Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

little kitten problem....

Options
  • 11-06-2006 1:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

I rehomed a male kitten 1 week ago,at the first few days,he can use the litter tray...but today,I dun no why he suddenly came up to my bed and peel on it...I clean it up by a wet cloth...but this evening,again,he peel on the same place...:( ...
    any way can solve this problem???:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SMK

Sometimes if a cat pees outside the litter box it can be an indication that he might have an urinary tract infection. Because his scent is now on your bed, he will continue to pee on the same spot unless you clean it really good to remove the scent. Depending on the fabric, if you use a citric based cleaner that might work.
    Another reason is his litter box might not be as clean as he likes! Some cats are really fussy about their litter box. For one of my cats, I had to remove all the wet litter each time or else she wouldn't use the tray again.
    How old is the kitten? If he's about six months old, it could be that he's marking his territory and needs to be neutered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

First port of call is to make sure his health is ok.

Clean the area using an enzmye cleaner available from pet shops. Once that is done you need to break the habit by blocking off the are, ie keep him out of the bedroom for a while.

Make sure his litter tray is kept as clean as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Biological washing powder mixed with tapwater, sponge it on the area till wet, and let it air dry.

(Dont use "non-biological" washing powder, wont work).

b

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

agree with all said above - even if you can't smell the pee on your bed after you've cleaned it a cat's sense of smell is so much stronger than a humans so he will return to the same place again. there is a very pleasant smelling cleaner in a yellow bottle in most pet shops for this kind of accident (can't remember the name but it's bright yellow)

where is his litter box? maybe he got caught short the first time. try keeping one in your bedroom also or keeping the door to your bedroom shut.

some cats / kittens will only use their litter tray once & then will not use it again until it is totally cleaned out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Shinners21

We had the same problem with our kitten, he was grand for months and all of a sudden he started weeing on the floor and anywhere but his litter box really! We brought him to the vet and as said in a previous post it was time to have him neutered! We haven't had a problem since we had him done!!
    Hope you get it sorted, it can be such a pain.. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Yeah, males will "spray" urine to mark their territory once they reach sexual maturity until you neuter them. Normally stops once they have the chop tho' ;)

Must admit, after 6 or so years of having cats around, it feels so weird not. I do miss 'em.
    Make sure you dont scold him too much for it, cats are clean animals and I somhow doubt he is just doing it out of boldness. Get a vet to check him over.

b

Advertisement