Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Rig

Options
  • 11-06-2006 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭

Lads I know what I'm at in relation to building a pc, what I need is a bit of advice of parts and what you recommend (the parts you recommend is the crucial point). I have about 2k to spend on this. Help me out. I would be interested in overclocking. I am willing to get into anything. Cheers. Please don't tell me that I'm lazy. I want advice from guys that have already done this (overclocking especially).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

There are a lot of threads on this sort of thing, these guys are probably getting tired of tpying the same thing 10 times :o , or maybe not...

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Well whatever you do get a DFI motherboard :)

They are THE best overclocking motherboard.

Unfortunately, this is the worst time ever to make a decision about what socket to go with......

Intel are releasing the Conroe in a few weeks and although it will be brilliant, Dell and HP will get them all and there will be very few available and they will be a lotr more expensive than the estimates we saw........

AM2 is currently out, but not a lot of motherboards are avialable yet........

It gives the best performance available right now, and will be compatable with K8l (AMD's answer to Conroe) in a few months.......

I would be more inclined to go the AMD route as they are going 65nm soon and they should be able to scale up clock speeds a lot, also they will become very aggresively priced when conroe is released, and K8L will more than likely beat conroe as AMD will have a few months to see what Conroe performs like...........

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Conzy...reliable as always and I am looking at AM2.

Endurance Man...I knew there was threads like this but I want it to be personalised to me. You know what I mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Phase cooling tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

DFI are overrated and over priced for what you get in the box. You simply MUST buy the new generation Raptors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

DFI are overrated and over priced for what you get in the box. You simply MUST buy the new generation Raptors.

Did you not sell some raptors here earlier in the year? Or is my mind gone mad. I think I might have a look at phase cooling!

I've sold six Raptors so far this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

wow whats with raptors i have a 32gb 1 and i dont find it that good :SAD

Erm......

I think the €40 premium is worth it:)

Would you rather pay €140 for THE best overclocking motherboard on the market with the most BIOS options.....

Or would you rather save €40 and get a ASUS that cant even supply stable voltage to a Dual core Processer? and has only the most basic Overclocking options and Vcore capped at 1.55v ??

When you are paying €2000 for a system, I think an extra €40 to have a decent motherboard is worth it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

where is the dfi available for 140?

• Advertisement

awhir wrote:
    wow whats with raptors i have a 32gb 1 and i dont find it that good :SAD

I sold two to Savemejebus ;) to pay for four new drives with the FLC0 firmware. Upon seeing my bank statement i sold two :o

I sold another two to pay for my new drives with 16MB cache and 00NLR1 firmware ;)

It's all about the firmware! :D

where is the dfi available for 140?

Komplett

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

ah, i thought you meant the sli-d :)

ah, i thought you meant the sli-d :)

Nope, you're the first person to mention SLI :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

conzymaher wrote:
    Or would you rather save €40 and get a ASUS that cant even supply stable voltage to a Dual core Processer? and has only the most basic Overclocking options and Vcore capped at 1.55v ??

Eh? Don't know which mobo you got, but that's a load of balls!
    Well granted the oc'ing options may be a small bit on the shy side, but there's still enough options to get the job done. And I can up my Vcore beyond 1.55v...:confused:

Put it this way - if you want a passively cooled, rock solid and excellent performer, then go for the Asus.

But if you want a mobo that's cooled by a 4000rpm fan, has been known to fry CPUs and has its forums full of "ffs! it's dead!" threads, then by all means go for a DFI. :p:D

Teacozy has shares in DFI!

hehe!

Spike wrote:
    Eh? Don't know which mobo you got, but that's a load of balls!
    Well granted the oc'ing options may be a small bit on the shy side, but there's still enough options to get the job done. And I can up my Vcore beyond 1.55v...:confused:

Put it this way - if you want a passively cooled, rock solid and excellent performer, then go for the Asus.

But if you want a mobo that's cooled by a 4000rpm fan, has been known to fry CPUs and has its forums full of "ffs! it's dead!" threads, then by all means go for a DFI. :p:D

I admit that DFI boards have crappy chipset coolers, but thats because its an enthusiast board and they expect you to change it.........

And only the expensive ASUS boards have passive cooling, the A8N-e which is ASUS's answer to the ULTRA-d has a crappy chipset cooler, the vcore is limited to 1.55vcore and it haas very basic ocing options.........

And Wizzard or someone had trouble getting a Dual core CPU stable in a ASUS SLI Deluxe...........

ASUS are good boards, but not for serious overclocking.......

And just google "ASUS voltage fluctuation" to see how many problems ASUS users have.........

The op wants to overclock and DFI is the best option........
    Teacozy has shares in DFI!

hehe!

:D

At least I dont have shares in Thermaltake! ewwwwwwwwwww:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

My DFI hasnt given any troube yet, CMOS reloaded ftw

Advertisement