Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish army weapons

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭babybundy

No offence but Wikipedia wouldn't be my first choice for information on the Wing:)
    thats not my only place that i get info from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 MrsRoundy

skink wrote:
    Ok to make this easier, i am only going to name current weapons in use,

Bap 9mm(pistol)
    Steyr AUG 5.56mm(assult rifle)
    FN GPMG 7.62(general prupose machine gun)
    Bren LMG .303(light machine gun in use by rdf only)
    Browning .5 hmg(heavy machine gun)
    Accuracy international sniper rifles, two calibres, 1 .5 and one 7.62 or something similar, i am 100% sure on it.
    81mm long barrel mortar
    vektor 60mm mortar
    120mm mortar(not sure on what is happening here, possibly up for a change soon enough)
    carl gustav 84mm recoiless rifle(explained already)also hagar, the sight system is very good on it, and you know the saying if it ain't broke don't fix it!
    sraaw(short range anti armour weapon, disposable)
    underslung m203 grenade launcher for the steyr
    L119 and L118 105mm howitzers(artillery)
    25pdr field gun(artillery)
    El 70(anti aircraft)
    RBS 70 SAM (anti aircraft)
    Javelin(anti tank)

then if you want to go into fighting vehicles
    Scoprian cvrt
    Aml 20
    Aml 90
    and the mowags

i have probably left out a few things, did not include any weapons used by the arw, as in use by willie o'dea in that infamous photo, alot fo the stuff is old but still useable and still effective.
    To anyone interested
    Ref. the FN 7.62 and the Bren they are not in use anymore and even the reserves are now using the Steyr and GPMG. Any other Questions ref Irish Army and Id be glad to answer what I can as a serving member.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

mrsmurphy wrote:
    To anyone interested
    Ref. the FN 7.62 and the Bren they are not in use anymore and even the reserves are now using the Steyr and GPMG. Any other Questions ref Irish Army and Id be glad to answer what I can as a serving member.:eek:

You sure about that Bren service as we used it not that long ago on the Range. FN is gone a few years now, Pity i miss her..:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 MrsRoundy

Steyr wrote:
    You sure about that Bren service as we used it not that long ago on the Range. FN is gone a few years now, Pity i miss her..:(
    Maybe some units are still using them not entirely sure about that havent seen one around in a while though. I agree about the FN I was very fond of firing it myself back in the day when i was in the reserves myself. One thing is for sure though the Steyr is definately lighter to carry around when your on exercise.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Pyridine

mrsmurphy:the Steyr is definately lighter to carry around when your on exercise.

It's also a little easier on the shoulder....I remember the bruises after the practice range for the All-Army falling plates with the FN back in the day!! Best thing you could do in the FCA, but boy did you feel it the next day....especially if the person using it before hand hadn't bothered cleaning it properly and left the gas vents clogged!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Steyr wrote:

I don't...

http://www.clubi.ie/exalted/images/army/Ireland/FAL2.JPG

:P

NTM

Advertisement