Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(H) Maths paper 2.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭anna.fun

I think I'm going to answer: 2x Probability & Discrete Maths, 1x Further Calculus, 2x Trigonometry, Vectors and Circle and if I have time I do the Line...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭sully-gormo

Am i the only one who hates vectors?? Maybe its cos we left it til after the mocks and i havent had time to revise it properly.
    Thats seven( eight if the dot product properties dont come up in vectors)
    You have to learn the Diff. Eqn. Proof (D4Gurl you dont have much time left to learn it!!)
    As far as I know the T(r+1) of the binomial maclaurin series is (nCr)(x^r)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

Circle & Line Geometry (sorted on Circle, just revising Line now) Vectors (iffy), Probability & Statistics (pretty ok), Further Discrete Mathematics (easy :))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Quick question, in prob - you have the P and the C button (permutations and combinations I think). Theres a really easy way of knowing in the question which to use - what is it?
    I know you can do it by looking at the size of the number, P makes the bigger number and C has something to do with binomial which I don't do - but there must be a more technical way!

Am i the only one who hates vectors?? Maybe its cos we left it til after the mocks and i havent had time to revise it properly.
    You have to learn the Diff. Eqn. Proof (D4Gurl you dont have much time left to learn it!!)
    We left it till hafter the mocks too, and it's my favourite question.
    Re: the distance equations proof, I never looked at it before (simply forgot) and learnt it in ten minutes or so, hardest thing was to understand where it's coming from but the steps are pretty much given away in the question...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I'm preparing eight, will leave the 2 co-ordinate geometry ones till last though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭sully-gormo

the P button is for permutations and means nPr; and similarily with combinations. You use nCr 's for both the binomial and combinations

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

I'm preparing eight because I'm choosing my questions based on whether or not I like the look of any of them on the day. I'm not too keen on any of the questions really so I don't want to limit myself before I even start.

Yeah, but I'm wondering how does this apply to probability - I can't remember how to distinguish between where to use a permutation and where to use a combination.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

cianclarke wrote:
    Yeah, but I'm wondering how does this apply to probability - I can't remember how to distinguish between where to use a permutation and where to use a combination.

When things are replaced you can't use combinations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ladyspud

Anybody got any hints on how to do the ratio test for McLaurin Series....? Starin at it all day and think i might just learn them off? !

grimloch wrote:
    When things are replaced you can't use combinations.
    Right, thanks!
    ladyspud wrote:
    Anybody got any hints on how to do the ratio test for McLaurin Series....? Starin at it all day and think i might just learn them off? !
    If you know the technique that's the easiest bit.
    Do out Un, do out Un+1, and then Un+1 (over) Un. Easiest way to do this is bring the fraction above the line, like in this example:
    A
    B = A.D
    C = B C
    D

If that makes sense.

Then, break out any funny indexes (e.g. X^n+1 becomes X^n by X).
    Also, remember (n+1)! = (n+1).(n!).

Finally, when you have your fractions like I showed above cancel wherever you can (should be loads of cancelling).

Then, everything goes over N, so everything that isn't in terms of n (e.g. 2x) goes to zero, and anything in terms of N gets divided by N so 2n/n would become 2.

That's it really... Then, convergent is if the value is inside 1 and -1 (e.g. 0, 1/2), and divergent is if the number is outside of 1 and -1 (e.g. 5).

Wow, can't believe I typed all that out..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ladyspud

Thanks Cianclarke ! ;) God I'm dreadin tomorrow!

Not the only one, I need a C3 and I'm headed towards a D3 if I'm lucky...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭DonaldDuck

cianclarke wrote:
    Not the only one, I need a C3 and I'm headed towards a D3 if I'm lucky...
    I wanted a C3 since there was no point in me doing honours if I got less,now I'd be happy with a D2 or 3 :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

DonaldDuck wrote:
    I wanted a C3 since there was no point in me doing honours if I got less,now I'd be happy with a D2 or 3 :mad:
    Same here and if i fail :mad: i'll just take a year out and do the pass paper next june. Not a chance of me repeating. The year out doesn't bother me because i was thinking about doing it anyway and i'm not 18 'til next feb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

I needed a B for points probably but i'd say i'll be lucky to scrape an honour at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

WHAT THE F**K IS THIS (nCr)(x^r) STUFF? Theres a maclaurin series for that? how do u do it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

crap i forgot to learn different equation FCUK!uhh im so failin yuk yuk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

I just did the difference theroem at like 5:45 and it is the easies thing ever!i hope it comes up!woah ive done all i can!good luck!lets get dis feker ova with :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

Difference thoerem, tell me that's not on the first five questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

d4gurl wrote:
    I just did the difference theroem at like 5:45 and it is the easies thing ever!i hope it comes up!woah ive done all i can!good luck!lets get dis feker ova with :p
    Difference equations are a walk in the park alright, if that's what you;re getting freaked out about, I think you'll do good =)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

I'm fcuking dreading this.

Well, that could have been an awful lot worse!!

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

that was tough...especially the probability questions. I think I've blown my A1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

JoseJones wrote:
    that was tough...especially the probability questions. I think I've blown my A1

Me too, needed a close to perfect paper 2. Certainly did not get that.

Advertisement