Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do pro players get SO MUCH time on the ball?

• 10-06-2006 10:40pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Simple question,

how do pro players seem to get so much time on the ball compared to amateur players???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

what do you mean? possession?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Because they have better movement, positioning, awareness and fitness.

If I really knew, I'd be a professional footballer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭ShevY

first touch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

They are professionals they make time on the ball, 1st touch awareness and control. But so is the other guy facing him.

Its why they pros and we not :D

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Thats what commentators mean when they say that a player' seems to have so much time on the ball'. That player has positioned himself in space and has created further space with first touch.

This effect can, however, also be achieved with mirrors

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

a pro's brain process information about his spatial position and that of other around him quicker,he analyse's and processes potential/actual movements and actions much quicker than the amateur plus his physical reflexes/reactions are better

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Superdub2

i know what the thread starter means, everytime you watch an international match or a non premiership game when the midfielders get the ball they are not closed down and they are given time to basically play it but i put it down to the opposition knowing that if they rush them too much they have the ability to play it round them and tire them out where as mere mortals like myself wud make an arse of it and give the ball away, hence they wouldnt give me a second!.......... or thats probably just the way it looks on tv and they are in fact playing at a frantic pace!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Superdub2 wrote:
    i know what the thread starter means, everytime you watch an international match or a non premiership game when the midfielders get the ball they are not closed down and they are given time to basically play it but i put it down to the opposition knowing that if they rush them too much they have the ability to play it eound them and tire them out where as mere mortals like myself wud make an arse of it and give the ball away, hence they wouldnt give me a second!.......... or thats probably just the way it looks on tv and they are in fact playing at a frantic pace!:D

that's about right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

As the last poster said, it looks slow when watching it but they are playing at a high pace. When i was injured for my local team I watched one of the matches on the sideline and it looked like they had loads of time on the ball and it seemed like it was at a real slow pace, but when you play in the match its a lot different mainly because your more nervous and your total awareness is reduced due to the fact you dont have a wide view of the whole pitch and there are players all around....just my thought.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

been away for a few days, thats exactly what i meant, on TV defenders stand off but in amateur soccer i always seem to have 2 players close me down and i cant get time to do anything.

Seems like a good reason for the defence to stand off you if you have ability to go by them should they rush you.

hmmmm... might try waiting for defender to rush in in future instead of meeting him in a headlong sprint chicken style... then at the last instance before he breaks me up, touch the ball to either side of him and move on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

All has been said above but also part of the reason is the difference in skill level. Example, when I played for Rovers in training and in a match if an opposing player had the ball in front of me I'd stand off to a certain extent as if I went in he could easly take it by me and do what he wanted then. Also if I stayed really close to them their first touch could take it by me.

Now I've dropped down leagues and in the UCL the players don't really have that ability so I know I can stick close to players and go straight in on them. Chances are I will win the ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Because in sunday league type football no-matter where you are in the field you get 2 or 3 people closing you down at once and diving in. Plus alot of the pitches in stadiums are bigger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Amateur football is played at a much faster ( and messier ) pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Tusky wrote:
    Amateur football is played at a much faster ( and messier ) pace.

It's definitely not faster!
    Go to a premiership game and watch how fast the ball is moved around the pitch. That was the first thing that struck me about being at a live game, the speed of the players and movement is unreal.
    The movement, positioning and anticipation of pro players is amazing. Also the support. there is always a pass on for a pro player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

It is also down to the fact that the opposition dont feel they have to get the ball immediately. Look at the Italians last night, they allowed Ghana play for the most part, but then when Ghana got into the final 3rd, they were closed down and thwarted.

I noticed this first when looking at Cork City play in the eL vs in Europe. In Europe, they players are allowed more room, whereas in the league the tacking is alot heavier and quicker.

But it is also down to a players awareness on the field. How often do you see a player motion toaward the ball, only to leave it beat him (basically dummys it), then he has the space, whereas if he took it on his foot, there is a player on top of him immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

It's all tactical awareness. Defenders are told to mark in certain styles, man marking, zonal etc. Same with midfield, one will drop deep another will make moves while wingers will do their jobs on the flanks. Junior level football is mostly formations and hoofing the ball to the strikers.
    I was told that first touch is something which must be a priority, first know where you are in relation to other players and opposition around the pitch, call for the ball while having a quick glance and then when the ball is played kill it with a touch and make your move.If you can't kill it with a touch you still know where you can attempt a pass because of that quick look you made before you recieved the ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

In amature football you barely get time to look up, let alone have time to have a second or third touch. For a team it's also harder to maintain posession because there are rarely 11 decent players out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

joe123 wrote:
    When i was injured for my local team I watched one of the matches on the sideline and it looked like they had loads of time on the ball and it seemed like it was at a real slow pace, but when you play in the match its a lot different mainly because your more nervous and your total awareness is reduced due to the fact you dont have a wide view of the whole pitch and there are players all around....just my thought.

I've noticed that effect when watching from the sidelines as opposed to on the pitch too.

A lot of space as has been said is to do with first touch. There are two type of first touch, the control and the tactical one. Most players in sunday league football have a hard enough time controlling the ball as it is so when the ball is played to them their priority is to get it under control and then look up and think what to do. By the time they look up there is a player already on them.

As you go up leagues and to pro level controlling the ball is a given as you have been doing it all your life so rather than worry about getting it under control you use your first touch to put the ball where you want to go next. I.e. I want to spread the play out right so with my first touch I'm going to put the ball out to my right so I can play the pass with my second touch. This gets you time and space on the ball.

I've been doing this with my godson for about 2 years now. He is a striker (12 y/o) and I've been training him on taking a touch but also using it to place the ball where you want to strike it. In the past two years he has scored over 30 a season and is known at his club now as "2 touch".

Get your first touch right and you can look brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭CrazySka

Professional teams play to their positional systems, they dont make as many tackles in positions where there is no danger from the opposition and are more disciplined about their positions,giving the impression that they have a lot of time but in effect they only have time in positions where the oppostion lets them, as everyone else says the skill level is a factor too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

iregk wrote:
    A lot of space as has been said is to do with first touch. There are two type of first touch, the control and the tactical one. Most players in sunday league football have a hard enough time controlling the ball as it is so when the ball is played to them their priority is to get it under control and then look up and think what to do. By the time they look up there is a player already on them.

As you go up leagues and to pro level controlling the ball is a given as you have been doing it all your life so rather than worry about getting it under control you use your first touch to put the ball where you want to go next. I.e. I want to spread the play out right so with my first touch I'm going to put the ball out to my right so I can play the pass with my second touch. This gets you time and space on the ball.

I've been doing this with my godson for about 2 years now. He is a striker (12 y/o) and I've been training him on taking a touch but also using it to place the ball where you want to strike it. In the past two years he has scored over 30 a season and is known at his club now as "2 touch".

Get your first touch right and you can look brilliant.

Fantastic yet simple... any more tips like this for us "amateurs" ???

Morph&#233 wrote: »
    Fantastic yet simple... any more tips like this for us "amateurs" ???

Sorry but I'm not that good!

Advertisement