Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[ST]Damien got French kissed?

Options
  • 11-06-2006 2:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭

To split or not to split, is that the question? Damien puts together some thoughts in todays Sunday Times after the intensive French kissing experience:
    Personal view: An open verdict on splitting Eircom

IN 2001, the consumer lobby group IrelandOffline asked Eircom to create an affordable broadband product for businesses and consumers.
    Five years on, Pierre Danon, Eircom’s chairman, invited us to discuss with him the issues that consumers and businesses face in Ireland when they attempt to get broadband.

Before now, when asked whether the government should split Eircom into wholesale and retail divisions, I said “yes” without hesitation. After meeting Danon, however, my view is changing.

A government or regulator usually threatens to split a telecoms company into wholesale and retail divisions because the company is unwilling to allow competitors fair access to its network.

European Union regulations state that telecoms companies such as Eircom have to give competitors fair access because they have significant market power, mostly because they were state-owned monopolies.

In Ireland, Eircom’s competitors want fair access to the “the last mile” of the network. This is the piece of copper that runs from your house or business to the local exchange. Accessing the last mile is known as local loop unbundling.

At the moment, Eircom has its equipment in the exchange, but competitors can also install their kit, which they connect to your line after compensating Eircom. Unfortunately, there are bottlenecks in the wait to access your line and Eircom has shown it is in no hurry to ease them.

If Eircom had separate wholesale and retail divisions, all telecoms companies, including Eircom Retail, would have the same access rights to the wholesale network. In theory this would speed up broadband roll-out and increase the number of new broadband products.

The split would also prompt Eircom wholesale constantly to improve its network to get more business, which would decrease line failure rates.

However, if the government and ComReg were to carry out a split against Eircom’s wishes, we could expect months, if not years, of appeals. All the while, Eircom’s competitors wouldn’t get the access they wanted and the lack of competition would hurt consumers.

It would be easier, therefore, if Eircom agrees to local loop unbundling and treats competitors with the respect that it shows its retail division. Whether this is done by creating a separate wholesale company or by using the current structure isn’t as important as ensuring the access is fair to all.

This happened in the UK when British Telecom opened its network while remaining as one company. The result is that local loop unbundling has been a huge success there and the broadband market is thriving.

While Britain has turned into a broadband utopia, we are stuck in no man’s land. It is a positive sign, then, that Babcock & Brown — the owner-to-be of Eircom — has brought in Danon as chairman.

He was a senior executive in BT when it changed its attitude to broadband and, after hearing his progressive ideas on where he wants to take Eircom, I suspect splitting the group might not be necessary.

If Eircom were to open up its network, it would save a lot of expense and time. We are already four years behind most of Europe on broadband. We don’t need more delays.

Still, the government and ComReg must have the option of splitting Eircom should the new owners maintain the status quo. Let us hope Danon doesn’t allow that to happen.

Damien Mulley, chairman, IrelandOffline
    P.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭aaronc

We can only hope the sentiments are genuine but I just can't help wondering what I would be saying if I was Eircom's incoming chairman and was under instructions to monopolise the market for as long as I could before a fire sale.

Aaron

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

aaronc wrote:
    We can only hope the sentiments are genuine but I just can't help wondering what I would be saying if I was Eircom's incoming chairman and was under instructions to monopolise the market for as long as I could before a fire sale.

Aaron

Agreed, I was assured by a journalist knowledgeable in this area that Danon intended to announce LLU would be fastracked, as soon as B&B were confirmed, but was muzzled, already!

In fact the situation is worse, they now delay even line changeovers. My son moved house and asked for his (EsatBT) line, with BB, to be moved over. Two weeks later his (new house, line already there from previous owner) handset had a dial tone - but the only number he could call was Eircom sales (1901)!! He asked BT what was happening but was told they weren't (yet) able to give him a date for the transfer because Eircom said they had staff shortages and transfers were taking 'up to a month' to implement!

It is a f*****g scandal but I doubt Dempsey will be able to put new ComReg legislation through before the election.... , if he wanted to, much more important stuff will be on the FF/PD agenda won't there....

Bye, Barry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

A split never made sense really. However everyones expectation of Eircom agreeing to LLU doesn't make sense from a business viewpoint. At the moemnt Eircom makes more revenue for less investment by not agreeing to LLU.
    Anyone who can prove me wrong is more than welcome....

E.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

BarryM wrote:
    a journalist knowledgeable in this area

Haha, great punchline. Where's the joke?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

on a side not i jusr after reading a issue of pc live from late 2004 damien do you remember doing a question and answers thing? they asked heads in eircom,bt,irish broadband,ntl,utv and yourself loads of questions.

course you were the only ones to answer the questions truthfully

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

damien.m wrote:
    Haha, great punchline. Where's the joke?

I appreciate the cynisism but I believe it to be true:o . The problem for most journos in this domain is that editors, etc., don't see the problem. Most editors think it is too technical and they don't hear 'ordinary people' complaining....We have a long way to go. There are a few journalists who have valiently tried to keep the story alive - Ireland Offline has helped by nurturing some of them and feeding them good material.

Bye, Barry

Advertisement