Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

02 VW Golf or new Nissan Micra?

Options
  • 10-06-2006 5:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I have been looking at changing my car and it works out that for about the same cost I could get either a 2002 VW Golf Comfortline or a brand new Nissan Micra. Both seem pretty reliable and have a warranty.

The Golf is more spacious, but probaly more expensive to run while the Nissan has a longer warranty, but could be problematic for my 6'4" hubby to drive.

Any views on which would make a better buy would be most appreciated...

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I'd go for the golf, it wont make you look like a frog.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The Golf is a much nicer car imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

Can I be awkward and say "neither"?

The golf is relatively overpriced secondhand, and has a better reputation than it deserves. A friend of mine is having a lot of hassle with one at the moment (nasty stuff like cambelt tensioners failing when they shouldnt).

The Micra is fine, but not the nicest looking IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭vixen2005

if i had the choice id say golf golf golf ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

golf.

resale is outstanding, room is great and if you can buy a new micra, you can afford the slight increase in running costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

cantdecide wrote:
    golf.

resale is outstanding

Depreciation will be a hell of a lot more over say 2 years than a new Micra. The cheapest new Micra is €15k. €15k for a 4-4.5 year old Golf (I presume it is a 1.4?) is plain ridiculous imho. In just over 2 years time when it is nearly 7 years old, it'll be worth €6k, so depreciation €9k. The Micra will only have depreciated around €4k. Big difference!
    maidhc wrote:
    Can I be awkward and say "neither"?

The golf is relatively overpriced secondhand, and has a better reputation than it deserves

Agree. If you want to buy a brand new supermini and want to minimise depreciation, I'd go Toyota Yaris

If you want to buy a 4 year old small family hatch size car and want good value, don't buy the Golf but one of her siblings: buy a Seat Leon or get great value for money and buy a Skoda Octavia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

How about a Mini? Residuals are fantastic and they are great fun to drive and own!

Alternatively I'd have a look at a used Corolla - more reliable then the Golf and you should be able to get a fairly decent model for your budget.

commited wrote:
    How about a Mini? Residuals are fantastic and they are great fun to drive and own!

Great suggestion! For your budget of €15k you'd get an '02 Cooper. Cracker of a car :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Two very dissimilar cars. If it was my choice it would be the Golf. No questions asked - Golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

GOLF! for the love of god!:D

• Advertisement

crosstownk wrote:
    If it was my choice it would be the Golf. No questions asked - Golf.

Questions will be asked: why the Golf?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Maisey wrote:
    I have been looking at changing my car and it works out that for about the same cost I could get either a 2002 VW Golf Comfortline or a brand new Nissan Micra. Both seem pretty reliable and have a warranty.

The Golf is more spacious, but probaly more expensive to run while the Nissan has a longer warranty, but could be problematic for my 6'4" hubby to drive.

Any views on which would make a better buy would be most appreciated...

Thanks

A new Micra costs around €14k or €15k. So whoever is asking for similar money for a 4 year old Golf needs a reality check imo. Also they are not as reliable as their reputation suggests and the 1.4 litre is sluggish.

Also there are better superminis than the Micra out there. The Toyota Yaris as already mentioned, also the Ford Fiesta.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

As others have said, it's ridiculous that a 2002 Golf cost the same as a new Micra. OK the Golf is a class bigger but its a 4 year old car and its design dates back to 1998. As for warranties, the one with the Golf will be a 1 year dealer warranty, the one with the Micra will be a 3 year manufacturer warranty. Big difference there.

I don't like the look of the Micra so wouldn't buy one. But there are other small cars in the same price range as the Micra. Eg the Suzuki Swift or Fiat Grande Punto. Fiats come with a 4 year manufacturer warranty these days which is a big selling point IMO. Depreciation will still be bad. The Punto has always been renowned for being spacious so I'd say the 6 foot 4 hubby should fit OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Fiat engines are sh!te tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If you're considering a Golf, but want a new car, try a Seat Ibiza, they start at around €15,500 for a 1.2 5 door and give Golf-like interior trimmings. It also helps that they're not as uncool as the MIcra....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

buy a new golf for 20500 and watch it depreciate at the rate of a glaciar.
    whereas the micra will probably kill you if the worst happens the golf will probably save u.
    theres no comparison between even the mk4 and the new micra/yaris etc. WAY more refined car.
    people are just jealous imho the golf depreciates so little and call the 1.4 sluggish. i wonder if any of these people have ever driven it. u could cross a continent in the 1.4 mkiv golf relaxed whereas cars like the micra and yaris would cripple you..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

If you listened to every word uttered on this thread, you'd be forgiven for thinking that every single Golf that rolls off the production line dies within a few days of ownership. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Golf 1.4 will also accelerate at the rate of a glacier!

0-60 in 14.4 seconds

The Micra is going to be no quicker to 60!!

Your average 1.4 Golf driver is about as interested in 0-60 times as a Micra driver.

lomb wrote:
    buy a new golf for 20500 and watch it depreciate at the rate of a glaciar.
    whereas the micra will probably kill you if the worst happens the golf will probably save u.
    theres no comparison between even the mk4 and the new micra/yaris etc. WAY more refined car.
    people are just jealous imho the golf depreciates so little and call the 1.4 sluggish. i wonder if any of these people have ever driven it. u could cross a continent in the 1.4 mkiv golf relaxed whereas cars like the micra and yaris would cripple you..

