Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths paper 2 question

• 11-06-2006 1:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Does anyone think theres any way that either one of the 2 circle theorems that came up last year could come up again? Because the proofs of them in my maths book are terrible and I'm not really bothered learning them...like I think it will be pythagoras and the parallelogram ones. Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I'mhaving so much trouble with remembering the theorems,I think I will be failing maths.I'm just trying to learn pythagoras,because a lot of people say that will come up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

#Elites wrote:
    40 marks for the 2 theormens

so thats 13% of your paper 2 exam, or 6% of the whole exam, so its still possible to get an A if you dont do the Theorems!
    that's true!I really should be going over my maths now :l
    paper 1 went ok,but paper 2 is where all the iffy stuff is for me!
    *is off to try and study*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Its only 30 marks.The 1st Theorem is 10 and the larger is worth 20.Overall,5% of the exam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

I pretty much know all the theorems...even Pythagoras'.
    I'm not even gonna bother learning the ''if two triangles are equangular then blah blah blah......'' cos I doubt anything from the past three years will be asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭BMH

Yeah, I'm familiar enough with the theorems, I just try and remember the diagrams and constuctions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭disney

Can sum1 please tell me if we need to know the one about the tangent

"If a line passes through a point t on a circle and is prependicular to the diametre at t, then the line is a tangent to the cirle t."

Its in the book, but my teacher didnt do it

Its NOT in the revision book!

Please help!!!;)

I've never even heard of that theorem so I doubt it'll come up.

It's more of a deduction AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Sipefree

Our maths teacher said that she is 99% certain that Pythagorus' Theorem (the proof, obviously) will come up.

We'll see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Does anyone have a shorter version of theorem 5 ? It's one of the parallelogram ones. I have it in the Concise Maths book, but it's long and drawn out. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭kwiva-g

Our maths teacher gave us a top 5 list of theorems that he thinks are most likely to come up: 1. 3 angles in a triangle=180º;
    2. If 2 triangles are equiangular, the lengths of the corresponding sides are proportional;
    3. Diagonals of parallelograms bisect eachother;
    and all the way down at number 4. Pythagoras's theorem!!!
    S**te!!! I'm off to study!!

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Nanaki

in my school any maths teacher that has been asked has said that they will not repeat the theorems as long as there are ones that haven't been asked yet.
    So that leaves 1,2,5 and 10(Pyth.)
    I'm going to learn 5 and 10

You could also argue that they don't want to make it predictable though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

I'd be found on the desk passed out with relief...

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Nanaki

I'll admit here and now I only know 1 and 2.
    But I do know most of the diagrams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 stargirl

thanks everyone, im so screwed for paper 2 :( did really good on paper 1 though so im hoping ill do ok.and geography too, what a **** day?!

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭HQvhs

i only know the theorems by their names and i can't find a list of numbers anywhere so can someone please post a list of theorems in their number order please so i can check off the ones i know. its all confundling...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

A theorem very similar to theorem two came up last year so it's unlikely that 2 will come up. I'm really really hoping Pythagoras' theorem comes up.

stargirl wrote:
    and geography too, what a **** day?!

Ahh Geography's easy.

thats what i thought, i came either 1st r 2nd in my class for all my lik summer n chrimbo exams n then i gt a c in the mox :( like i didn't study but havn't studied for 2mo either. teacher said she marked hard but i dunno...stress of it all! can't wait 4 it to be over!!

• Advertisement

No txt spk plzthksdie.

ha didn't even realise i was doing it, have to concentrate when i'm typing. But if it bothers you just don't reply.

Well it's one of the forum rules that text speak is banned, just trying to warn you so you don't get banned :)

ok thanks, guess i misunderstood the 'die' part of your last message then yeah? ha :)

It's just a pun on the way txters so kthxbai

i dont understand that last bit...is text speak different in galway?:rolleyes:

Of course, those crazy Galwegians have their own wacky dialect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

What are the names of theorems 1,2 and 5?

I really don't have a clue about the numbers of them so I just need the names of them so I know which ones to go over. Some one please help. :o

I'm really confused...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

Some some one please answer me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

1.Vertically Opposite Angles Are Equal In Measure.
    2.The measure of 3 angles of a triangle equal 180.
    5.Opposite sides and angles of a //ogram are equal in measure.

Early to be up I know,but I'm sick:(

Advertisement