Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will PS2 games from UAE work here in Ireland?

Options
  • 11-06-2006 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭

As the title says, will PS2 games from UAE work here in Ireland?

My sister is over there at the mo. She says that it does say PAL on the back of the game box.
    Is there anything else she needs to check?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

The_Edge wrote:
    As the title says, will PS2 games from UAE work here in Ireland?

My sister is over there at the mo. She says that it does say PAL on the back of the game box.
    Is there anything else she needs to check?

Cheers

Hmm... get a copy of swap magic to to sure. You can get then online, or in hmv.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Am I right in thinking that there's no region codes on the games like DVDs?

Only PAL & NTSC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

The_Edge wrote:
    Am I right in thinking that there's no region codes on the games like DVDs?

Only PAL & NTSC?

There is region encoding - Japanese and American NTSC games aren't compatible with eachother. In the case of PAL though I'm not sure, I seem to remember there being some game a lot of people imported from Australia because they're PAL and it hadn't been released here a while back, not at all certain though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Make sure they arent copies in really well done casing. Discs should not be silver on read side.

kdjac

Ah, found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_2
    Software for all PlayStation consoles contains one of four region codes: for Japan and Asia: NTSC/J, North America: NTSC-U/C, Europe and Oceania: PAL, and China: NTSC/C[1].

UAE is in the Asia region. So I'm guessing she'll be out of luck unless she gets a mod chip or swap magic thingy then.

Cheers lads.

• Advertisement

KdjaC wrote:
    Make sure they arent copies in really well done casing. Discs should not be silver on read side.

kdjac

They're the real deal alright. I told her not to bother with them though.
    Bloody region codes :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Australian PAL works on European systems

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

The_Edge wrote:
    They're the real deal alright. I told her not to bother with them though.
    Bloody region codes :mad:

Swap magic is like, €25 man.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

The_Edge wrote:

If it says PAL, take KdjaC's advice and it should be fine.
    The_Edge wrote:
    UAE is in the Asia region. So I'm guessing she'll be out of luck unless she gets a mod chip or swap magic thingy then.

According to this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL Japan is about the only place in Asia that doenst use PAL.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I'd say UAE would come under europe, europe and the middle east are lumped together (EMEA) for most things like this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement