Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lexus Experience

Options
  • 10-06-2006 9:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭

Went to the 'Lexus Experience' today in Killarney and it was some experience alright :)
    Test drove the GS450H and even though it was more than likely completely obvious to the crew running this event that hungover me could barely afford to buy a tyre for this car, let alone the car itself, they treated us like VIPs:cool: :cool:
    The car - Span new, 1k km on the clock, 3.5 V6 Petrol/Electric Hybrid with 340bhp and 0-60 in 5.9 seconds :-) Lexus guy came with us and was brilliant, dead sound, got me to experience all the features of the car - Encouraged me to plant it to experience the acceleration, how to activate the radar assisted cruise control (Was bricking it when cars started slowing down in front of us and he said not to touch the brakes but no fear the car slowed itself), different suspension settings, etc.
    If anyone gets a chance to drive one of these cars it's an experience not to be missed - The power is absolutely unbelievable, I've never experienced anything like it.... It's so quiet, the gearbox is CVT so no gear changes so no drop off in power for even a split second - Completely linear acceleration all the way until you run out of road or nerve, it's almost eerie the way something so big can accelerate so effortlessly :eek:
    Cool feature is that there is a KW meter in place of the rev clock and it shows when braking how the braking energy is being used to charge the batteries.
    The car was equipped with every gadget imaginable and the interior was one of the nicest places I've ever been, everything felt just right.
    Suspension was slightly more firm than I would like but then again with the performance on offer I guess it has to be and also, I thought the exterior styling was a bit on the iffy side.
    Got a good long spin in this car today and spent muchof it either accelerating hard or braking hard just so I could plant it again (The power was completely addictive) and I definitely it's gotta be the perfect car - apparently it even does 35/36 mpg (Probably not the way I was driving it today though :o )!
    When we finished the test drive today the guy gave me his card and, without doubt, he's the first person I'll call when my lotto numbers come up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

nice car alright, pity the batteries take up half the boot!

The great thing about the Lexus hybrids in Ireland is that they qualify for the VRT rebate. and given that the GS430 is even more expensive than the GS450H it's a (relatively expensive!) bargain!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I don't know considering the GS430H costs about €85k new, is the person who spends this kind of money on a car really concerned about mpg? Even that aside if they were equally concerned about the environment would they be even considering buying a hybrid that still has a 4.3 litre V8 petrol lump under the bonnet. I think this car will appeal more to the American celebrity market who at the moment think it is PC to drive a hybrid but the GS430H will still allow them to have a bit of muscle under the bonnet. I can see Cameron Diaz alright trading her Prius in for a GS430H.

I cannot see it being a huge hit in Europe to be honest, I think the development a good V8 diesel would have been a much more lucrative venture in Europe anyway.

Saying anyone who buys a GS450H isn't concerned about fuel consumption is a bit like saying the same anyone who buys an S class in diesel.

The GS450H isn't 4.3, it's 3.5.

Given that it's a performance hybrid, economy isn't top of the priority list either. although it's CO2 emissions are 186g/km which is around the same as an Avensis. It'll do 0-60 mph in 6 seconds, and go on to 100 in 14.2, that's very quick. It's large V8 territory

Wait till the new LS600H comes out, that'll be the one that will dispel any doubts.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Lexus. I just think having a diesel as an alternative to a petrol would be better suited to the European market from a sales point of view.
    colm_mcm wrote:
    Saying anyone who buys a GS450H isn't concerned about fuel consumption is a bit like saying the same anyone who buys an S class in diesel.

True to a point but I'm still not convinced these type of cars are really aimed at the fuel conscious buyer imo. I think there is more to diesels these days than just improved fuel economy, especially in this size of car.
    colm_mcm wrote:
    The GS450H isn't 4.3, it's 3.5.

Really. Where does the 450 come from, is it the combined bhp of the electric engine and petrol engine together?
    colm_mcm wrote:
    Wait till the new LS600H comes out, that'll be the one that will dispel any doubts.

I hope so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

I think most lexus drivers would probably not want a diesel in the bigger cars GS/LS. Say what you will about diesel technology but for me it will never be smooth or quiet as a lexus petrol.

As with a lexus that is what matters. As a lexus driver I would never had bought the car if I had to listen to a rattly diesel every time I started the engine. This is why lexus are going down the hybrid route. An even quieter driving experience

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

Mayshine wrote:
    I had to listen to a rattly diesel every time I started the engine.

There are few sounds as nice as listening to a 6.5L 6cyl Cummins diesel on tickover. Maybe that is just me though. :)

Diesels are quieter than petrols at cruising speeds due to the higher gearing, e.g. 35mph/1000rpm is common in top gear.

bazz26 wrote:

Really. Where does the 450 come from, is it the combined bhp of the electric engine and petrol engine together?

The 450 comes from the size of the 4.5 litre V8's that it rivals

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Lexus promote the hybrid vehicles for performance rather than economy. The RX400h would have better performance than most 4X4 petrols, even the V8's :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Slightly off topic, but sod it all, I went in an LS 430 this week and didn't even hear it drive up (had my back to the road), having been in the previous gen S-Class, I wouldn't even look at the Merc now, in the unlikely event I'd be in the market for a luxo-barge...

Advertisement