Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question about the Irish tape

Options
  • 10-06-2006 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

Does spelling matter? I've heard it doesn't for place names, but am unsure about the rest :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

They were crapping on about it in the Chief Examiner's rep, so they might crack down on it this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

it does a bit

cos at the end dont they give you an extra mark out of 10, base on your general spelling??

well thats what our teacher has done for the last 2 years with every test..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

yeah thats what they do

but if you spell Conamara with an e you get nothing for that question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭DonaldDuck

My irish teacher told us:
    In general,if the spelling sounds like the irish spelling,and it follows the irish grammar rules you will more times than not get the marks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭Shelga

What kind of a teenager listens to Lyric FM in their spare time?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭sully-gormo

Usually they dont look at the spelling. Though they apparently get pernickety about place names. The exam is marked out of 90 and the add 10 marks graded for your irish. Worst case scenario youll get 5/10

Garret wrote:
    yeah thats what they do

but if you spell Conamara with an e you get nothing for that question

what??
    i dont believe that for a second, the spelling mark only matters at the end is what we were always told

(on a random note, i listen to lyric FM...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

Rockerette wrote:
    what??
    i dont believe that for a second, the spelling mark only matters at the end is what we were always told

(on a random note, i listen to lyric FM...)

because with the E its the English way. And they're really anal about things like that

hee hee i said anal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

Usually they dont look at the spelling. Though they apparently get pernickety about place names. The exam is marked out of 90 and the add 10 marks graded for your irish. Worst case scenario youll get 5/10

Yeah. Exactly what my teacher said. He has been corecting the LC for years. Tbh I wouldn't even think about it now! It's done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭deisedolly

They especially don't take place names into account! Because people who live in certain areas would then have unfair advantages over other people, like if there are students living in Connemara or whatever they will know how to spell their own town in Irish!

• Advertisement

i couldnt spell that place in Kerry.. Choirce Dhoibhne?? or something.. i spelt it really wrong anyway... the only time i have EVER encountered that place is in Irish listening, and i think thats pretty stupid if i get punished for not being able to spell some place in Kerry, when i live about as fair away from it as i possibly could, at the other side/end of the contry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭deisedolly

I spelt that place in Kerry 'Corc Go Ghoinne' haha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

According to my teacher:

One year, an answer was 'veain', meaning 'van' obviously. If you wrote the English spelling, 'van', you got no marks. But if you wrote 'bhean', or 'woman', you got full marks. So, no, spelling doesn't really matter, except for the 10 marks they take away at the end or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

Rockerette wrote:
    i couldnt spell that place in Kerry.. Choirce Dhoibhne?? or something.. i spelt it really wrong anyway... the only time i have EVER encountered that place is in Irish listening, and i think thats pretty stupid if i get punished for not being able to spell some place in Kerry, when i live about as fair away from it as i possibly could, at the other side/end of the contry

You'll get the marks if you spelt it like that, it's pretty close to Corca Dhuibhne. It's the name for the Gaeltacht area in the Dingle peninsula - it's great living in the south, places in Cork and Kerry come up every year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭tinka

there have been pretty tough marking schemes in the past so when we got our mocks corrected, the though one was used whereby if you got a letter wrong in a place name, you got it all wrong. this will probably be applied but if a significant amount of people had difficulties with a place name, they'll go easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

90/100 - Actually having the answers, regardless of spelling
    10/100 - Spelling

Using an English word loses you the marks for the question
    Placenames can;t lose you marks for the 10

That's how i understand it, anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

guys...it's over and done with! STOP ANALYSING!!!

Faerie wrote:
    You'll get the marks if you spelt it like that, it's pretty close to Corca Dhuibhne. It's the name for the Gaeltacht area in the Dingle peninsula - it's great living in the south, places in Cork and Kerry come up every year!

yeah see i spelt it wrong!
    Corca Ghuibhne i said.. i didnt have a clue! i got the Dangain bit..

and of course, Baile átha Cliath... and Gaoth Dobhair - (spelling?! its soemthign like that..)

were they the only places mentioned?

i was waiting for Litir Ceannin, i know that one!

guys...it's over and done with! STOP ANALYSING!!!

i just know that it went about 60zillion times better than the french one will go for me.... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

Rockerette wrote:
    yeah see i spelt it wrong!
    Corca Ghuibhne i said.. i didnt have a clue! i got the Dangain bit..

and of course, Baile átha Cliath... and Gaoth Dobhair - (spelling?! its soemthign like that..)

were they the only places mentioned?

i was waiting for Litir Ceannin, i know that one!

Yeah Gaoth Dobhair (I don't know the spelling either!) came up, but I'd never heard of it before so I put down Gid Eoghar! I don't think I'll get any marks for that....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭tinka

gaoth dobhair was actually mentioned in the first reading comprehension. and it's spelled leitir ceanainn ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

Rockerette wrote:
    i just know that it went about 60zillion times better than the french one will go for me.... ;)
    you'll be grand with french..it's much easier than irish regarding grammar and stuff! and there's no cases!!! once you know your vocab you'll be fine. trust me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

And you can write the answers in english, which makes it easier to just guess it =p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Sawa

tinka wrote:
    gaoth dobhair

Oh haha, i spelt that Gweedor!
    Hahaha :rolleyes:

Advertisement