The new Yaris is quite a big car (beside the Corolla there isn't a massive difference), and I can't see how it is less safe than a Golf with all its high tech stuff and airbags left right and centre (up to 9). If you get the 90bhp D4D it will be a lively thing on the road too! And they also hold their value, and are by all accounts the more reliable.

There is no jealousness there lomb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

lomb wrote:
    people are just jealous imho the golf depreciates so little and call the 1.4 sluggish.

I would call 14.2 seconds for a 0-60 sluggish. Especially when you compare it to the 1.2 clio (13.0), 1.2 Corsa (12.0), 1.25 Fiesta (13.6). VW's own 1.2 Polo can do it in 14.4.

EDIT** forgot the Yaris. the 1.3 will do it in 11.1

Just looking there. The slowest 1.5 diesel megane will do it in 12.3

Big Balls wrote:
    The Micra is going to be no quicker to 60!!.
    The Mirca will do it in 13.5.

http://www.parkers.co.uk/choosing/?frommenu=true

Big Balls wrote:
    Your average 1.4 Golf driver is about as interested in 0-60 times as a Micra driver.

Then why do golf drivers always try to refute the sluggish comments?

Stekelly wrote:
    I would call 14.2 seconds for a 0-60 sluggish.

That is what my mondeo TD does.

Yep, its sluggish.

Stekelly wrote:
    The Mirca will do it in 13.5.

I refuse to get into an argument over 0-60 times between a Micra and a 1.4 Golf. If it's one second in the difference, fine. It's still pretty close and like I said, means sweet FA to someone who owns a Micra or a 1.4 Golf - if they were into 0-60 times, they wouldn't buy either cars.
    Stekelly wrote:
    Then why do golf drivers always try to refute the sluggish comments?

I don't know. I don't own a 1.4 car and I never will. A 1.4 Golf is without a doubt sluggish. Rev a Micra however and it will also sound harsh and underpowered.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Lomb said that the Golf was called sluggish by Jealous people. I was mearly pointing out that it is, in fact, sluggish when compare to it's own and other manufacturers smaller engined cars. The gap widens whne you compare cars in the same segment ( I got bored after checking the Megane so didnt compile the list as with the 1.2 cars)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

i misphrased it sorry, i meant people are jealous that the golf remains expensive when 5 or 6 years old relative to any other car in its class. they cant understand this even though they secretly want one or their wife /gf does. this is why they are dear used!
    the golf 1.4 has more torque than smaller jap engines regardless of 0-60 and the 50-70 in gears is reasonable in the golf.
    in any case vw are moving to fsi engines which are powerful and small so the future can only be bright for vw. when all is said and done the 1.4 is not that slow a car for the average driver. its refined, practical and dependable , looks good and is comfortable, safe and depreciates slow. this is why they hold their money.

That's a load of crap. Stop spreading misinformation. Golf IV and current Micra score the same in EuroNCAP. Both score 4 stars/25 points.

The Golf holds its value so well simply because Joe Public who knows f**k all about cars gets fooled by VW's clever marketing and image that they've developed over the years. And because of "pub talk" misinformation like I've quoted above.

The result is strong demand and high used values. Now the Golf IV is an OK car and fairly reliable but is completely overrated compared to its class competitors.

BrianD3 wrote:
    That's a load of crap. Stop spreading misinformation. Golf IV and current Micra score the same in EuroNCAP. Both score 4 stars/25 points.

The Golf holds its value so well simply because Joe Public who knows f**k all about cars gets fooled by VW's clever marketing and image that they've developed over the years. And because of "pub talk" misinformation like I've quoted above.

The result is strong demand and high used values. Now the Golf IV is an OK car and fairly reliable but is completely overrated compared to its class competitors.

Who cares?

My apartment isn't worth what Dublin prices say it is, but if I sell it tomorrow, I'm still the happy former owner. Same can be said of Golf owners!

I could argue you are spreading misinformation by claiming a Golf is not reliable. Figures show that they are. All cars have problems, you cannot tar every single unit in the world because you have a mate who has a dodgy one.

Big Balls wrote:
    Who cares?

My apartment isn't worth what Dublin prices say it is, but if I sell it tomorrow, I'm still the happy former owner. Same can be said of Golf owners!

Can the same be said of someone who spends 15k on a 4yo Golf that may and may not implode within the next 3 years?

Without a doubt, you have a point.. but what's to say the other used cars suggested in this thread won't do the same? If we were talking about a FIAT Ritmo here, I'd take your point a bit more seriously, there's nothing to suggest that a fully serviced 4 year old VW is a bad buy.

The only one guaranteed is the new Micra but then again, it all depends on Nissans warranty length which brings us back to the OP's question.. Golf or Micra? :D

• Advertisement

Big Balls wrote:
    Who cares?
    I'd imagine the OP cares. As would anyone else who was in the market for a 4 year old Golf and finds them far more expensive than similar cars from other manufacturers.
    I could argue you are spreading misinformation by claiming a Golf is not reliable. Figures show that they are. All cars have problems, you cannot tar every single unit in the world because you have a mate who has a dodgy one.
    Wasn't me who said the Golf was unreliable. I said it was fairly reliable but overrated.

In any case a 4 year old Golf will probably have 45-50k miles up (average mileage 12k per year) and could well have had the sh1t driven out of it by crap Irish drivers on crap Irish roads. In contrast a brand new Micra has 0 miles on the clock and has a 3 year warranty. Which car would you rather rely on?

Advertisement