Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb supplied fixed ip?

• 11-06-2006 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

I signed up to digiweb DSL lite 1Mbps and they supplied a fixed ip which is great but the terms and conditions don't guarantee this and reserve the right to change it. I was just wondering if anybody knew if they bother to change the ip addresses in practice as i was hoping to set a linux box up as a web server for messing around with.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

use dyndns or similar

But your upload speed and cap aren't too compatible with running a web server!

It wont change often

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bibibobo

watty wrote:
    use dyndns or similar

But your upload speed and cap aren't too compatible with running a web server!

It wont change often

upload speed is 128mbps and cap is 10gb which is low but it'll only be a personal webserver not intended for the general public. was looking into some home automation projects etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

bibibobo wrote:
    upload speed is 128mbps and cap is 10gb which is low but it'll only be a personal webserver not intended for the general public. was looking into some home automation projects etc

Well then it doesn't matter if the IP changes sometimes.

check what it is before you do anything or use the free dyndns service and a 3rd party autoupdater of IP to it. (My NAT/touter/firewall even has this facility under Misc).

Advertisement