Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW Gearbox overheating

Options
  • 10-06-2006 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭

I got a new clutch in my 328i recently. I took it out to Liffey Valley and was eager to see how the new clutch felt on the road. After an hour or so of driving the gearbox started to heat up. There was no smell but the whole area around the gearbox was very hot. The leather covering the gearbox stick, the plastic covering which holds the electric window buttons etc was all hot.. Even the carpet/upholstery on the side of the gearbox all the way down to the clutch was warm. I had the car out on the M50 but didn't push it too hard. I took it home and let it cool down for an hour and took it out for a gentle trip around the block and after 5 minutes it started to heat up again (a lot faster this time).. Does anyone know what this could be? Could it be related to the new clutch?

Any info much appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭mmenarry

Could be that they drained the gearbox oil for the clutch change (necessary part for some cars), and didn't put the oil back in, or not enough, or it's leaked, or it's got cheap crap in.

Worth checking.

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

thanks mmenarry & cantdecide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

The only few things I can think of is as previously indicated, oil lever or type incorrect or nil.

An exhaust heat shield(s) had to be removed and was not replaced, common shortcut. So now instead of he heatshield getting hot the floor of your car is.
    Part of the exhaust had to be removed or disconnected and got out of the way, it was not reconnected properly and is now leaking exhaust gas up towards the floor.

They switched you box for a heap of scrap they had laying about, and it's been filled with a mixture of oil and sawdust to keep it quiet until the self distructs in 10K miles. Unlikely, but I've heard of worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

AMurphy wrote:
    The only few things I can think of is as previously indicated, oil lever or type incorrect or nil.

An exhaust heat shield(s) had to be removed and was not replaced, common shortcut. So now instead of he heatshield getting hot the floor of your car is.
    Part of the exhaust had to be removed or disconnected and got out of the way, it was not reconnected properly and is now leaking exhaust gas up towards the floor.

They switched you box for a heap of scrap they had laying about, and it's been filled with a mixture of oil and sawdust to keep it quiet until the self distructs in 10K miles. Unlikely, but I've heard of worse.

Thanks amurphy! That last thought is a scary one:eek: although the car has 110k miles on it so I doubt the existing gearbox would be of any use to them! I was recommended to the garage by a poster here. I'm sure it's something small which can be fixed. I got the impression they were a very good garage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement