Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Mocks vs. The Real Thing

Options
  • 11-06-2006 3:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

I don't know if this is a rumour or not and i've heard it over and over again since the mocks but are the mocks marked harder than the real thing??? I've always wondered!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭helles belles

no;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

There not marked harder but theyre usually marked by college students for poor pay so they are marked quckly and without care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 ballyarse

WHAT????? college students marking mocks?????..........:confused: our teachers correct ours :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

yip college students @ €1 per script.

they are marked harder also. you go up 15% in the real thing according to statistics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭helles belles

well if it makes u feel any better, i failed my chem mock last year and ended up getting a b in my leaving cert?
    but then again i worked my ass of after the mocks last year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 chairs

yeah i don't think it's that they are marked harder, you go up a lot because you've had two months extra to finish courses and study.
    That said the marking sometimes is terribly inaccurate, people correcting it just youngsters looking for money for holidays etc. Leaving cert proper has rechecks and all that so you're bound to do better overall

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

There marked easier tbh. College student who corrected mine gave me full marks for my laughable attempt at the photosynthesis eqaution. It was so terrible, I might have well wrote "50cent+2HObie trice =light+green leaves+co2+c6 h12+o6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

Our teacher corrected ours and they said they marked them harder but I dont really think they did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

The quality of marking varies hugely. My history paper was marked really well for example, with the examiner even writing in helpful suggestion on how to improve, whereas my english paper was woefully marked with just random ticks and an overall marks. I don't think you can read anything into the marks you get in the mocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭YeAh!

There is absolutely no point in taking any marks you get in your mocks seriously!! They mean NOTHING!! and you're always going to do differently in the real thing depending on if questions go your way etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't. Some of the time the questions on the mocks are harder or more complex or more obscure than what actually comes up on the papers, sometimes not. Sometimes they are marked deliberately tough so you'll work harder, but if you get a lazy marker - which can happen in the real thing, too, but at least then you have the option of rechecks - some things are let slide.

People *tend* to do better, but it's for all kinds of reasons - having finished the course, having had more time to study, having learned how to deal with the time pressure or knowing exactly what the examiners are looking for. The worst thing you can do is assume you'll be fine just because the mocks went okay - people do drop down grades, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Anyone can correct the mock papers, you could if you wanted to. When you apply your not asked for ID or anything, thats what our Physics teacher told us.
    Our Irish paper apparently was corrected to easy, our Maths was corrected to harshly, music is correctly fairly, English was harsh, History was dead on. This is all according to our teachers.

Also with the real thing, your paper could be corrected by 2 or 3 people..

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Glazun

I dont think its so much easier, as your more prepared for the real thing..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

smemon wrote:
    yip college students @ €1 per script.

Really? How do I apply?!

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

they dont mark harder, they dont give any attempt marks, ie.all right or wrong

Advertisement