Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(H) Maths paper 2.

Options
  • 10-06-2006 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭

I apolagise if this has been posted already.
    What should I focus on learning for this?I don't really have time to learn them all.What ones are "expected" this year?
    I've heard cosine rule as one of them

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Nerd007

I was told to concentrate on Cosine Rule Proof, Difference Equation Proof and Perpendicular Distance Proof.

The last time a proof came up in Question 3 was in 1998 and it was the perpendicular distance one, and in 1997 it was the angle between two lines one. Theres only 6 proofs in paper two and cos only one came up in paper 1 people are expecting about 3 in this paper!!

Have you chosen which question you're gonna do? I've been told this is a good idea but also a bad idea! so i don't know! Im not doing the circle and thats for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Cosine rule, Cos(A-B) proof (trek), Angle between two lines, perpendicular distance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭DonaldDuck

Nerd007 wrote:
    I was told to concentrate on Cosine Rule Proof, Difference Equation Proof and Perpendicular Distance Proof.

The last time a proof came up in Question 3 was in 1998 and it was the perpendicular distance one, and in 1997 it was the angle between two lines one. Theres only 6 proofs in paper two and cos only one came up in paper 1 people are expecting about 3 in this paper!!

Have you chosen which question you're gonna do? I've been told this is a good idea but also a bad idea! so i don't know! Im not doing the circle and thats for sure!
    My teacher refused to do more than 6 questions with us so I have to do:

Circle
    Vector
    Line
    Trig
    Trig
    Calc

Im awful at the circle :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

Having six question prepared is best. You do them and then the parts you dont get out you usually have an hour to perfect. I did paper one and had about 4 questions (sub parts to do) in an hour. I didn waste my time doing extra. I just spent ages on the others and got them out. as soon as you have six done stop and perfec the whole thing. THere is a chnace my paper 1 is perfect and that is what I did. Just treid my best and it worked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Nerd007

yea im leaving out the circle question cos i can never get them to work out! i know all the theory, i just cant apply it! so im going in knowing the other 6 and i'll choose the easiest probability question.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I'm leaving out the line, unusually. There's so much more to learn in that chapter than, say, vectors. Probability is a joke of a question IMO. And everyone loves trigonometry, so the choice is obvious.

My strategy is to do those 6 questions first, and hopefully I'll get most of them out. If I only have a few (c) parts to do, then I'll spend the rest of the time trying to get them to work out. If I succeed with time remaining, I'll try the circle as a backup, even though I hate it with a passion. And if any of my first 6 questions prove disastrous (it's easy enough to forget to revise something and realise you haven't a clue how to do it), then the circle is again the backup. Makes sense really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

im hoping to get seven prepared! question do we have to know the difference equation proof?i dnt remember learning it!!ahh!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 unreg1987

NADA wrote:
    Having six question prepared is best. You do them and then the parts you dont get out you usually have an hour to perfect. I did paper one and had about 4 questions (sub parts to do) in an hour. I didn waste my time doing extra. I just spent ages on the others and got them out. as soon as you have six done stop and perfec the whole thing. THere is a chnace my paper 1 is perfect and that is what I did. Just treid my best and it worked

I couldn't disagree more.. our teacher is a chief examiner, he's done all the paper II questions with us and I must say I dont have any problems wtih any of them - I'm not even studying for this paper because if a proof comes up I'll just avoid that question. Probability is a throwaway in my opinion. I suppose we don't all have "the best maths teacher in the world" (according to our principal) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭JimmNeutron

Jus out of interest, does any 1 think centroid, orthocentre or circumcentre will b asked? Or maybe the division of a line?
    They havn't appeared in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

Em, what question is that? Is that not Tech. Graphics?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭JimmNeutron

im pretty sure its somewhere in the coordinate geometry questions. The line most likely???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Kovik

Yeah, it's in the line and the centroid and stuff is also covered in vectors.

