Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Suffrage - Just Say No!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Excellent! Although I'm wondering what trouble he got in for that little stunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Harmless fun, I hope he didn't get in too much trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That's well shot actually. I'd say it's very like a lot of similar stuff, where they remove most of the people who understood what he was actually asking.

An intelligent prank though. Far from being punished by the school, they should have been awarded for their creativity and uniqueness. Oh wait, it's the U.S. isn't it?

I think it actually proves two things:
    1. A lot of people don't know what "suffrage" is (I don't remember the word ever appearing in secondary school for me)
    2. If you put a petition in front of someone, there's a good chance they'll sign it, without actually asking you why.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

AH, not Pol - imo

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Yes! No more suffering for women!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

seamus wrote:
    I think it actually proves two things:
    1. A lot of people don't know what "suffrage" is (I don't remember the word ever appearing in secondary school for me)
    It should have appeared in your history lessons.
    2. If you put a petition in front of someone, there's a good chance they'll sign it, without actually asking you why.
    Truth. Hmm....

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Karoma wrote:
    It should have appeared in your history lessons.
    "Should" being the operative word. Now, I'll be honest and say that I only did History up to Junior Cert level. All I remember from that though is a painfully anti-british recount of Irish independence and the U.S. revolution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

seamus wrote:
    An intelligent prank though. Far from being punished by the school, they should have been awarded for their creativity and uniqueness. Oh wait, it's the U.S. isn't it?

Oh wait - it was a Catholic school wasnt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

May have got into trouble for either taking the piss out of the school, and/or not displaying appropriate gender sensitivity. Does demonstrate the uselessness of polls and petitions though. People have no clue what theyre signing, but their name is highjacked for some cause. Though the same can be said for voting.

EDIT - Actually all they got was a telling off by a nun and one days detention for misleading their teacher (distributed the video on the web, humiliating girls who were caught out).

What sort of school system did you experience where creativity and uniqueness were rewarded over and beyond exam grinds to get points for 3rd level places? And oh yeah, it was a copy of an old stunt done on TV years before, so not all that creative or unique.

Advertisement