Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overcharging @ special events

Options
  • 10-06-2006 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if its legal for a shop to put up their prices just because special events are on??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭cabla

Dont see why not

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Of course it is. If you don't like the price then don't buy the goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

They are obliged to have the prices listed, so if they just took down the usual prices, for the even and didnt bother putting up new prices, then they are breaking the law.

The Director of Consumer Affairs can prosecute retail stores for breaches of the European Communities (Requirements to Indicate Product Prices) Regulations 2002.

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

They are obliged to have the prices listed, so if they just took down the usual prices, for the even and didnt bother putting up new prices, then they are breaking the law.

The Director of Consumer Affairs can prosecute retail stores for breaches of the European Communities (Requirements to Indicate Product Prices) Regulations 2002.

X

I thought that a price displayed was an invitation to make an offer at that price and not binding offer by the shopkeeper?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭mel123

well this place defo didnt have prices displayed....is it worth my while making a complaint even tho they prob have prices back to normal now and original prices back??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Shops can charge what they like. You can choose to shop elsewhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭mel123

Ok people, i get the point that i dont have to buy in that shop, that i can shop elsewhere etc etc, only asking a question if its legal thats all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

its very simple

Shop A has a bottle of coke on the shelf at €1.30, below the row of bottles is a sticker that clearly says €1.30.

Unless there is a sign that says equally as clearly then the only price that they can charge you is the one thats clearly displayed. if the charge you anything above the displayed price then they are breaking the law.

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/consumer_affairs/pricing/price_display_of_goods_and_services.html

and

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/consumer_affairs/pricing/pricing_of_goods_and_services.html

Advertisement