Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway lan Reviews

• 11-06-2006 12:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭

Well its the Sunday? What did you think?
    Was the lan too long? ( a good fistful of ppl had other commitments, and some got a bit too tired, and some perhaps got annoyed... I don't know )
    Was the tournaments good when you played in them? (I understand some of them were terribly slow to kick off)
    This is my last event to admin, next time I will be just an attendee :D

Good, bad or indifferent, I'd like to hear. Be constructive with critism, and praise where praise may be due.
    Dementor, Tar and Quetzal, u all suck - Buzz!

Oh, did anyone wander upstairs to play consoles?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Grand'aul lan. Bit disorganised as always but sure that's the reputation Galwaylan has got at this stage. Not a bad one though, the emphasis on fun rather than competitiveness...

Cheers to the admins for going in early on the friday and for keeping it running smoothly throughout, sorry to hear that Sniipe, I'm sure you'll be sorely missed..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Good lan.
    Cheers for running it.
    Pity we had to leave early though.
    Im enjoying my prize immensly.
    :)
    spanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Robert

Good lan seems a bit too long but a friday start is good maby finish on Sundayb morning.

Over all it was good fun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

yeah it was a good lan besides not doing as much leechage as I would've liked, and having to figure out that Battlefield2 connects to server via a wrong IP for nearly half a day :(

P.S in my defense, it was 3 in the morning, and my brain was switched off :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

sounds like some people just aren't as hardcore as they thought they were.

qq more please, i need more nerd tears for my machine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

vodka & chocolate milk ftw. That is all :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Great lan, lack of cripple support tho.
    Some great games of BF2, especially that sniper round we had, and the death buggies of Allah.
    Couple of games of Warsow and Q3 inbetween were most enjoyable.
    Lots of beer aswell which is always good :D
    Having a room was possibly the best idea ever for the lan.
    Thanks to the Galwaylan admin team for putting up a good show and keeping the beer flowing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭pyrogenx

Caliden wrote:
    sounds like some people just aren't as hardcore as they thought they were.

Some of us have to work to earn money! ;)

Good Lan though, CSS tourni was the best ever. The only thing i didn't like about it was the amount of bf2 been played. I like varity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

PPC wrote:
    Great lan, lack of cripple support tho.
    Lmao :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Robert wrote:
    Good lan seems a bit too long but a friday start is good maby finish on Sundayb morning.

Over all it was good fun

How is it too long? This was a short lan by our standards. We used to run them on Bank holiday weekends from Friday afternoon to Monday night.

I was a wee bit miffed that some people headed off home early - lightweights. Not to mention it screws up tournaments.
    We're considering limiting future tournaments to a max to be specified later.
    There are simply too many games going on. Might try and get a bit more RTS in aswell.

Once the initial server panic of Friday night was assuaged by the blood, tears and lactation of the admins things rolled nicely. People need to be made more aware of the Intranet site, it's invaluable.

If people enjoyed it, it proves that a decent sized lan can be good fun without sponsorship.

AND WE HAD NO POWERCUTS!

• Advertisement

pyrogenx wrote:
    Some of us have to work to earn money! ;)

Good Lan though, CSS tourni was the best ever. The only thing i didn't like about it was the amount of bf2 been played. I like varity.

There was QuakeWorld, Quake3, UT, CS, Rocketcrowbar, Warcraft3, Warsow, Dawn of War, console games etc.

I was planning to have an irc server up at this lan again, had one before but the config got wiped after a disk failure. Very few people seemed to use the Teamspeak server.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Lan twas alright.

Got some nice games of UT2004 in and shock horror I enjoyed the CS:S tournament (I swore at the last lan I was at I would never play it again)

Shame the comps did not run more smoothly. Sniipe made a superhuman attempt but he is only 1 man. Problem was the constant delays of all the tournaments would constantly interrupt other games I was playing with other people dropping out to join non exsistent comp games.

Had my own problems with BF2 after patching it up to 1.3. Would not run and could not reinstall it. Otherwise would of entered the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Legion

First Galway LAN for me and it was class,highlights for me were PPC getting the old man Grrrrrrrr nailed down in town ( you had to be there ) , handing bio his arse at Q3....again :p oh include warsow in there as well , BF2 sniper match, Doodee....er.... how shall we say " falling down" never seen anything like that before :) , the hotel room for the weekend much needed for us oldies.

Syx,Doodee,Asok,Sniipe.. plyd lads plyd I shall be back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

Good lan.
    Nothing more to add other then whats been said above so here it is again.
    Bad:
    People popped off early.
    People dropping out of games to play in tournament to find its not been setup yet, sever incorrectly configured or person has left.Very frustrating.
    Didn't know about console games(my own fault for not checking out admin room)

Good:
    Some fun gaming.
    Nice divides on the rooms
    Nice selection of games not vast but enough of what i wanted.(actually no ET or Farcry I should have been a little bit more proactive for them)
    Specified time periods of Internet access(Very handy)
    Plenty of pizza.
    Beer
    I finally won a competition at a Galawy lan :D

The server config issues are my fault. That is being rectified. I simply don't play half the games ye do, so I'm less than familiar with the peculiarities of the game.
    That, and Valve don't seem to care about lan parties, or those who don't live in areas served by broadband (most of the world). Having to have someone spectate a CSS match just to record scores is a fscking joke.

