Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

02 VW Golf or new Nissan Micra?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Maybe they perform well in reliability surveys because they are so devoid of anything which is standard on other cars that theres nothing to break.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Its a silly comparision. The cars aren't even in the same category.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Its a silly comparision. The cars aren't even in the same category.

very true. we shouldn't compare these two cars. if the question was "used family hatch or new supermini". i'd say used hatch. the vast majority of new and newer cars these days are reliable.

what about a golf vs fabia?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Golfs don't fare particularly well in reliability surveys! and anyone who pays anything over €11,500 for an 02 1.4 base Golf is an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

colm_mcm wrote:
    Golfs don't fare particularly well in reliability surveys! and anyone who pays anything over €11,500 for an 02 1.4 base Golf is an idiot.

Exactly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I'd have to say I wouldn't get either, either. If I was confused between a Micra (small & nippy) and a Golf (bigger and solid), I'd go for a middle ground like the Skoda Fabia. For €15k you'd probably get somewhere between a good 04 or 05, so big depreciation will be gone. Not sure how it is for a 6'4" driver but go see. Very solid and Germanic build - even the old 1.4 8V Mpi engine is poky enough for most everyday driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Dilbert75 wrote:
    I'd have to say I wouldn't get either, either. If I was confused between a Micra (small & nippy) and a Golf (bigger and solid), I'd go for a middle ground like the Skoda Fabia. For €15k you'd probably get somewhere between a good 04 or 05, so big depreciation will be gone. Not sure how it is for a 6'4" driver but go see. Very solid and Germanic build - even the old 1.4 8V Mpi engine is poky enough for most everyday driving.

For €15,000 it'd want to be a fairly special 04 or 05 Fabia, given that new ones start at €14,500

Advertisement