Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meter box location change

• 10-06-2006 6:18pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I am currently in the middle of an extension.

ESB wise, I will be adding a utility room and a playroom to the exisiting consumer unit.
    The meter box will be moving from the old porch to the outside wall of the extension.

I can get an electrician to do the work but is not Ecssa or Reci certified.
    Do I need to supply a cert to the esb for them to move the supply from the old meter box to the new one ??
    Can I get the esb to cert it ??

Any other advice, comments

thx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭sparkyjo

yes you do need a cert for doing that kind of work i am an electrician did you electrician tell you needed one usually its handier to just pay a registered electrician to give you a cert probably cheaper to

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Ok - so I need a cert to get the esb to move the box

I have a family member who will do the electrics (but not Reci certed).

But how do I get a certified electrician to just give me a cert ??

Do I need to contact RECI or Ecssa for them to send someone out to test, certify and supply a cert ???

thx

any contacts around Navan/Meath ????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭gubby

yeah you definatly need a reci certified. the esb is charge €340 but if you have other work to do like put cables underground they will do that too.. all for €340
    I work for esb. pity you didnt do it a few weeks ago it would only have cost €189

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

gubby wrote:
    yeah you definatly need a reci certified. the esb is charge €340 but if you have other work to do like put cables underground they will do that too.. all for €340
    I work for esb. pity you didnt do it a few weeks ago it would only have cost €189

so - if I have the whole ext wired etc - they will come out and cert the ext for me for 340 before moving the meter box ???

might this be an easier option ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 shoeboxSure

I'm converting my garage into a playroom, the meter was at the LHS of the room and the electrician got some cert from the esb & told me to ring them; they said I have to get the esb out to move the meter box outside - for €397. Does this sound right? why can't I just get my electricianto move it outside into the box he's made?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

I'm converting my garage into a playroom, the meter was at the LHS of the room and the electrician got some cert from the esb & told me to ring them; they said I have to get the esb out to move the meter box outside - for €397. Does this sound right? why can't I just get my electricianto move it outside into the box he's made?

your electrician must do the preparation work,ie
    install new meter cabinet
    install new mains cable
    open ground to find and join esb cable outside
    arrange ducting for new esb mains cable

he has to submit the cert to get esb out and do their reposition
    the esb do have a charge for their work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Because nobody only the ESB are allowed to touch the esb box meter, the esb disconnect it, and reconnect it after the box has been moved

Advertisement