As for variety in the games - no-one was stopping anyone playing whatever they like, however, we simply cannot run tournaments for every game people want to play. I for one was a bit miffed that we had to run both a Q3 and QW tourny, when we should've just ran OpFlash instead.
    In future, I think we'll just run a max of 3 big tournaments. The games will vary between lans. You either play in the tournies you want to enter, or hop on a server for your game of choice.
    Trying to get even a 3rd of the lan all playing the one game, nevermind on the one server, is akin to herding cats through a burning field of corn. This is mainly why smaller lans are better craic.

I had a trawl of the net about a year ago to look for some sort of all-game LAN server browser - essentially ASE but without the ghey. If someone knows of something, let me know - besides HLSW, itdoesn't seem to support many new games any time I've checked.

Thanks for the constructive criticism. We got caught on the hop Friday evening as there was an unending stream of "yet another 5minute task" that would inevitably spiral to 15minutes - all the while people proffering more things to do like ferrero rocher at the ambassadors reception.
    I'd really like to have the time to actually play through a Dawn of War tournament, but the majority of gamers in Ireland are just fps heads.

maybe if we'd tatoo'd http://192.168.1.5/ to people's forearms things would've run smoother ;)

SyxPak wrote:
    maybe if we'd tatoo'd http://192.168.1.5/ to people's forearms things would've run smoother ;)
    hehe, deffo won't be tatooing 192.168.1.6 to them :D Perhaps 2 windows servers would be eaiser ... ohhh digg!

that said, I was actually very very impressed at the load that 192.168.1.5 could handle without lag. Pld JP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Sniipe wrote:
    that said, I was actually very very impressed at the load that 192.168.1.5 could handle without lag. Pld JP.
    and Danny,

it was a combined effort.

as for the competition stuff, meh, there was not much we could do about it.
    Stewie was running and configed perfectly, We were running *Official* Steam versions of games, so if people could not connect im afraid your steam needs to be looked at/paid for.

As regards the internet, there was a huge amount of non steam related traffic on the saturday (both morning and day) which im going to look into, the connection was provided for steam authentication and small amounts of browsing but some people seemed to be using it for other stuff which is not on.
    Also major thanks to Oskar. Your help was muchly appreciated :D

As syxpak said, scraping all the tournies is going to happen. having only 3 or 4 main ones spread over 2 days is going to be the option for the next lan.
    Having the saturday tournies entered on the intranet site, servers configured properly, patches available on the intranet site, internet site and on multiple ftps, there was still apparent problems.

Congrats to the marathon winner, i hope you enjoy the prize. and congrats to all the other competition winners.
    Quetz and Neo, Your gonna be eating rockets at the next one on a proper pro-dm6 map :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Good fun. Sorry I had to leave during the QW tournament. I had made plans for the night based on the fact it was due to start earlier.
    Im not bothered I didnt claim my rightful crown by handing Quetz his privates in a little jar, but I just hope it didnt upset others anticipating my certain decimation of the much reviled Quetzal.

Actually I couldn't not get over how 1337 danny was at the server haxx's. I had a great game with arganite in the q3 comp. I was a bit unprepared, but so to were quetzal and neo, but they just had the natural ability.
    Another shocker for me was vega and timeout. I could not believe how good both of these players were. Both were way above par in the CS and UT2k4 comps. pld lads.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Sniipe wrote:
    Dementor, Tar and Quetzal, u all suck - Buzz!
    Next time I give no answers! :P

P.S in my defense, it was 3 in the morning, and my brain was switched off
    What's that neoslicerz, I am smrt, much smrter than you, neoooo! :D

Twas much fun, I would like if people stay awake at night, me sitting there having to go online to find hardkore people.
    Sleep in shifts people!

Well done to sniipe, superhuman organiser with speed and stamina hax.
    I was annoyed we didn't win cs though, next time.

Happy I won warcraft, don't care about prizes as long as there is a comp. I would personally train everybody that wants to play if there was to be a comp held, however some people can't be saved(Doodee). Seems he's all looks and no aim.

G'night, great time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

rofl,

IT WASN'T MY FAULT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

Excelsior!

Well played all, I had a great weekend. Despite my PC taking a family-sized **** with CS, that was a rather amusing game. Having the Xbox set up upstairs with the couch was a fantastic idea, and the dancemats were a nice touch ;)

I really enjoyed the qw tourney despite choosing a rather silly map to play a die-hard CAer on, the rushed q3 was great. I wish I had played more q3 in general actually.

While I think there's an odd division between the rooms, being upstairs was an absolute godsend, with the couch (even if I didn't get to sleep on it), the windows (OH GOD THE WINDOWS), the xbox and enjoyable company. Even if some distubring secrets about my genital-related activities came to light.

Just as a matter of interest, when did people due to play in a tournament show up on Saturday morning?

Does no-one sleep at their keyboards anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

I left at 3/4 on both Friday and saturday night and was back at my seat at 10/11 the next morning!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Sleep if for the weak, or for the tired, mostly the tired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

CA is on DM3 Nosmo. All the rest are just pants to me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Not even androm9?

This tshirt would suit you.
    @paladin, because quetz is a whore and posted before me.
    429bgNavy.jpg
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

Pah! He wouldn't know a level 12 paladin from his anus. Also, his boobies are much smaller than that.

Advertisement