Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riddles?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

komodosp wrote:
    Where should Mr. White shoot first? (assuming that a hit = a kill)
    Himself?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

komodosp wrote:
    Here's one:

Approximately, what is the probability that the next person you'll meet has more than the average number of hands? Assuming it's a random person.
    about 99%...
    the average number of hands must be <2 so it's very likely that someone you meet would have 2.0 hands.

komodosp wrote:
    There are three men, Mr. Black, Mr. Gray and Mr. White, in a three way duel with pistols. The rules are as follows: Each man takes one shot in turn, and this continues until there is one man man left alive whereupon he's declared the winner.

Mr. White is a poor shot, he usually only hits 1/3rd of the time.
    Mr. Gray is an OK shot, he hits about 2/3rds of the time
    Mr. Black is an excellent shot, he never misses.
    To make it fair, they agree that Mr. White can go first, then Mr. Gray, then Mr. Black

Where should Mr. White shoot first? (assuming that a hit = a kill)
    up in the air... to kill Mr Gray would be a disaster, killing Mr Black isn't too helpful either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Mr. Black. If he misses then Gray will shoot Mr. Black most likely as otherwise he'd only have a 50:50 chance of surviving. If Gray misses as well Black will shoot Gray as he has the best chance of hitting him.
    If he hits then White still has a 33% chance of another shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Zero I would think, unless it's a trick question:p

Total number of people with >2 hands / Population

=~0/~6,000,000,000 (approx) which is zero whatever way you look at it, or am I missing somthing?

No, Joe Ballantine had it right because...
    the average number of hands is slightly less than 2 (since some people have less than 2 hands)
    And of course it's a trick question, it wouldn't be in the Riddles forum otherwise! :P

• Advertisement

Macros42 wrote:
    Mr. Black. If he misses then Gray will shoot Mr. Black most likely as otherwise he'd only have a 50:50 chance of surviving. If Gray misses as well Black will shoot Gray as he has the best chance of hitting him.
    If he hits then White still has a 33% chance of another shot.

Hmmm.. I've been trying to think about this as at first I thought the answer was obvious but I'm open to correction by people good at calculating probabiliites... (as some others have answered)
    If he shoots in the air, he can reduce his opponents to 1 and have the next shot.

Mr. Gray will surely shoot Mr. Black as not to do so would mean his own death. If Mr. Gray hits, Mr. White has the next shot. If Mr. Gray misses then Mr. Black will surely shoot Mr. Gray and definitely kill since Mr. Gray is the biggest threat. Mr. White has the next shot.

However, if he shoots Mr. Black and kills then Mr. Gray has the next shot and it will definitely be at him.

So some of the probabilities are...
    If he shoots at Mr. Black he has a 7/9 chance of surviving to the 2nd round, with a 2/9 chance of having to face Mr. Black, and if that happens, he must hit (1/3) to win.

whereas if shoots in the air he will definitely survive to the 2nd round, but have a 3/9 chance of having to face Mr. Black.

But I have no idea how to figure out the odds of him beating Mr. Gray (where they keep shooting until one of them hits)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 ballsofire23

I'm a card and i call you to make me in time. I'm not generous, I don't have money in me. I can cause you problems, but if sent down the line at the wrong time, someone else received me and can say, I'll call the car loan instead of the post moan.

A credit card. Online fraud with credit cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

?

what????

It's a riddle, and I gave you the answer. It's hard to make sense of, no. The riddle contained clues, car loan, post moan(postmater), down the line. Make me in time-has 2 meaning it could be a christmas card or a credit card bill(before interest starts)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

strangely found it very difficult to read?

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    ?

what????
    Judgding by that, I'd assume 4 question marks are showing you're total confusion for puzzles. :p
    Blitz, I'm part German are you?
    Maybe if I placed it in German lol, I would be easier?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Dan-O

In 1982 an individual is 23 years old. In 1989 this individual is 16 years old. How is this possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Are they 1982 and 1989 BC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 paddysmith

A hunter sets up his camp. He walks five miles due south then stops for his lunch. He walks three miles due west at which point he shoots a bear. He then walks the five miles due north which brings him back to his camp. What color was the bear?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Cardinal Blue

1.What comes next in this sequence?

2.Feed me and I Live
    Give me Drink and I Die

What Am I?

3.What cheese is made backwards?

4.Which does not belong in this group:
    Apple, Grape, Banana, Cherry, Pear

If you want to know the answers ,sent me a pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Cardinal Blue

A Panda Bear walked into a resturant. He sat down at a table and ordered some food. When he was finished eating, he took out a gun and shot his waiter. He then left the resturant. After the police caught up with him, they asked him why he had killed the waiter. He replied, "Look me up in the dictionary." What did the dictionary say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

2.Feed me and I Live
    Give me Drink and I Die

What Am I?

If you want to know the answers ,sent me a pm.
    1. 18
    2. Not sure about this one
    3. Edam
    4. Banana (no seeds)
    A Panda Bear walked into a resturant. He sat down at a table and ordered some food. When he was finished eating, he took out a gun and shot his waiter. He then left the resturant. After the police caught up with him, they asked him why he had killed the waiter. He replied, "Look me up in the dictionary." What did the dictionary say?
    Eats shoots and leaves

2.Feed me and I Live
    Give me Drink and I Die

1. 18 - sum of the previous two numbers
    2. Fire
    3. Edam
    4. Guessing banana - seeds?

paddysmith wrote: »
    A hunter sets up his camp. He walks five miles due south then stops for his lunch. He walks three miles due west at which point he shoots a bear. He then walks the five miles due north which brings him back to his camp. What color was the bear?:D
    White

• Advertisement

Dan-O wrote: »
    In 1982 an individual is 23 years old. In 1989 this individual is 16 years old. How is this possible?
    Is it the kid from the Terminator movies?.. In the first movie one of the actors was 23?, and in the later movie.. the kid was only 16.. this doesn't work actually.. it must be the BC thing. Or maybe there's two books somewhere, 1982 and 1989,...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

paddysmith wrote: »
    I like this one, except for the bear being shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Kieo

The man who makes it doesn't want it. The man who wants it doesn't use it. The man who's using it doesn't know he is using it.

How do you fit ten horses into 9 boxes only putting one in each box?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 silverY

2.Feed me and I Live
    Give me Drink and I Die

What Am I?

1. 18 , 2. fire , 3. edam , 4. babana- only one that has to be peeled before eating.

The man who makes it doesn't want it. The man who wants it doesn't use it. The man who's using it doesn't know he is using it.
    a coffin.

A doctor and a bus driver are both in love with the same woman, an attractive girl named Michelle. The bus driver had to go on a long bus trip that would last a week. Before he left, he gave Michelle seven apples. Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭jhn_noln

an apple a day keeps the doctor away!!!!:P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

silverY wrote: »
    A doctor and a bus driver are both in love with the same woman, an attractive girl named Michelle. The bus driver had to go on a long bus trip that would last a week. Before he left, he gave Michelle seven apples. Why?
    An apple a day keeps the doctor away.
    an attractive girl named Michelle

You're making me blush :o:pac:

[t] [e] [n] [h] [o] [r] [e] :eek:

• Advertisement

jhn_noln wrote: »
    an apple a day keeps the doctor away!!!!:P:P

Well done :D

Advertisement