At this stage, I'm shooting for nothing more than a pass. Will be doing both geometrical questions, both probability questions, vectors and further calculus. Trig is the devil. Components of it came up thrice, THRICE, on paper one and I was megapissed off. I passed the paper but it didn't give me the same comfortable point lead heading into paper two that I was hoping for. Also, I don't understand the Maclaurin series and never will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭sticky9cd

Jus out of interest, does any 1 think centroid, orthocentre or circumcentre will b asked? Or maybe the division of a line?
    They havn't appeared in a while.

centroid, orthocentre and circumcentre are not on the course but its a help to have some understanding of them. the devision of the line is very important to know and is nearly always up on vectors or the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

what is Tr+1 for the maclaurin series for f(x)=(1+x)^n ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 poppins9000

when proving cos2A = cos^2 A - sin^2 A (thats meant to be squared)
    is it ok to just use cos A+B or do we have to prove that too?

can a formula in the tables be used for a proof without proving it?? (ovbiously not the youre proving)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Anybody got any advice on how to go about the exam - do I at the start of the exam mark off six questions and focus on them, or do I mark off seven quickly and go like a bat out of hell and do all seven?

I'm thinking I should stick to six, but everybody seems to do seven!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭helles belles

does anyone have any incline of which mc laurin series is going to come up?
    i cant for the life of me learn that binomial one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

when proving cos2A = cos^2 A - sin^2 A (thats meant to be squared)
    is it ok to just use cos A+B or do we have to prove that too?

can a formula in the tables be used for a proof without proving it?? (ovbiously not the youre proving)

I think the general rule is that you work from top to bottom in the tables

does anyone have any incline of which mc laurin series is going to come up?
    i cant for the life of me learn that binomial one!
    Would it not be easier to learn how to do them rather than learn off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭helles belles

i know how to do them, just cant do the fecking binomial one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I'm preparing 6 questions.
    The Circle
    Vectors
    Co-Ord Geom
    Both probabilitys
    And Adv. Calculus.

I really have to do well on this paper cos my paper 1 was a disaster!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

We only have 6 questions prepared, circle, line, 2 trigonometry, vectors, q8. I'm starting to hate my teacher for not giving us options in either paper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

i'm doing the two trigs, circles, vectors, line and the calculus option. I'm sorted for circle and trig, half sorted for the other three.

i'm doing the two trigs, circles, vectors, line and the calculus option. I'm sorted for circle and trig, half sorted for the other three.
    Im sorted for everything but the circle :( I hate it so much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

We covered everything but i chose to ignore vectors. So i've 7 questions:

Circle
    co ord geom
    trig
    trig
    prob
    prob
    further calc

Faerie wrote:
    We only have 6 questions prepared, circle, line, 2 trigonometry, vectors, q8. I'm starting to hate my teacher for not giving us options in either paper!
    You know you could learn things by yourself? Especially Q6 & 7 cos they're piss easy.

If difference equations comes up, im gonna be so happy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

Just a question about probability and permutations because i usually get them wrong the first time i try them: Can you do the several times and hope that one of them is right and that you get the marks for the best effort? They take very little time to do.

whassupp2 wrote:
    Just a question about probability and permutations because i usually get them wrong the first time i try them: Can you do the several times and hope that one of them is right and that you get the marks for the best effort? They take very little time to do.
    No, that aint gonna work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

Slurms wrote:
    You know you could learn things by yourself? Especially Q6 & 7 cos they're piss easy.

If difference equations comes up, im gonna be so happy!

Somehow I don't think it would be a good idea to start learning new chapters 14 hours before the exam! Particularly since I've never done any form of probability maths. I think we were actually meant to do them but my teacher was sick and off for the last five weeks of school!

• Advertisement

Faerie wrote:
    Somehow I don't think it would be a good idea to start learning new chapters 14 hours before the exam! Particularly since I've never done any form of probability maths. I think we were actually meant to do them but my teacher was sick and off for the last five weeks of school!
    Too bad, cos I think they're the best thing on the course. They're pretty mucht he same every year and they're not that hard!

Advertisement