Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

running games on laptop

Options
  • 10-06-2006 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Ok originally posted in laptops but think this is the place for my question

got a laptop recently (HP5157, 1.8GHz, 1GBRam, ATI200M 128mb graphics card) and wanted to play Quake4 on it. Downloaded Direct X9.0c but when i try to play Q4 the screen looks for a few seconds like its loading up but then returns to desktop with no error msgs or anything.

I have far cry and C&C running with no probs. Any ideas on what might be going wrong?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Well the ATI-200M is just an integrated GPU it could Quake 4 is just too much for it.

However a few things to try, are you using the latest Catalyst 6.5 drivers ?

Try and set the GPU to be allowed to use as much system RAM as it can, well at least 256MB if possible if it is a shared design.

Install the latest Quake 4 patch 1.2.

Also there appears to be some bug in the game relating to OpenAL support (an audio API) a thread here describes how to resolve the issue, the symptoms of crashing before loading sound similar to yours. However it seems to do with Creative sound cards and the last poster asks about the same problem you have and then says need to get a new graphics card as he also had the ATI-200M integrated graphics.

Finally the ATI-200M is not listed under the supported GPU's for minimum requirements of Quake 4 which simply may be the reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I think its only a 128mb solution but as well as thought I thought it was dedicated rather then shared.

Apparently it works with Battlefield 2 and Half Life 2 ok on lowish settings so I would imagine it should run Quake IV even if it is at low...

Its not listed in most games as meeting the minimum but it still works in most cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 edmondo

hmmmm, i think soundstore may have pulled the wool.... they were running Quake 4 on the hp8153 (I think or 8173) and the only difference in spec btwn this and my machine was a 17inch screen vs 15 inch and 160GB HD vs 100GB. Think they mustave fitted a better graphics card on their display model.
    Feel a little robbed. Must ring them tomorrow.

Advertisement