Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euphemisms and Obfuscations

• 11-06-2006 12:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭

Some highlights from Butterflies and Wheels -

Faith-based
    In political rhetoric (mostly US but insinuating itself in other Anglophone countries too), the preferred adjective for religious institutions and organizations receiving government funding for various educational and social endeavours. 'Faith-based' is preferable to 'religious' because it sounds more folksy, homey, shirtsleevey, rocking chair on the porchy, and because the word 'religious' would make the mingling of church and state too obvious.

Offended
    Something no one must ever be. We all have a duty to prevent the very possibility.

Religion
    An alternative form of science or inquiry, which is enabled to produce better - deeper, more profound, more meaningful - results because it is not required to produce evidence or observe the rules of logic.

http://www.butterfliesandwheels.com/euphemisms.php

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Religion
    An alternative form of science or inquiry, which is enabled to produce better - deeper, more profound, more meaningful - results because it is not required to produce evidence or observe the rules of logic.

rofl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

pH wrote:
    Religion

I don't get it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

pray on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Mordeth wrote:
    rofl.
    :)
    bus77 wrote:
    I don't get it.
    That's OK! it's not compulsory to find everything funny, I wouldn't fret about it if I were you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Intelligent design?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Intelligent design?

Yes please...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 HealingBlight

bus77 wrote:
    I don't get it.

You don't get religion? Then I guess you are posting in the right forum. :)

Advertisement