Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argh, UTV problem

• 11-06-2006 12:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭

Hi, tried searching for previous threads on this but the new search thingy left me confused.

So, I bought my mum a new esys PC. Spend the day installing everything she needs on it, then bring it over and swap it out for her current machine.

All goes grand until I try and install the modem. Seems to install fine, but just doesn't connect, local area network problem.

From the little info on the UTV site it seems that the zyxel modem can't handle intel 4 processors with hyper threading, nor can it handle VIA chipsets.
    Are there *any* ways around this?

Motherboard is VIA P4M800/478

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

the corpo wrote:
    Hi, tried searching for previous threads on this but the new search thingy left me confused.

So, I bought my mum a new esys PC. Spend the day installing everything she needs on it, then bring it over and swap it out for her current machine.

All goes grand until I try and install the modem. Seems to install fine, but just doesn't connect, local area network problem.

From the little info on the UTV site it seems that the zyxel modem can't handle intel 4 processors with hyper threading, nor can it handle VIA chipsets.
    Are there *any* ways around this?

Motherboard is VIA P4M800/478

Sounds like you either disable hyperthreading or else you need to buy her a new router/modem as well:rolleyes:

From the UTV website:
    I have a Pentium 4 processor with Hyper Threading, are there any compatibility issues with this?

We have identified issues with HT and our Zyxel Router however we now ship a Creative Blaster router which overcomes this issue.

As it stands the Zyxel P630-11 and P630-C1 are currently not compatible with the processor while hyperthreading is enabled but we are currently waiting for updated drivers for the P630-C1 modem that should address this issue. Unfortunately Zyxel are not developing further drivers for the P630-11.

If you are not sure about your processor then we would advise you to contact your PC supplier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

is disabling hyper threading an easy/bad thing to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

the corpo wrote:
    There should be an option in the BIOS to disable it. You can access the BIOS by holding down the "DEL" key or the "F2" key (depending on the computer). When you get in there and make the changes, don't forget to save the changes (pressing F10 normally) before exiting the BIOS.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

the corpo wrote:

If you have not gone near a bios before - be careful - its easy enough to make a change and cause yourself problems. The first time you go into it have a good look around and get to know it a bit before you attempt to change anything - I dont want to worry you too much as you can always go back to the default settings.

What make of pc did you buy? It is often possible to download the motherboard handbook from the net and that will usually give you a good guide to the bios.

i'm reasonably well versed with bios, but sometimes things like that are jumper related and i *hate* bleedin jumper messing. fingers are too clumsy!

thinking a wireless modem upgrade might be a solution, had been wanting to do it for her anyway. UTV are quoting €130 for a BT Voyager 2100 inc usb adapter, and I'm sure they try and tie you down for another year. Any ideas where might be cheaper for one of those?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The For Sale forum here would be a good place to pick up a decent one at a reasonable price. Personally I'd recommend SMC or 3Com kit.. always gave the best wireless signal for me.

buggery damh.
    at her place now, and the feckin' bios has no hyperthreading options.

looks like a new modem so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

the corpo wrote:
    buggery damh.
    at her place now, and the feckin' bios has no hyperthreading options.

looks like a new modem so
    It'd be a better option anyway I think that disabling a very useful system-wide setting just to force compatibility with a modem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Does the modem not have an ethernet port? If it had then that would solve the HT issue.

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=12148

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

No its a P630.
    And as one could see clearly (if they visited the zyxel site) it is a USB only Modem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement