Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are plastic BB guns legal here?

Options
  • 10-06-2006 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭

I spotted a few items in my local Spar that raised an eyebrow, including a plastic BB pistol, a "rocket" and a variety of other little pieces that are marketed as toys, but are possibly borderline.

I realise this is better than the steel BB slingshot :eek: in the sports shop around the corner, but I suspect the controls would be much lower in Spar.

Comments?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I think, technically, practically anything that emits a projectile could be construed to fall under the remit of the current Firearms Acts, should the 'People in Charge' decide it should be so.
    See the ongoing confusion over paintball and airsoft guns.

There's talk in the amendments to the Firearms Acts of a power limit under which 'things' will be regarded as toys, 1 joule, if I recollect correctly.

I'd assume the BB guns you're looking at would fall into this category.

Still plenty of scope for 'putting someone's eye out' though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Rovi wrote:
    Still plenty of scope for 'putting someone's eye out' though :(
    Or ear! It specificly say not to fire at the ear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Victor wrote:
    It specificly say not to fire at the ear.
    I'm actually kinda disappointed that none of the manuals for my guns say this :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭BOBTHESHOOTER

Victor wrote:
    I spotted a few items in my local Spar that raised an eyebrow, including a plastic BB pistol, a "rocket" and a variety of other little pieces that are marketed as toys, but are possibly borderline.

I realise this is better than the steel BB slingshot :eek: in the sports shop around the corner, but I suspect the controls would be much lower in Spar.

Comments?

Well as I understand it the new legislation will take soft air from the list of a defined firearm, what happens with a squib load, does it mean that your firearm cannot be classified as a firearm because the projectile had less than 1 Joule of energy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That raving aside, my local "Spar" must be aware of the new legislation because they are selling softair for arond a €5.00, really nice Derringer look alikes. My how times have changed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭17HMR

That raving aside, my local "Spar" must be aware of the new legislation because they are selling softair for arond a €5.00, really nice Derringer look alikes. My how times have changed!

Well, they're certainly no more dangerous than those spring powered guns that shoot the sucker tipped darts that I'm sure everyone on here has had as a kid.

Certainly less dangerous than a hurley ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

;);););) It's all grand till someone looses an eye!;) ;););)

;);););) It's all grand till someone looses an eye!;) ;););)

Common household item that could result in eye injury:
    1. scissors
    2. biro, marker, pencils etc
    3. cleaning fluids/bleach etc
    5. plastic toy swords - any toy with a pointy bit
    6. marbles
    7. squash balls
    8. knives/forks/spoons
    9. knitting needles
    etc etc etc

Can't ban everything.
    Blame the user (or their parent) not the inanimate object.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭IronWolf

Can anyone shed some light on when the legislation is going to take affect, if it hasn't done so already?

And anyone thinking of buying an airsoft gun be sure to buy some decent eye protection, you've only got two :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Most eye injuries I see are from angle grinders and fists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Originally Posted by Traumadoc
    angle grinders and fists.

That must have been some fight :D:D:D:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

BELIVE it can get stupider and more PC!! In todays Daily Mail,a school in the UK has banned kids from flying paper planes in the classroom!!:eek: :eek:
    They can throw them at "targets"in the schol yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭IronWolf

To be fair though the UK has got it worse then most, what with the proposed banning of sale, importation or manufacture of anything that looks like a gun (VCR bill)! Along with the recent knife amnesty (as though they actually think that the crinimals will hand their knives in).

And its not just in the UK either: click here :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

criminals use knifes step back i thought the in thing at the mo was a €150 glock

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

:mad: All this nonsense proves once again that we have no self respect and will accept any crap from Dublin . Its more depressing that we have nobody to shout stop. My own interest is in airguns and we have the most draconian laws in Europe. The effect of the one gun, one licence policy is a complete suffocation of airgun sport in Ireland. Why can't we return to the pre 1973 legistation which served us well since the foundation of the state ? Now that we know the IRA are not going to overthrow the state with airguns could'nt responsible adults be allowed enjoy their sport ?. I think we should form a new loobby Airguns for adults perhaps ??

IronWolf wrote:
    And its not just in the UK either: click here :p

Ban the paint...
    Marvelous :)

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭whupass

17HMR wrote:
    Certainly less dangerous than a hurley ;)

too right!!!

i got hit in the eye by a hurley when i was 7 and an inch lower and i would have lost my eye. i had to get 9 stitches and all!!
    IronWolf wrote:
    Can anyone shed some light on when the legislation is going to take affect, if it hasn't done so already?

And anyone thinking of buying an airsoft gun be sure to buy some decent eye protection, you've only got two

i talked to a guard and he said a "LONG TIME it's in the pipeline but these things take time you know? NOW F**K OFF YOU LITTLE RASCAL!!!" well not the last bit but his tone said it!

and on eye protection NO EXCUSES WEAR IT!!!!!!! it's not exactly breaking the bank is it??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

As this thread (which has been debated here numerous times before, has descended into a bit of a whinge-fest, I think it's time for the close button.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement