch granting wishes at a price. Even the main 'hero' character of the show is there because he was trapped by her. Still airing.

Ouran High School Host Club is nice brain candy - poor person in rich school, and forced by circumstances(including mistaken identity) to join a 'host' club. Editing and visual presentation is good, and is overall enjoyable series. Still airing.

2002 is a long time in anime - four years worth - I mean, you're talking the era of the first 'Full Metal Panic!', so you've probably missed a lot of things that people would regard as old, including 'Voices of a Distant Star', '.hack//SIGN', 'Witch Hunter Robin', 'Twin Spica' and more. I've only listed things that are coming to mind as probably 2002 or later(I remember because that's when I started my current career).

I bet you'll get more then a summers worth of recommendations. So there's only one thing you can do: Damn all calls for moderation, buy in lots of food and drink, avoid all uneeded contact with outside world, close the curtains so that shiny orb in the sky outside can't shoot it's death-rays of heat at you and happy viewing! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Graki_Khan wrote:
    Anyone have any recomendations of new and on going stuff to watch over the summer?

New = made in 2002 or after.

That's not new!

How you intending to watch them? Local DVD, import DVD, fansub ?

As local DVDs go, the biggest releases of the last few years were:
    Noir, RahXephon, Full Metal Panic!, Elfen Lied, Paranoia Agent, Last Exile, Hellsing, Boggiepop Phantom, Samurai Champloo, Serial Experiments Lain, Cowboy Bebop, Full Metal Alchemist, Ghost in the Shell SAC, Chobits but some of those titles we got late.

Fansub wise, theres the titles mentioned, and recently Fate Stay Night, REC, Shakugan no Shana, Mai Hime/Mai Otome, Eureka 7, Monster, Air Gear, Scrapped Princess etc. were all pretty popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

anyone see any of "Ergo Proxy" Looks good. I have seen the first couple of episodes and I shall be adding it to my dvd collection.
    Plot Summary: In a world where humans and androids, known as autoreivs, live in relative peace, there exists a domed city named "Romdeau". Under the implementation of complete management control, it is a paradise where feelings are literally discarded, and the governing council dictates the way of life the citizens should live. But this utopian landscape is soon broken by a series of mystifying murders. Real Mayar, a female inspector from the Citizen Information Bureau, along with her autoreiv partner Iggy, are tasked to solve the murder cases. She is soon attacked by a creature drawn to her which is neither human nor android, and learns about the mysterious phenomena called "Awakening", an event which draws her further into the case...and to the world beyond the limits of Romdeau.

Quote taken from Here

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Graki_Khan

sharingan wrote:
    That's not new!

How you intending to watch them? Local DVD, import DVD, fansub ?

Well I wasn't really sure how up too speed people here are on their anime. Preferably I like to watch fansubs and if the series is good I buy it when it comes out in a box set.

If you want to talk new then, what anime series have interested you out of the 06 spring releases or even summer releases.

A mate gave me a load of first eps of random series from the spring releases and the only one that really interested me was blood+, so other people should look out for that.

Oh yeah, and I was told that the new series of Honey and Clover is coming out at the end of the month so yippie. And if you havent seen the first series then do. Its like a drama romance but not - recomended for those people that think that anime is too repeticious in style or story.

I'm not a big fan of bleach or naturo. I have no patience for filler or anything resembling filler. And im kinda bored with most typical anime at the moment.

What I would call not typical anime would be Samurai Champloo, FMA, Full Metal Panic, Honey and Clover. That kinda thing.

So if you know of a show that would fit in the "non typical" catagory, give us a shout, and thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement