Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very sick tree - Help please!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Are you sure you didn't ring bark it when you chopped bits off it?
    Have you watered it lately?
    Probably should have left well enough alone, tree was good and you put some chemical on it and it gets sick?
    Maybe you should just leave it alone and see if it pulls through, Looks like a Rowan or Mountain ash from the pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭Dinarius

CJhaughey wrote:
    Are you sure you didn't ring bark it when you chopped bits off it?
    Have you watered it lately?
    Probably should have left well enough alone, tree was good and you put some chemical on it and it gets sick?
    Maybe you should just leave it alone and see if it pulls through, Looks like a Rowan or Mountain ash from the pics.

It's a sumac.

There have been dead branches on it for a while. I put on the Seal and Heal after cutting them off. If it is indeed sick, it was so before I applied the sealer.

I have since been told that as sumac's are fast growing, dead wood is common. However, my main concern was the exposed trunk. That didn't look good.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Dinarius wrote:
    There have been dead branches on it for a while. I put on the Seal and Heal after cutting them off.

Dinarius - I'm not a tree expert, but I did work in landscaping for awhile, and my observations, based on your pics and comments are these:

* Your tree is mature enough that any short-term drying/lack of rain wouldn't really cause serious problems.

* Our suggestions to our landscaping clients was always to forego such things as 'Seal & Heal' b/c you have great intentions, but you can actually be trapping infections inside the tree. Imagine if we kept a plaster on a cut on our body, instead of letting the air on it, we'd be ultimately causing more harm than good. This again probably isn't causing the problem, but it may not be helping in the future either, so I'd suggest to leave any gaps in the bark alone and let Nature do her thing. They look scary and ugly, but they may speed the healing process.

* About what's actually causing the problem, unfortunately I don't know. Have you noticed any other Sumacs in your area having similar problems? If so it may be a disease that's striking the species. I think I've heard that Sumacs are prone to catching things.

* Finally, if there's a spot of decay on the trunk, are you sure the tree's not so old as to be reaching the end of its life?

My gut reaction (although again I'm not an expert) is that some sort of disease/infection has gotten into the tree (possibly through the initial trunk damage/decay). If this is the case, the best hope is to identify what that infection is and treat if possible.

I'm sure this isn't really helpful, but I wish you all the best. It is painful to see a beloved tree in stress. When all else fails, let Nature do her thing.

Advertisement