Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pick axe Head and handle assembly

Options
  • 11-06-2006 6:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Very silly question but just bought a Pick axe head and handle. Was expecting the head to locate ~2-3cm from the top. And with some brute force take up this 2-3cm so the top of the head is flush with the top of the shaft.

However the distance is more like 10cm.

I think the best method would be to put the head on as tight as possible. Then cut of the exess from the shaft. Then knock in nails at the head of the handle to expand the head end of the handle.

Do you agree or is there a better method?

cheers
    Trev

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Trev,

Are you sure that you have the head as tight as it will go ?, if you are happy that it is as tight as possible and the handle as dry as possible then you could cut the excess off and use wedges to expand the handle where it finishes at the front of the pick.

If the handle is even slightly damp it will go very loose as soon as it dry's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭tlyons

Thanks, I'll have another play with it this weekend. After talking to an neighbour he reckons just get it as tight as possible and start using it. By the action of using, it will just get tighter.

again Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭AdrianR

After talking to an neighbour he reckons just get it as tight as possible and start using it. By the action of using, it will just get tighter.

Your neighbour's right, don't go putting in wedges, you could end up splitting a chunk off the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭englander

As a matter of interest where do you buy a pick axe from.

I was thinking about buying one but get put off as I dont know where to get one from (I usually end up on a wild goose chase looking for things).

Do Woodies sell them. (Also have a chadwicks near by). In KK.
    Advice above will prob come in handy when I get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Yup - Woodies or Chadwicks will have them.
    Any builders providers or hardware store.

• Advertisement
Advertisement