Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A & B drives showing on laptop

• 10-06-2006 8:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭

My laptop is showing that I have 2 floppie attached - A & B when I have not attached. Computer freezes when u attempt to open drive.

Also Defrag opens but never does anything and u have to close it down.

Everything else seems Ok.

Any help very welcome.

regards,

HPMan.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

which version of windows ?
    USB drive ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Right-click on My Computer->Manage -> disk management.
    Please provide more information from there / screenshot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭HPMan

Thanks, Capt'n; using Win98SE and have no USB items attached now, tho have had an usb cdrw drive and webcam connected, at different times, in the past.

HPMan

Karoma, thanks for that, but lappie freezes when I attempt to access a: and / or b: drive. Can access c: drive fine, which is handy.

HPMan

Capt'n, will Defrag and Scandisk run in MS-Dos mode, without damaging Windows?? Cannot afford to lose access to Windows??

thanks for the help.

HPMan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

yes scandisk runs in MSDOS mode fine sure it does it in Win98 the whole time. I don't know about Defrag. But neither will remove the partitions on your drive. How is this going to help the 2 floppy situation though can i ask?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Boot into safe mode and go into device manager. Remove/uninstall all floppy drives and floppy drive controllers. Then reboot into normal mode and windows should only install the one drive, floppy a:
    If it installs floppy b: again, look the BIOS to make sure the floppy b or "swap floppy drive" is not enabled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

AFAIK, A and B drives appear as Virtual drives, if I remember correctly they are needed for Windows 98 to run, but shouldn't normally appear in My computer.

John

Well, thanks for all ur tips and help; the funny thing has happened - My Computer is now showing all correct instaled drives - just c and d, a and b are not installed and do not appear. The only thing I did was install Norton System works (well wud have, but have file error / OS conflict warning - another post to be made on this point later) and then uninstalled it; later checked in My Computer for something else and a and b drives were gone - STRANGE.

HPMan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Norton Sucks..... That is all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Lump wrote:
    Norton Sucks..... That is all.
    LOL. Agreed:D
    HPMan, You won't get System Works to install in Win98. Win2000 or higher is required afaik.

kaizer, i downloaded the program from their website and it was def for win98se. Have they messed up on their hyperlinks......and took my money???

HPMan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

No, you have had a lucky escape. Burn the receipt and the activation code or you'll be posting a lot more about how to recover from this, that and the other if you install NORTON.

Advertisement