Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Day 3

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I think the quality of each and every team so far has been pretty good. Obviously I haven't seen Angola play yet, but I think its a bit unfair to write them off already. Ecuador were surprisingly good on Friday night against European opposition, and The Ivory Coast weren't to shabby last night either. Besides, Portugal aren't exactly fantastic either. They've got a couple of decent players, but Pauleta up front is pìss-poor in my opinion, and I just don't see them scoring more than one goal. I know they got to the Euro 2004 final, but I'd say home advantage made a big difference.

I could be completely wrong, but I'm gonna predict a shock draw. 1-1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Pigman II wrote:
    Keep that 5/4. Iran are rubbish. I'd say they'll come last in this group.
    I haven't seen Iran play since 2002 but I've read about them before the world cup and they seem a decent side.

Leonardo is proving a surprisingly good pundit so far. The BBC look awfully relaxed compared to the horror show that was Yorath, Pearce, and Okocha last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

ITVs main problem is the chairs.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pp_me129

Thats a second peno!!!!
    stupid ref

Tbh, Marquez had over-run it, and the ball was already out of play. The Mexican pressure is building though. Iran aren't giving enough support to their front men at the moment, and they can't seem to hold the ball up-field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    But the pressing question is... does Zigic have a good touch for a big man? :D

I think an even more pressing question is....can he do the robot dance too ? :D

I think an even more pressing question is....can he do the robot dance too ? :D
    ask him!!!
    im sure he wont kill you:D

Go On My Son
    Get In There

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

That goal is precisely why I think Iran will be last. Entirely a problem of their own making.

theres my other son:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

The treble is looking good...

From the BBC
    1944 BST: Despite Deco's absence with a foot injury, Portugal will be confident of finishing the day level on points with Mexico at the top of Group D. They are the only European team to have played their former colony and have totted up 11 goals in two outings. The tournament average of 2.4 goals-per-game could be on the rise.

11 goals!!!...could be a big win for portugal here! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

Is it true Costinha was the one who injured Deco?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Angola Vs Portugal.

Deco out of the game as his foot problem hasn't cleared up!
    Nightmare for my fantasy footy team.

A match that is filled with political undertones.

Expect heavy tackles and a few Angolans putting themselves about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Is it true Costinha was the one who injured Deco?

Yup in training

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Looking through the Portugal squad there, I don't think there's a team at the World Cup who I'd hate to see win it more than them.

Is that a first at the world cup? To play a country whose squad have twice as many players as you have playing in YOUR national league? :confused::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

That would have been some start to the game! Portugal with a clear chance after 11 seconds. Pauleta dragged it wide.

Pauleta goal after 4 mins.

Great play from Figo. Good luck to you whoever had the 3way accumulator on today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Excellent! Thats me happy moneywise for the day! ;) Great goal too.

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    Excellent! Thats me happy moneywise for the day! ;) Great goal too.
    Well done. I always regret not making these bets. How much did you put on/win?

Hate that Ricardo fella. In a team of playactors he never fails to be the first to play the dying swan.

besty wrote:
    Well done. I always regret not making these bets. How much did you put on/win?
    Only a tenner, win 40. towards covering the ton I put on a 9 game accumulator ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Have angola for the draw, still sticking with it :)

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    Have angola for the draw, still sticking with it :)

kdjac
    Brave man. What do you stand to win if that comes through for you?

35 quid ....have faith its the world cup once they get to half time only 1 down :D

kdjac

Oh lookee lookee World Cup mode setting in :D

Cmon Angolians!!!!!!!!

kdjac

Haha, right on cue too. Ridiculous booking against Ronaldo. Dangerous free kick to Portugal here.

Good game, Angola not out of it...but could be. They need a goal before they get blown away in 2nd half.

kdjac

• Advertisement

Also, as was mentioned, need to change their boots! Keep slipping! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Ronaldo is horrible to watch. He cant just cross a ball, he has to do that stupid one foot around the other flick. If its not that he's givign the ball away. He hasnt done one decent thing in the half. Even not arseign it up woul dbe an improvement

mr_angry wrote:
    Some truely shocking haircuts from the Mexicans though!

Nothing to compare with Loco's for Angola tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

anyone know why flavio isnt playing for angola - is he injured ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Plucky Angola I thought, pity they did'nt bring a striker. What was Big Phil at, thank Goodness he was'nt made England manager! :D

all over, disappointing second half...i thought portugal would get a few more goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Figo was brilliant, very educational to watch.

fade2black wrote:
    Just to let you all know....A treble on the highlighted 3 today will pay 77.54 to the 20.

Boom. Job done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

fade2black wrote:
    Boom. Job done.

if you put the same effort into picking world cup winners as you do horses you could be a wealthy man in weeks.. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

fade2black wrote:
    Boom. Job done.

Cheers mate, €80 better off today...:D

[nicK] wrote:
    if you put the same effort into picking world cup winners as you do horses you could be a wealthy man in weeks.. :)

Yesterday was the first day in a long time that I actually bothered with the horses actually, and it was a pretty profitable one too I must say...To be honest, at this time of the year, I really have very little interest in these 5 meetings a day...twas my first bet in ages yesterday and I won't have another one until Ascot. Take a look at the prices of winners lately, anyone who's getting involved on a daily basis must be sinking heavily into the red at the moment.

now to ponder over today's world cup bets....and quite a tough day it is too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Netherlands controlled the first half and in particular Robben was the biggest threat with his pace. Van Nistelrooy seemed to be off the pace and not match sharp, which is not surprising given his lack of match appearances in the last couple of months at Man Utd. Van Persis did ok.

Sneijder did well, and in the back line Van Bronckhurst continues to astound me with his displays. Robben though, for all his pace at times. is a poor creator, preferring to come in and shoot ala Chelsea's 4-3-3 formation, rather than put in a telling useful cross.

The 2nd half had some good technical football, and I completely disagree with Dunphy's analysis as it being one of the worst games in football history. There have been far far worse. Indeed, the English game the other day was technically worse. But howandever, it was not an enthralling 2nd half as Serbia failed to create very many real chances. They had a couple of half chances, and Nethelands came a couple of times to scoring twice just missing the post.

Netherlands did enough to get all 3 points, so its a step in the right direction, but by no means an electric start. They should reach the quarter finals but beyond that is anyone's guess. Oh, and thats presuming they get out of this group. They next match is key against Ivory Coast who are a good side.

redspider

You should really apply for a sports reporting job...take out your frustrations on that, and maybe get paid for it.

Advertisement