Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snap Caps

Options
  • 11-06-2006 1:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

Em might seem like a dumb question. I know you can get these for shotguns, so as not to damage firing pins etc, but can you get them for rifles too???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭scorphonic

Yeap you sure can. there are many types that I'm sure the guys here will happily answer. It depends on whether or not the gun is centre fire or rim fire. I know for rim there are the plastic snaps that can be used a limited number of times. I'm guessing that the centre fire rifles will have a snap cap much like the shotgun (internal spring etc..)

However, as you already know I guess, snapcaps in my view are bad (in a dangerous/error sense). If you are not careful you may actually have a live round in the gun when you think its the snap cap. Anyways...I'm only stating the obvious there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

scorphonic wrote:
    Yeap you sure can. there are many types that I'm sure the guys here will happily answer. It depends on whether or not the gun is centre fire or rim fire. I know for rim there are the plastic snaps that can be used a limited number of times. I'm guessing that the centre fire rifles will have a snap cap much like the shotgun (internal spring etc..)

However, as you already know I guess, snapcaps in my view are bad (in a dangerous/error sense). If you are not careful you may actually have a live round in the gun when you think its the snap cap. Anyways...I'm only stating the obvious there!!

Yea that seems like a fairly sensible thing to worry about.

newby.204 wrote:
    Yea that seems like a fairly sensible thing to worry about.

The snap caps i use are bright red and plastic, unlike the shotgun ones so they look nothing like a round at all. They were about £7 for 500 in the NSRA shop so they are cheap and handy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I've always liked A-Zoom snap caps-
    http://www.lymanproducts.com/azoom/index.htm

Machined from aluminium, they double up as dummy/training/function testing ammunition, as they'll feed, load, and cycle through the firearm exactly the same as real ammo (without the noise, obviously :rolleyes:).

That's just asking for an accident!!

Put in the snap cap, take the shot and BOOM!! Shot through the skirting board!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

You dont need them for your rifle if its the cz

you can either
    remove the bolt and while its in its open possition hold the bolt and rotate the handle like normal to close it this will take the stress of the firing pin

or with the bolt in the gun in the open postion push it foward hold the trigger in a little bit not fully you should be able to feel it its when the sear disengages the trigger but not when it moves right down to let the bolt out anyway with it pressed in a little bit close the bolt handle and the trigger pin will not be under pressure

to test that the pin is not under stress try putting the saftey on it wont go or you can visually see the postition of the firing pin

also its entirely safe to dry fire the cz if you look the pin does not purtrude the bolt face because the bullet casing sits into the bolt face as opposed to being flush with the barrel face so dont worry about dry firing it

http://www.rimfirecentral.com is a great forum for cz's you'll find that everyone recomends them and theres a tonne of information there on the cz's and will back up all of my info if your worried

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

What are the ones that also oil the gun when you cycle them through called?

Advertisement